Dr. Slump Restoration

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akirale Torimaki

Dr. Slump Restoration

Post by Akirale Torimaki » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:48 pm

Forgive me if this isn’t 100% related to Dragon Ball (though I think it relates to DB somewhat due to the characters and setting of Dr. Slump having canonically appeared in DB), but will we ever get to a point where Dr. Slump sees the color corrections and broadcast audio that all of classic Dragon Ball (consisting of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT) got over the years?
I know that, at the very least, Dr. Slump has their own Dragon Box-like releases for home video (N’cha Box for 1st half of Dr. Slump: Arale, Hoyoyo Box for the 2nd half of the 80’s anime, The Movies for all 11 Dr. Slump animated movies, and the 90’s for Doctor Slump (the reboot)). I was wondering though if fans will do the color correcting and collecting of broadcast audio that was done for Dragon Ball (since we all know Dr. Slump is a work of Akira Toriyama and has an in-universe connection to Dragon Ball)?
N’cha! From Penguin Village with Love!

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dr. Slump Restoration

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:19 pm

I sure hope so! I don't see why not!

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:20 pm

It would be nice.

Honestly, Toriyama should take advantage of the Dragon Ball Daima situation next year and push Arale down the throat (well... in a nicer way) to the world. At the end it is his most beloved work, it is not so well known by the general public and he is already living his golden years, it is his chance to make that work of his more worldwide recognized.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:13 pm

Not to be a damper, but... where's the legions of fans willing to do this to the same extent as DB/Z?
Yeah, it made bank back when Toriyama created it (and Kikuchi scored the series), but... almost nothing in comparison.
It's a shame for sure, and you just know that if Toei wasn't what it has always been, then you wouldn't even have to ask this question for this or any other old IP's of theirs.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:13 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:13 pm Not to be a damper, but... where's the legions of fans willing to do this to the same extent as DB/Z?
Yeah, it made bank back when Toriyama created it (and Kikuchi scored the series), but... almost nothing in comparison.
It's a shame for sure, and you just know that if Toei wasn't what it has always been, then you wouldn't even have to ask this question for this or any other old IP's of theirs.
People that have worked on DB CC are absolutely not a "legion", only a couple of guys made this a reality.
Most people are just waiting for things to be done that's all

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:18 am

It's probably much more likely for a fan to release a color corrected, A.I. upscale of the N'cha Box you mentioned earlier.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 am

Joujou wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:13 am People that have worked on DB CC are absolutely not a "legion", only a couple of guys made this a reality.
The demand for such a thing however was undoubtedly high. To the point where the DB Broadcast Audio even reached AB Groupe.
Dr. Slump has, well, become relatively more niche.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:31 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:26 am
Joujou wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:13 am People that have worked on DB CC are absolutely not a "legion", only a couple of guys made this a reality.
The demand for such a thing however was undoubtedly high. To the point where the DB Broadcast Audio even reached AB Groupe.
Dr. Slump has, well, become relatively more niche.
AB was aware about broadcast audios ONLY because someone reached them asking them to include thoses audios "legaly"
it was first declined but it seems they changed their mind and got them by any way since iit was released on BD.
When it was offered, they didn't even knew anything about BA, they even thinked that Toei should have them

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:38 pm

I would be able to die happy if this ever got completed