AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by Caulifor » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:09 pm

I asked AB video on Twitter if there were any news of Volume 2, and they said there are no news at all. Is it possible this one volume is all we're getting?

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:44 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:03 am ...For specifically the Japanese audio, which is what I just said. But you're saying you want to watch the show in a language that's not Japanese. The broadcast audio is important to the Japanese release, so if you're not watching in Japanese, your dub is probably already in better quality.
I assumed broadcast audio might have higher quality music than that found in the English dragon boxes. Either way, I would like to take some of the Japanese voices from old Z and input them into Kai.

I'm only asking if it is possible to separate the voices on the broadcast audio, as I am inexperienced in editing.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:57 pm

Bloodthroe wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:44 pmI assumed broadcast audio might have higher quality music than that found in the English dragon boxes. Either way, I would like to take some of the Japanese voices from old Z and input them into Kai.

I'm only asking if it is possible to separate the voices on the broadcast audio, as I am inexperienced in editing.
If you're looking to do things with the Japanese vocals, then yes, the broadcast audio is the version you should use. If you're looking to replace music or sfx or something, then the international dubs are still probably higher-quality overall, and the ones that are in 5.1 allow you to cleanly remove the voices themselves. If you're looking to rip the JP voices out of Z, you'll need something like UVR or other programs that try to separate the audio, since it's all on a single track.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:25 am

Caulifor wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:09 pm I asked AB video on Twitter if there were any news of Volume 2, and they said there are no news at all. Is it possible this one volume is all we're getting?
I don't think so. It may be that it's just that. They have no news because they have nothing they can or want to share now. They're most likely working on the episodes & will announce anything they have when they're ready.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:07 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:57 pm
Bloodthroe wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:44 pmI assumed broadcast audio might have higher quality music than that found in the English dragon boxes. Either way, I would like to take some of the Japanese voices from old Z and input them into Kai.

If you're looking to do things with the Japanese vocals, then yes, the broadcast audio is the version you should use. If you're looking to replace music or sfx or something, then the international dubs are still probably higher-quality overall, and the ones that are in 5.1 allow you to cleanly remove the voices themselves. If you're looking to rip the JP voices out of Z, you'll need something like UVR or other programs that try to separate the audio, since it's all on a single track.
Make another topic if you're gonna discuss this, thanks.
Caulifor wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:09 pm I asked AB video on Twitter if there were any news of Volume 2, and they said there are no news at all. Is it possible this one volume is all we're getting?
No. AB is just like that.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:01 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:07 am No. AB is just like that.
It's basicaly contractual matter, announcement can't be said before it was planned

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:22 pm

Joujou wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:01 pm
It's basicaly contractual matter, announcement can't be said before it was planned
Huh? What do you mean? They have ndna for when they are allowed to announce?

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:31 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:22 pm
Huh? What do you mean? They have ndna for when they are allowed to announce?
it's not only AB, even outside of France, most of the time, when a company make a release, the announcement is schedule to a contractual date, so even if they know, they'll not say

About AB groupe twitter account, it's not really AB that use it, they use CM to make announcement

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:19 pm

I mean, sure, but they could've at least told us they're working on it. There's been no word since the release of Volume 1.

Well, it is what it is I guess.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:40 am

Caulifor wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:19 pm
I mean, sure, but they could've at least told us they're working on it. There's been no word since the release of Volume 1.

The boxset designer has posted he finished the design for the 2nd boxset of DB on his Twitter account.

Gokii

Post by Gokii » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:34 pm

What’s his Twitter?

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:46 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:40 am
Caulifor wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:19 pm

The boxset designer has posted he finished the design for the 2nd boxset of DB on his Twitter account.
Oh nice, so that's news. Thanks :)

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:01 pm

The question in my mind is, will they continue into Z? Will we have releases rivaling the Level Sets in visual quality? Of course, if they continue at this pace, it would take at least 4 volumes to release the entirety of that and it would take at least another 5 years probably.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:56 am

Time will show. It'd be hilarious, exciting but also frustrating if Toei does a new scan for the 40th year anniversary of the anime.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:28 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:56 am Time will show. It'd be hilarious, exciting but also frustrating if Toei does a new scan for the 40th year anniversary of the anime.
That would depend on how well Toei stored the original elements in their vaults. I'm assuming their vaults are climate-controlled.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:37 pm

The film will absolutely have deteriorated more since last time, but a scan of the original negatives could theoretically perhaps still be more "fixable" than a compressed SD DVD master.

Would I trust Toei themselves to do it right with how consistently they keep making everything Dragon Ball overly green these days, though? Eh...

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:47 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:37 pmWould I trust Toei themselves to do it right with how consistently they keep making everything Dragon Ball overly green these days, though? Eh...
Absolutely not. Bet they still keep doing the "Green Tint", despite non-stop complaints.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:05 pm

Someone please explain to me, does the French bluray have the broadcast audio or not? I saw some posts indicating it didn't, some say it did, I dunno. Has nobody actually checked?

And if it DOES have the broadcast audio, is it the version recorded off VHS leaked onto the internet, or is it some other transfer we don't know about?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:05 pm Someone please explain to me, does the French bluray have the broadcast audio or not? I saw some posts indicating it didn't, some say it did, I dunno. Has nobody actually checked?

And if it DOES have the broadcast audio, is it the version recorded off VHS leaked onto the internet, or is it some other transfer we don't know about?
It does have the broadcast audio. As far as I know it's the exact same version that leaked onto the internet.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:50 pm

How did they get the complete broadcast audio for episode 79? I thought it was impossible due to errors Fuji made when they were trying to broadcast the episode (Kei17 showed examples of that).