AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by omegalucas » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:02 am

DB1984 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:50 pm How did they get the complete broadcast audio for episode 79? I thought it was impossible due to errors Fuji made when they were trying to broadcast the episode (Kei17 showed examples of that).
We don't know yet, the first box set ends with episode 78.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:02 am

DB1984 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:50 pm How did they get the complete broadcast audio for episode 79? I thought it was impossible due to errors Fuji made when they were trying to broadcast the episode (Kei17 showed examples of that).
I thought episode 77 was the one with significant issues (unless Fuji had issues during the first broadcast of both episodes 77 and 79 which is possible I do know for a fact that some fan projects that use the OBA currently available online had to use DBOX audio for parts of episode 77).

With that being said here's a question I have on the topic of that I don't think has been asked in the thread yet. Would the Tokai or Ishikawa broadcasts have those same issues during their airing like Fuji did? I ask because if neither of those airings have those issues and can be tracked down then a complete broadcast audio for either or both episodes (assuming episode 79 indeed has the same kinds of issues as episode 77 did) would exist, granted it'd have more low-pass filtering compared to a Fuji airing but if that'd literally be the only way to get a complete version of both episodes OBA then it has to be done.

I hope OBA for the Tokai and Ishikawa broadcasts for episode 77 (and supposedly 79) surface so we can check and see if those have the same issues as Fuji's original airing.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Re: AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by jaisonas » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:26 am

From what i remember, AB used team Mirolo's audio edit, so presumably whatever edit team M has made, AB has it/will have it as well.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:16 pm

They sure are taking their time with the second set. I expected an announcement by now.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:25 pm

I am fearing Crunchyroll did something to AB Groupe to stop their releases. I cant believe it but French 4kids is the last bastion against the tyranny of Crunchyroll.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:59 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:25 pm I am fearing Crunchyroll did something to AB Groupe to stop their releases. I cant believe it but French 4kids is the last bastion against the tyranny of Crunchyroll.
Don't think Crunchyroll would have that kind of power because the broadcast audio doesn't belong to them. I'd also doubt TOEI did anything, as they did nothing when Manga UK released Kai with the Yamamoto score in 2015. Hopefully AB Groupe is working hard to make Volume 2 as perfect as it can be.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:04 am

I dont mean stop the broadcast audio, I mean just sweep the rights from AB Groupe and just block them from releasing anything. Not even out of a "Neener Neener you will never get the broadcast audio you weaboos!" but rather thier desire to extend their monopoly.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:39 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:04 am just sweep the rights from AB Groupe and just block them from releasing anything.
No, no, no! They have released great releases for years now! Kazé released shit. I really don't know a french company who would do better than what AB has been doing since Dragon Ball Super. Even their DB and DBZ DVD releases were good enough - even though the encoding could have been better.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:40 am

If you'll excuse me, it's probably best to not put these ideas out there until there's some kind of official confirmation of any details about the actions of one company or the other.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:51 am

Yeah, it's ridiculous to be thinking something is blocking AB from releasing. And to say AB should be stopped from releasing is even more ridiclous as they have been doing great releases for a good while. It's a company that has had most of the staff changed. This has been confirmed.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:43 am

1. If anyone here is legitimately preaching to stop AB Groupe from releasing the rest of OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray with their really good AI remaster, you need to shut the fuck up & get happier than your current sad existence.
2. If Crunchyroll can get the AB Groupe remasters for their own future releases at some point in the next few years, I would very much hope that they could get permission from Toei to use the broadcast audio. AB did, so I can't see Toei objecting to Crunchyroll doing the same. Toei doesn't wanna release it themselves because they don't care to for some reason & they've let FUNi shit out cheap, bad remasters since 2007, so I don't really see why they'd care. And if someone's gonna argue reverse importation concerns, that''s only incentive for Toei to do their own releases before the US gets them to provide their home audience with a good product in Japan. It honestly just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't outside of Toei being Toei.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:11 am

I know that's not aimed at me, or at least I THINK it isnt because I NEVER preached AB Groupe should stop, just that Crunchyroll is petty enough to do so. I am glad AB Groupe got better and is facing an evil and heartless mega corp.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:22 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:11 am I know that's not aimed at me, or at least I THINK it isnt because I NEVER preached AB Groupe should stop, just that Crunchyroll is petty enough to do so. I am glad AB Groupe got better and is facing an evil and heartless mega corp.

You didn't?
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:39 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:04 am just sweep the rights from AB Groupe and just block them from releasing anything.
No, no, no! They have released great releases for years now! Kazé released shit. I really don't know a french company who would do better than what AB has been doing since Dragon Ball Super. Even their DB and DBZ DVD releases were good enough - even though the encoding could have been better.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:48 pm

To frame things in proper context:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:25 pm I am fearing Crunchyroll did something to AB Groupe to stop their releases. I cant believe it but French 4kids is the last bastion against the tyranny of Crunchyroll.
Then:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:59 am Don't think Crunchyroll would have that kind of power because the broadcast audio doesn't belong to them. I'd also doubt TOEI did anything, as they did nothing when Manga UK released Kai with the Yamamoto score in 2015. Hopefully AB Groupe is working hard to make Volume 2 as perfect as it can be.
Finally:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:04 am I dont mean stop the broadcast audio, I mean just sweep the rights from AB Groupe and just block them from releasing anything. Not even out of a "Neener Neener you will never get the broadcast audio you weaboos!" but rather thier desire to extend their monopoly.
What's being mentioned here is that this is what said "fears" of Crunchyroll doing something were about. Not in the least bit advocating for that to actually happen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:02 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:22 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:11 am I know that's not aimed at me, or at least I THINK it isnt because I NEVER preached AB Groupe should stop, just that Crunchyroll is petty enough to do so. I am glad AB Groupe got better and is facing an evil and heartless mega corp.

You didn't?
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:39 am
First this is Quote Mining, taking a chunk of a statement to make it seem like I said something. It is a MEGA AWFUL and dishonest practice. I never said AB Groupe should stop. And I dont even know why anyone would THAT'S INSANE. I meant Crunchyroll is so astoundingly amazingly mega fucking awful that it wouldnt really surprise me if they did. They dont even give a shit about the broadcast audio, they care about their monopoly.

EDIT. And thanks for standing up for me Ghost Emperor EX. You really are a great person and poster. I am sorry if I was ever rude to you, you are great.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:02 pm EDIT. And thanks for standing up for me Ghost Emperor EX. You really are a great person and poster. I am sorry if I was ever rude to you, you are great.
No problem, I only just did what I thought was logical.
(Also tbh I made a mistake when I chose my username, would have had it be "GhostXEmperor" but can't really do anything about that now :p)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:22 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:11 am I know that's not aimed at me, or at least I THINK it isn't because I NEVER preached AB Groupe should stop, just that Crunchyroll is petty enough to do so. I am glad AB Groupe got better and is facing an evil and heartless mega corp.
I didn't know who exactly was seeming to be preaching to stop AB Groupe because. I just came here after seeing the notification, so I just made it a blanket statement.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:02 pm First this is Quote Mining, taking a chunk of a statement to make it seem like I said something. It is a MEGA AWFUL and dishonest practice. I never said AB Groupe should stop. And I don't even know why anyone would THAT'S INSANE. I meant Crunchyroll is so astoundingly amazingly mega fucking awful that it wouldn't really surprise me if they did. They dont even give a shit about the broadcast audio, they care about their monopoly.
I think you're blanketing Crunchyroll as a whole with something we haven't exactly seen yet because of a few things out of their control. For 1, they're owned by Sony & 2, FUNimation was absorbed into them. Now, FUNimation definitely cared about being a monopoly since they bought out Manga UK & made them part of their empire, but let them keep their regular branding. They just forced them to conform to releasing the exact same products they were in the US. Sony, I assume in some attempt to bring everything together under 1 umbrella, folded FUNi into Crunchyroll. Now, I'd assume that FUNimation was the bigger name because they existed longer & were a dubbing company rather than just a streaming service. However, due to various controversies over the years (their inconsistent dubbing practices over the years with various anime, their continual shitty remasters of DBZ, the Vic Mignogna firing, etc), it probably seemed logical to them to phase out the FUNimation branding to try to get rid of all that baggage. Notice how Crunchyroll hasn't attempted to do a new remaster of DBZ themselves to try to right the wrongs of FUNimations past. Instead, they're just rereleasing their older masters in newer packaging.

1. DB Super got the Blu-Ray steelbook set.
2. GT got a redone Complete Series DVD set.
3. Z got the shitty 2013-14 remasters rebranded in 3 3-season Blu-Ray sets with new packaging.

1 a year for the last 3 years. The only things they have left to do a new version of are OG DB, the 4 DB movies, the 15 DBZ movies, & Super: Broly. Also, maybe season sets for DB Super, which I don't know why FUNi didn't do those already, but whatever. It's literally low effort content for the mot money they could feasibly make. Hell, I'm kinda surprised they haven't announced a limited rerelease of the Dragon Boxes to try to make another buck off the franchise yet.

Crunchyroll don't come off to me like they care to be a monopoly. It's more than likely due to Sony, as their parent company, having them do things. From a larger company standpoint, Sony wants to consolidate as many things as they can into 1 thing. Business-wise, it makes sense & I'm not surprised it's happened. Sony are pretty obvious & transparent as a company, just look at how they make their movies & how PlayStation operates.

Now, odds are the people at Crunchyroll have heard about the AB Groupe remaster & people have told them if they get those masters & put them out in English-speaking territories, they'll buy them on social media. Funnily enough, OG DB is the least rereleased series in North America, since it hasn't had any rereleases since the Blue Bricks in 2009 (also, random, but looking on Amazon, the individual listings for them are unavailable to buy, so maybe they're planning something) & this would be the perfect time to announce new DVDs & Blu-Rays of OG DB. Since Daima's also in the works & is gonna de-age the cast as well, I think if they plan, market, & execute this right, they could easily use 2024 as the 40th anniversary of the manga to give us a good product for OG DB. Literally, all they need to do is get the AB Groupe remaster, sync the dub audio to it (maybe license the insert songs & put them back into the mix like they should be), get permission to include the broadcast audio on the discs, & they'd be just fine. Literally, they don't have to do much & the most money they'd have to spend is on the masters. This is literally a slam dunk for them if they just do this. It's also literally, the most minimum effort they'd have to put in & they'd make a lot of money off it. The original DB's also been out of the limelight for so long & the companies involved have heavily focused on Z nostalgia the last 10-15 years that it'd be refreshing to get some OG DB spotlight with the newest HD upscale masters being released stateside.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:49 pm

Based on usual DB releases in France, you can't expect volume 2 to be released until at least a year has passed since the release of volume 1.
And the release probably won't be announced much ahead of the actual release date.

So if you want my advice, just consider you won't have volume 2 until a complete year has passed, nor will you have an announcement for it until we get closer to that date if you ask me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:03 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:22 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:11 am I know that's not aimed at me, or at least I THINK it isn't because I NEVER preached AB Groupe should stop, just that Crunchyroll is petty enough to do so. I am glad AB Groupe got better and is facing an evil and heartless mega corp.
I didn't know who exactly was seeming to be preaching to stop AB Groupe because. I just came here after seeing the notification, so I just made it a blanket statement.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:02 pm First this is Quote Mining, taking a chunk of a statement to make it seem like I said something. It is a MEGA AWFUL and dishonest practice. I never said AB Groupe should stop. And I don't even know why anyone would THAT'S INSANE. I meant Crunchyroll is so astoundingly amazingly mega fucking awful that it wouldn't really surprise me if they did. They dont even give a shit about the broadcast audio, they care about their monopoly.
I think you're blanketing Crunchyroll as a whole with something we haven't exactly seen yet because of a few things out of their control. For 1, they're owned by Sony & 2, FUNimation was absorbed into them. Now, FUNimation definitely cared about being a monopoly since they bought out Manga UK & made them part of their empire, but let them keep their regular branding. They just forced them to conform to releasing the exact same products they were in the US. Sony, I assume in some attempt to bring everything together under 1 umbrella, folded FUNi into Crunchyroll. Now, I'd assume that FUNimation was the bigger name because they existed longer & were a dubbing company rather than just a streaming service. However, due to various controversies over the years (their inconsistent dubbing practices over the years with various anime, their continual shitty remasters of DBZ, the Vic Mignogna firing, etc), it probably seemed logical to them to phase out the FUNimation branding to try to get rid of all that baggage. Notice how Crunchyroll hasn't attempted to do a new remaster of DBZ themselves to try to right the wrongs of FUNimations past. Instead, they're just rereleasing their older masters in newer packaging.

1. DB Super got the Blu-Ray steelbook set.
2. GT got a redone Complete Series DVD set.
3. Z got the shitty 2013-14 remasters rebranded in 3 3-season Blu-Ray sets with new packaging.

1 a year for the last 3 years. The only things they have left to do a new version of are OG DB, the 4 DB movies, the 15 DBZ movies, & Super: Broly. Also, maybe season sets for DB Super, which I don't know why FUNi didn't do those already, but whatever. It's literally low effort content for the mot money they could feasibly make. Hell, I'm kinda surprised they haven't announced a limited rerelease of the Dragon Boxes to try to make another buck off the franchise yet.

Crunchyroll don't come off to me like they care to be a monopoly. It's more than likely due to Sony, as their parent company, having them do things. From a larger company standpoint, Sony wants to consolidate as many things as they can into 1 thing. Business-wise, it makes sense & I'm not surprised it's happened. Sony are pretty obvious & transparent as a company, just look at how they make their movies & how PlayStation operates.

Now, odds are the people at Crunchyroll have heard about the AB Groupe remaster & people have told them if they get those masters & put them out in English-speaking territories, they'll buy them on social media. Funnily enough, OG DB is the least rereleased series in North America, since it hasn't had any rereleases since the Blue Bricks in 2009 (also, random, but looking on Amazon, the individual listings for them are unavailable to buy, so maybe they're planning something) & this would be the perfect time to announce new DVDs & Blu-Rays of OG DB. Since Daima's also in the works & is gonna de-age the cast as well, I think if they plan, market, & execute this right, they could easily use 2024 as the 40th anniversary of the manga to give us a good product for OG DB. Literally, all they need to do is get the AB Groupe remaster, sync the dub audio to it (maybe license the insert songs & put them back into the mix like they should be), get permission to include the broadcast audio on the discs, & they'd be just fine. Literally, they don't have to do much & the most money they'd have to spend is on the masters. This is literally a slam dunk for them if they just do this. It's also literally, the most minimum effort they'd have to put in & they'd make a lot of money off it. The original DB's also been out of the limelight for so long & the companies involved have heavily focused on Z nostalgia the last 10-15 years that it'd be refreshing to get some OG DB spotlight with the newest HD upscale masters being released stateside.
This is a way better way to disagree with my post. These are pretty well written, well thought out arguments.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:42 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:22 pm 3. Z got the shitty 2013-14 remasters rebranded in 3 3-season Blu-Ray sets with new packaging.
The 3-in-1 season packages were Walmart exclusives and retained the Funimation branding, but yes, much to the disappointment of a lot of fans they marked the return to the 16:9 discs.

The 16:9 Blu-Rays also got the GT treatment by being redone with Crunchyroll's logo replacing Funimation's. Arguably these were even lazier than the Crunchyroll GT Complete Series DVD because at least for GT they designed a new cover.

As for Z....

Literally the front and back cover was exactly what Funimation used in 2013/14.

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: