Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:50 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:23 pm
super michael wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:02 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:27 pm

I'm not quite trusting a Spanish website to have it right. I'll wait and see what happens.
I believe it is true. In one paragraph it says there will be 20 episodes. In the second paragraph it say 26 episode. The word that I don't know the meaning is doblajes..
That's contrary. The word means dubs.

I am a native spanish speaker and I just cant wrap my head around people not knowing such a simple word like Doblaje. Oh well, my dad doesnt understand the concept itself either.

Also there was a sub link there, where Daniel Castañeda, head of Toei's international affairs, explained that Daima will have 20 episode and that they NORMALLY wait at least until they have 26 episodes to work with. But this will be 20 episodes long and have a worldwide simultaneous release. And my wish of it airing on TV will come true in 2025.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:09 pm

That's good news, so this pretty much proofs that it's indeed going to be a web series, good to hear that we are going to get official subs at the same time just as planned, plus, the episode count pretty much implies that the series will go through 2025, but that could still not be the case, we still don't know how the episodes are going to be released, they could try releasing the full series in a single day or have two or more episodes releasing per week, that plus where's the series is going to be streaming are the info we don't have yet.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:21 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:02 pm I believe it is true. In one paragraph it says there will be 20 episodes. In the second paragraph it say 26 episode. The word that I don't know the meaning is doblajes.
It isn't a contradiction. Daniel Castañeda was just commenting about how Toei LA distributed the company's properties in the past.

They would usually wait for 26 or 52 episodes to have aired in Japan but now with Daima, it will be the first time they're gonna release it at the same time as other territories:
SPA

"Usualmente
todas las producciones que tenemos primero se estrenan en Japón y como seis meses después las estrenamos internacionalmente porque nos esperamos a tener 26 capítulos para empezar doblajes y demás; y ya las podemos estrenar en otros territorios. Esta es la primera vez que vamos a lanzar una serie worldwide al mismo tiempo"

ENG
We usually have to wait for productions to premiere in Japan and six months later after that, we premiere them internationally because we wait to have 26 episodes to start dubbing and etc. This will be the first time we are going to premiere a series at the same time worldwide"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:26 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:09 pm That's good news, so this pretty much proofs that it's indeed going to be a web series, good to hear that we are going to get official subs at the same time just as planned, plus, the episode count pretty much implies that the series will go through 2025, but that could still not be the case, we still don't know how the episodes are going to be released, they could try releasing the full series in a single day or have two or more episodes releasing per week, that plus where's the series is going to be streaming are the info we don't have yet.
Not just subs but simultaneous dubbing as well.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:38 pm

Yeah I know I just don't care about dubs, I hope that the official sub will be accurate to the japanese dialogue, keeping the original names and terms, I really don't like how in the games in you can change the audio to japanese but the translated text remains the same, with all those awful (imo) Funimation changes.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:05 am

An anime being 20 episodes is pretty much entirely unheard of. Almost all anime nowadays are either 12-13 episodes, or 24-26 (with the occasional show that's 10, usually in such small amounts per year that you could count them on one hand). It's probably 26.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:16 am

I too hope its at least A BIT longer. Maybe it IS a web series and those are the episodes that will be available on the first day. I have nothing to fear however. Toei Animation's Daniel Castañeda has said the series will air on TV Abierta (Broadcast TV) on 2025.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:48 am

Tian wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:21 pm
super michael wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:02 pm I believe it is true. In one paragraph it says there will be 20 episodes. In the second paragraph it say 26 episode. The word that I don't know the meaning is doblajes.
It isn't a contradiction. Daniel Castañeda was just commenting about how Toei LA distributed the company's properties in the past.

They would usually wait for 26 or 52 episodes to have aired in Japan but now with Daima, it will be the first time they're gonna release it at the same time as other territories:
SPA

"Usualmente
todas las producciones que tenemos primero se estrenan en Japón y como seis meses después las estrenamos internacionalmente porque nos esperamos a tener 26 capítulos para empezar doblajes y demás; y ya las podemos estrenar en otros territorios. Esta es la primera vez que vamos a lanzar una serie worldwide al mismo tiempo"

ENG
We usually have to wait for productions to premiere in Japan and six months later after that, we premiere them internationally because we wait to have 26 episodes to start dubbing and etc. This will be the first time we are going to premiere a series at the same time worldwide"

Thanks for the translation.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:50 pm

I believe it is true. In one paragraph it says there will be 20 episodes. In the second paragraph it say 26 episode. The word that I don't know the meaning is doblajes..

I am a native spanish speaker and I just cant wrap my head around people not knowing such a simple word like Doblaje. Oh well, my dad doesnt understand the concept itself either.

Also there was a sub link there, where Daniel Castañeda, head of Toei's international affairs, explained that Daima will have 20 episode and that they NORMALLY wait at least until they have 26 episodes to work with. But this will be 20 episodes long and have a worldwide simultaneous release. And my wish of it airing on TV will come true in 2025.
Are you saying Toei confirmed it'll be 20 episodes and it's going web first then TV after? I hope there will be new dubs like Scandinavian dubs. Daima could be a place for new fans to start.
Dr. Casey wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:05 am An anime being 20 episodes is pretty much entirely unheard of. Almost all anime nowadays are either 12-13 episodes, or 24-26 (with the occasional show that's 10, usually in such small amounts per year that you could count them on one hand). It's probably 26.
Is it for web anime though?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:29 am

I am not sure, I am just speculating but that could indeed be the case and what I meant to say. But again, no proof so take it with a grain of salt.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:40 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:27 pm

I'm not quite trusting a Spanish website to have it right. I'll wait and see what happens.
So that is what it means thanks. Anyway if Digimon Adventure 2 movie comes out on cinemas at the date mentions, then there is more reason to believe. It is only 1 month away.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:50 pm I am a native spanish speaker and I just cant wrap my head around people not knowing such a simple word like Doblaje. Oh well, my dad doesnt understand the concept itself either.

My 1st language isn't spanish, so there are words that I don't know. There are words that I haven't heard before in spanish.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:55 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:40 pm My native language isn't spanish, so there are words that I don't know. There are words that I haven't heard before in spanish.
Don't worry, it's okay.

Given you speak a Germanic family language as your native one, it's understandable you can't instantly recognize the word Doblaje and its other Romance variants like Dublagem / Dobragem (Brazil and Portugal respectively), Dublaje (Romania), Doppiagio (Italy) and Doublage (France)

But you can still recognize others like Dubbaukset (Finland) and Dubbingowy (Poland) since they share the "Dubbing" root.

In fact, there are some countries that don't even use the word "dubbing" but "synchronisation" like Germany (Synchronisation), Croatia (Sinkronizacija), Serbia (Sinhronizacija) and Hungary (Szinkron)

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:20 pm

Tian wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:55 pmDoppiagio (Italy)
*doppiaggio

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:38 pm

nineko wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:20 pm
Tian wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:55 pmDoppiagio (Italy)
*doppiaggio
Thanks for the correction! For some reason, I sometimes remember it with one "g".

Now back to the main topic...

Since Daniel Castañeda mentioned they have no plans to make any free air TV deals until 2025 (this means temporary exclusivity), this creates two scenarios, at least for LATAM:

1) A Crunchyroll release. Something that I really hope it doesn't happen because I'm not too fond of Crunchyroll.

2) A cable or private channel release. My bet is that the new Adult Swim + Toonami channel will be the one to premiere Daima in case this happens.

Since, as some of you know, Cartoon Network LATAM stopped airing the franchise in 2021 to move it to Warner Channel's Wanime block, which isn't very reliable with their programming and seems to be likely removed once the new Adult Swim + Toonami channel catches on.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:38 pm Yeah I know I just don't care about dubs, I hope that the official sub will be accurate to the japanese dialogue, keeping the original names and terms, I really don't like how in the games in you can change the audio to japanese but the translated text remains the same, with all those awful (imo) Funimation changes.
Accurate to the dialog yes but expect Funi localizations like Nimbus and Power Pole and Shenron and Frieza to be used. For whatever reason Toei has been insisting on dub terminology in their subtitles for a while now. It happened with Digimon Tri too where the Bandai of America names got used in the subtitles and Chosen Children was rendered as the Saban "Digidestined" . Even the 97 Dr.Slump anime when it was on Tubi used Funi isms in the subtitles for the Dragon Ball crossover

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 am
Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:38 pm Yeah I know I just don't care about dubs, I hope that the official sub will be accurate to the japanese dialogue, keeping the original names and terms, I really don't like how in the games in you can change the audio to japanese but the translated text remains the same, with all those awful (imo) Funimation changes.
Accurate to the dialog yes but expect Funi localizations like Nimbus and Power Pole and Shenron and Frieza to be used. For whatever reason Toei has been insisting on dub terminology in their subtitles for a while now. It happened with Digimon Tri too where the Bandai of America names got used in the subtitles and Chosen Children was rendered as the Saban "Digidestined" . Even the 97 Dr.Slump anime when it was on Tubi used Funi isms in the subtitles for the Dragon Ball crossover
This mandate from Toei about using FUNi's own dub names and terms in the subtitled version is very odd, is it being done for like brand unification purposes or something? I'm legit reminded of what was done on the first two DVD's that FUNimation released in house back in 2000 (Captain Ginyu: Assault and Double Cross) where for some reason Simmons' subs used dub names for some reason even without that being his intention. So you had it reading as Goku (without the Son attached), Krillin, Guru, Frieza and so on instead of the names they really are in the Japanese version. Of course, this was somewhat understandable in hindsight given it was FUNi's very first stab early on at releasing DVD's themselves at the time and this was just one of the many flaws of those earliest releases. Now, this though seems to be a coordinated executive decision mandated from on high at Toei for some kind of marketing/brand reason.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:12 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:26 am
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:48 pm
Shaddy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:13 pm I vote for axing Mira and Towa and creating characters to replace them who are fun instead of dry boring assholes
There's nothing wrong with the characters. It's how they're used that matters. Same with Fu. I loved him in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, but in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, he's super boring and cliched. I think Toriyama could do something fun with them, if he wanted to. Kinda surprised they're still only sorta soft canon.
That is correct, the issue isn't the characters but how they are written. A character can change for the better or worse, without any explanation.

Just look at Goku in DBS he isn't anything like his DBZ version, which includes DB Manga when he is a adult. Amazing character in Z, but super lame in DBS.

My point is just because a character is boring, bad, lame, etc, in the past, that doesn't mean they have continue being like that in the future.
You are right however you are preaching to the choir. Fans do not want any new characters at all just keep rehashing the same old ones. Hell, even the attempt to try and "redo" old characters is hated on which is why you still get that bullshit headcannon about " Z broly wasnt crying it was his primal nature" :D (which funny enough only came up when ppl started liking super broly more). So i cant really get mad when they bring back Cell #2 or a Majin Buu #3 with no visual/character changes. There is less of a backlash from bringing characters like those back than making a new character.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:45 pm

super michael wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:52 am
Noah wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:44 pm Unlike the majority who usually like to disdain anything made by Toei regarding the franchise, I consider these two designs the best for the younger versions of Vegeta and Mutenroshi.
I don't believe we saw Kid Vegeta in the manga at all, while Master Roshi he showed a picture of himself when he used to be young. When he explained how he knew Master Shen.
Bulma assumed Master Roshi was always bald.

Remember this Goku and Vegeta had their tails as a kid, but I don't see any tail on them now in Dragon Ball Saima. They didn't lose their tails until they were adults, which they couldn't grow back.

Now that I think about it, we never saw baby Goten before, this is the first time seeing him. However making him into a baby so he can't do anything, that I am against.
Of course we didn't this are anime exclusive designs, but Toriyama prefer Vegeta and Roshi the other way around, meh...

What you mean about nor Goku or Vegeta having tails while being children on this? Probably that the spell is just turn them small and not revert their age? That doesn't make sense seeing Goten and Trunks (sadly) as babies.
Skar wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:45 am
Noah wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:05 pmI don't know why people keep repeating this nonsense. Did they forget that the anime came first and was the main product? That the manga initially served only to promote the series? DBS (anime) was never adapted from anything other than the outlines that Toriyama provided to both Toei and Toyotaro. Therefore, they are not obligated to do anything related to Moro, Granola, or anything else. In fact, the only good part about DBD thing is finally ending this discussion: as it is now clear that Toei, Bandai, and Shueisha couldn't care less about this manga, having no mentions of exclusive events that happenned there in any animated media.
I'm not sure why the manga is treated like Toyotaro went rogue and writing whatever he wants. It's still supervised by Toriyama and outselling some manga that have an ongoing anime adaptation. This is an unrelated anime for the 40th anniversery and not evidence that the manga will never be adapted.
Mate, don't you think it's weird that the producers didn't take the safe route? Coming back with Super 2 (including Toyotaro's stuff) would be way more acceptable and profitable than a short anime just to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the franchise.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:18 pmToei has pretty much mention that they specifically keep canon vague so that anyone can get into the anime/manga/movie without much confusion.
You know sometimes I have this same theory too, even though there are people posting that pic of an event that says Super is the official continuation of the original manga, which, to me, is nothing more than a mistranslation of the original, the DB producers don't care about establishing a timeline or an official continuity for the series as a whole precisely for this reason.
dragonballhero wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:31 pm For that matter, I pray Black Frieza (if Gohan does get involved in that situation) utterly WRECKS Beast Gohan. Once we get to that point of Super, I just really don't want there to be a situation where Gohan simply needs to activate Beast and we're done. Like, with all the build-up to Frieza, that guy better DESTROY the entire Dragon Team, to prove all that decade-long training was certainly NOT a waste of time.
Look, as much as I think that would be visually cool, what would it bring us? Black Freeza is stronger than Goku and Vegeta, but a fusion of the two would be enough to turn the tables, and even if not, what progress would we have if Freeza was indeed defined as the strongest?

Unfortunately, I don't think we have creative enough writers to create a different story where:

1. A stronger enemy would suddenly appear out of nowhere and shatter Black Frieza into pieces.
2. Black Frieza would be defeated by the team efforts of the Dragon Team.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:45 pm Of course we didn't this are anime exclusive designs, but Toriyama prefer Vegeta and Roshi the other way around, meh...

What you mean about nor Goku or Vegeta having tails while being children on this? Probably that the spell is just turn them small and not revert their age? That doesn't make sense seeing Goten and Trunks (sadly) as babies.

I guess when the anime is on, we will find out what the wish was. For some it looks like they were turned into chibi version, while some has de-aged. Goten and Trunks looks like they de-aged, just like the Pilaf Gang who turned into babies.
Noah wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:45 pm You are right however you are preaching to the choir. Fans do not want any new characters at all just keep rehashing the same old ones. Hell, even the attempt to try and "redo" old characters is hated on which is why you still get that bullshit headcannon about " Z broly wasnt crying it was his primal nature" :D (which funny enough only came up when ppl started liking super broly more). So i cant really get mad when they bring back Cell #2 or a Majin Buu #3 with no visual/character changes. There is less of a backlash from bringing characters like those back than making a new character.
I have no problem with new characters, new characters are a good surprise.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:22 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:45 pm You are right however you are preaching to the choir. Fans do not want any new characters at all just keep rehashing the same old ones. Hell, even the attempt to try and "redo" old characters is hated on which is why you still get that bullshit headcannon about " Z broly wasnt crying it was his primal nature" :D (which funny enough only came up when ppl started liking super broly more). So i cant really get mad when they bring back Cell #2 or a Majin Buu #3 with no visual/character changes. There is less of a backlash from bringing characters like those back than making a new character.
Yes and i agree but the portion of the fandom that does is in the minority compared to the majority in the fandom who vehemently say they do not want any new characters at all. Sure a rehash one will get some gripes "like oh they are running outta ideas" but thats about it. Compared to an entirely new character man ppl were acting like Toriyama shot someones dog when he made the Gammas :D

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:32 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm
super michael wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:22 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:45 pm You are right however you are preaching to the choir. Fans do not want any new characters at all just keep rehashing the same old ones. Hell, even the attempt to try and "redo" old characters is hated on which is why you still get that bullshit headcannon about " Z broly wasnt crying it was his primal nature" :D (which funny enough only came up when ppl started liking super broly more). So i cant really get mad when they bring back Cell #2 or a Majin Buu #3 with no visual/character changes. There is less of a backlash from bringing characters like those back than making a new character.
Yes and i agree but the portion of the fandom that does is in the minority compared to the majority in the fandom who vehemently say they do not want any new characters at all. Sure a rehash one will get some gripes "like oh they are running outta ideas" but thats about it. Compared to an entirely new character man ppl were acting like Toriyama shot someones dog when he made the Gammas :D
Oh yeah before Super Hero came out there was a lot of people whining and crying, but then it arrived, and people watched it, and people liked it! Daima is probably going to be very similar. We're in the period now with crying and gashing of teeth, simply because its not what they expected, or because they were still somehow holding out hope for Super to return... but it'll come out, it'll probably be pretty good, and people will move on to fretting over the next thing :D

In general, the fandom is fickle and melodramatic. It's best to ignore them.