The first Tree of Might dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

The first Tree of Might dub

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:33 am

Is there any record of when the Funi/Ocean dub of Tree of Might was done? The main reason why I'm wondering is the fact that King Kai used the word death wich is somthing that seemed to be corrected pretty quickly (thought never changes for the Tree of Might).

I was wondering if this was another "test" dub similar to Dead Zone's original dub but this one shaping up more to how the final dub looked and then ultimatly ending up as a mini-saga between the Saiyan and Nameka arc.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The first Tree of Might dub

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:23 pm

It was recorded as part of season 2. Karl Willems is listed as the voice director and 5 writers are credited instead of Sarah Ann-Dafoe and just the 2 writers ala season 1.

Kid networks BS&P are always pretty fickle about how they feel about the word death but usually seem okay with it as an expression and not in reference to a characters actually passing. Bulma got to say "If we crash and die I'm gonna be very upset" in season 2 as well.

"The Tree of Death" line was probably given the okay because it was just a moniker for the tree and not a statement of fact about someone's demise

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:23 pm It was recorded as part of season 2. Karl Willems is listed as the voice director and 5 writers are credited instead of Sarah Ann-Dafoe and just the 2 writers ala season 1.

Kid networks BS&P are always pretty fickle about how they feel about the word death but usually seem okay with it as an expression and not in reference to a characters actually passing. Bulma got to say "If we crash and die I'm gonna be very upset" in season 2 as well.

"The Tree of Death" line was probably given the okay because it was just a moniker for the tree and not a statement of fact about someone's demise
Good points! Thank you for clearning that up! Also don't know how I missed the crash and die line

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:04 am

It's strange that this particular version of the movie was even a thing. Like why randomly dub movie 3 and turn it into a 3 part episode, when it clearly has no connection to the main story?

Still I do enjoy this version for Corlett's performance and the Ron Wasserman score. It's good that the Rock the Dragon collection finally made it available on a home release.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:11 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:04 am It's strange that this particular version of the movie was even a thing. Like why randomly dub movie 3 and turn it into a 3 part episode, when it clearly has no connection to the main story?

Still I do enjoy this version for Corlett's performance and the Ron Wasserman score. It's good that the Rock the Dragon collection finally made it available on a home release.
Probably the same reason the Future Trunks arc in Super happened - because evil Goku is a marketable concept, and Funimation wanted fans to think it was part of the main story.

Agreed about Rock the Dragon, it's a shame the Sabanized version had to be exclusive to that box set though. Would have been a great extra on any re-releases of Tree of Might.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:23 am

90sDBZ wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:04 am It's strange that this particular version of the movie was even a thing. Like why randomly dub movie 3 and turn it into a 3 part episode, when it clearly has no connection to the main story?

It was where 90 percent of Rock the Dragon's footage came from so maybe Funimation just really liked the movie?

It's also funny it took until 2013(?) for the Saban/Funi version to get a home media release since it was probably the version most 90s/00s kids thought of since it played on Toonami a hundred gazillion times.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:35 pm

It's funny because I was about to post this in the Non Thread-worthy discussions page, but saw this was an active topic and thought it'd be a good place to mention this:

I was browsing around my local used book store and happened upon the original Pioneer DVD release of this movie for a little over six bucks, and while I already own all 17 original DB/Z movies in MUCH better quality, I figured it was worth picking up if only for the novelty of being the very second ever DBZ DVD release in the USA from all the way back in March of 1998 (the first Z movie "Dead Zone" being the first in December of 1997, and the second movie "The World's Strongest" was third in May of 1998; yeah, for some reason they released them in order of 1,3,2 lol), as well as the fact that this particular version of the movie not only kept the Japanese music score and had dub dialogue that, very much unlike the simultaneously-produced-by-the-same-people dub of the show, was pretty faithful to the Japanese script, but also had the Japanese language track with subtitles (which I always prefer 100,000% over ANY FUNimation dub lol, 1996 or otherwise lol), and aside from the second movie's release two months later, was the last to do so until FUNimation began releasing their singles on DVD with dual audio over two years later, starting, strangely, with the two "Trunks Saga" volumes in June of 2000 (as all of the Pioneer DVDs of the FUNi/Saban dub of the show released throughout most of 1999 featured only their terrible, heavily edited/censored English-language version, because it sadly would have been impossible to include the Japanese track with the sheer amount of egregious and extreme edits that they made...).

What I found REALLY interesting, though, was this: when I was about to pull off the little price sticker the store puts on its used items, I noticed a little something: it says it stars Sean Schemmel... which is hilarious because, again, that DVD was released in March of 1998... well over a year before Sean even uttered his very first (terribly acted) line into a microphone in mid-1999 lol

I mean, I know I shouldn't expect a small used book store chain that handles hundreds of thousands of items to know the tiny idiosyncrasies of the "evolution" of FUNimation's DBZ dub in the late '90s, but it's still funny. And what makes it even MORE hilarious is that I also found and bought the first "Ultimate Uncut Edition" volume that came out in 2005, again, for no other reason than arbitrary, pointless novelty (again, I have much better versions of the entire franchise that I vastly prefer to watch and will likely never watch more than a few minutes of any of these DVDs I just bought... but I'm a weird collector nerd and they were cheap lmao), and its sticker said Jōji Yanami, which at least in this case, is actually true lol (or at least it tried to... for some reason it instead says "J JI YANAM" XD)

P.S. I know this version technically isn't the one that's being discussed on this thread, but rather the 3-episode TV broadcast version that had the Wasserman/Levy score unfortunately shoehorned in to replace the vastly superior Kikuchi score, I just thought it was a funny little thing and close enough to what was being discussed lol