Is Dragon Ball GT an Alternate Timeline?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Re: Is Dragon Ball GT an Alternate Timeline?

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:08 am

SaiyamanMS wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:51 am I see GT as an alternate timeline to Super, which is more or less how it was depicted in Xenoverse 2 by my recollection. However, Beerus not waking up isn’t the original diversion point, it’s actually much earlier when the Pilaf gang obtained the Dragon Balls and wished for their youth. The Pilaf gang as depicted in GT clearly never had their youth restored.

Even if Beerus awoke in a timeline where the Pilaf gang weren’t children, its possible that Bulma’s birthday could have played out differently with him leaving without incident. (Or he could have just slept through and not come to Earth.)

The Freeza force only found the Earth’s Dragon Balls with the cooperation of the Pilaf gang, so they couldn’t have revived Freeza. Also, if the conflict with Beerus never happened, Goku and Vegeta would still be present on Earth.

Once again, without Goku and the others being involved with Beerus, the Universe 6 tournament would have never happened, Zamasu would have never met Goku and the Tournament of Power wouldn’t have happened. The Freeza force wouldn’t have found and recruited Broly to fight the Earth Saiyans.

I’d need to refresh myself on the Moro and Granolah arcs to figure out how or what could have happened there, but the Red Ribbon revival would probably be a much lesser threat with Goku and Vegeta on Earth, even without their training with Whis, meaning no Orange Piccolo or Beast Gohan.

But yeah, Super and GT can’t exist in the same continuity, but they can both fit within the wider Dragon Ball mythos as alternate timelines.
Also black frieza,true ultra instinct goku,and ultra ego vegeta are a thing

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:25 am

Yes, it is. But it's a bit more complicated than that. Besides the aforementioned differences between it and Dragon Ball Super, there's also Coola's appearance and Vegeta knowing the fusion dance, which can be fully explained if we take Movie 12 into consideration, which would imply Dragon Ball GT takes place in the same dimension as the movies (something Dragon Ball Heroes corroborates, as the Time Patrollers acknowledge them).

So Dragon Ball GT takes place in an alternate timeline of another dimension. One way to understand this is by knowing that one can't simply take the Time Machine and go there. Something else is needed. I already covered it if you need more context.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:03 am It's impossible to have both in the same timeline. For example:
I also forgot to wrote that Pilaf does not recognized Goku as an adult despite seeing him grown up in Super. Also, the Pilaf gang are old and evil. In Super, they seem to move on from taking over the world. Goku said that Super One Star Dragon (Omega Shenron) is the strongest person that he has ever met. If you take Super into account that means he is stronger than Zeno which is stupid.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:07 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:03 am Freeza is way stronger and won't team up with a weakling like Cell
Now that's the problem with comparing GT and Super. They both follow different rules.
How can you know Frieza in DBS is stronger than in GT? Because in GT he lost to base Goku? Yeah, but also in GT he had trained for many many years so i could say it's just Goku in GT is just so powerful.

If we were to apply DBS logic to GT then GT Frieza is stronger (at least if we compare 4th form in GT to his 4th form in Super) because he trained for much longer. If we do not apply DBS logic then we can't really compare them. Do i believe GT Frieza is stronger than DBS Frieza? No. If we go by logic then obviously he is not. But if we went by logic then many official statements in DB wouldn't make sense. That's why all the GT vs Super power discussions are nothing but just assumptions. No one will prove SSJ4 is stronger than SSJ Blue and vice versa. Heroes is the closest thing we could rely on but it's still not undebatable considering Heroes characters are not exactly DBS/GT characters either and it's still just a video game. The only difference is it having anime/manga versions.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:37 pm If you take Super into account that means he is stronger than Zeno which is stupid.
To be fair i wouldn't count Zeno in such statements. Characters like Jiren, Hit etc. sure, but not Zeno. First of all, Goku didn't fight Zeno. But we do not know how strong Zeno is. Yes, he can erase universes. But i see it more like his ability to erase them, not pure power. It's not like he creates a very big explosion that just blows up everything. It's like Beerus and his Hakai. It's his ability. He erases someone, not blows someone. Zeno might be physically very weak actually. I mean he couldn't even catch up with fights in ToP because some fighters were just too fast.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:15 am

I like to think U12 Guys timeline is a timeline altered so long ago that butterfly effect meant Saiyans have SS4 instead of God forms.

But it's not GT because there is canon breaking shit in there like how the afterlife works etc, just a GT esque timeline, this is where the DB heroes Xeno characters come from.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:25 pm

My head canon is GT is an alternate timeline where most of the movies happened while following the anime not manga.

GurixDr34

Post by GurixDr34 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:39 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:45 am It is an alternate/side timeline that obviously cannot exist in the Main Super continuity.

The moment you have to erase major Super characters like the Gods of Destruction, you basically agree that GT is incompatible with Super.

But even without the Gods of Destruction, you would have to explain why Sorbet never resurrected Frieza, why Moro never broke free, why the Gamma androids and Cell Max were never created, etc.

And if you say that the DBZ movies exist in GT continuity, you say that the Super Broly movie is also incompatible with GT. Since Super Broly is a good guy while DBZ Broly is pure evil.
I think in GT Universe all the Old Dragon Ball Z Movies are Canon so the Broly from GT Universe is the Original Broly from the Old Movies in GT to know who Gogeta was you needed to watch the Fusion Movie GT Trunks Sword is the Tapion Sword Cooler and Android 19 appeared in the Super Android 17 Saga so it is very likely that the Old Dragon Ball Z Anime not Kai and the Old Dragon Ball Z Movies Pre Super are part of the same Universe so in GT Universe the Gods of Destruction probably never existed GT is just an Alternate Universe different from the Canonical Universe

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:11 am

There are a few timelines as far as I'm concerned

There's the manga timelines
- Dragon Ball (original run)
- Dragon Ball (original run) - Dragon Ball Super (manga) - Dragon Ball (original run)

Then there's the anime timelines:
- Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Ball GT (original anime run, made as one continuation)
- Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Ball Super - Dragon Ball Z

Then there's the movies:
- Battle of the Gods - Resurrection F - Broly - Super Hero
The original Z Broly movies are also connected to each other, as are the Cooler movies, but in general, the original movies aren't connected as far as I know.

Each of these timelines has it's account of how things happened. Feel free to love the one you like most.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:42 pm

theherodjl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:45 am ...They're parallel timelines that split off from the Majin Boo arc...
Honestly I'm starting to feel like even the original end of Z is a parallel timeline on its own.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:31 pm

As someone mentioned, the events on DB Super make for DBGT be impossible to happen.

Bra is older than Pan as clearly seen in end of Z she is about 8 years old and Pan is 5 and in GT Pan is 12, Bra is 15. In Super timeline Bra is born after Pan.

Then the transformations are totally different. But people in general are too fond of the SSJ4 as to completely forget about DBGT.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:10 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:31 pmBra is older than Pan as clearly seen in end of Z she is about 8 years old and Pan is 5 and in GT Pan is 12, Bra is 15.
I don't know where you're getting this notion from, but it's not correct — Pan being a year older than Bra has always been the case.

The only thing to ever say otherwise was Bra's character bio in Daizenshuu 7, which gave her birth year as Age 778 while Pan's is in 779. However, the timeline page(s) in that same book, and everything else, properly lists Bra as being born in Age 780 instead. So it's likely the bio bit saying 778 was a typo or oversight. And despite how she looks and dresses, GT itself never declared that Bra was the older one either.

So rather than Super doing things different than GT and overriding it, it's more like Pan and Bra's respective ages are one of the few things related to timelines and characters that Super didn't screw up.

Again, I don't know where the three-year, wrong-direction difference you're talking about would even come from. Some weird amalgamation of the birth year mix-up above combined with the "is GT 5 years or 10 years later" confusion, maybe...?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:17 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:31 pm Bra is older than Pan as clearly seen in end of Z she is about 8 years old and Pan is 5 and in GT Pan is 12, Bra is 15. In Super timeline Bra is born after Pan.
I don't know where you're getting this -- you seem to just be picking arbitrary ages based on what you think you see.

Other than one contradiction within Daizenshuu 7* where in the front timeline is lists Bra as being born (a year after Pan) in 780:

... and then later in her specific bio it lists her as being born in 778:

... she is regularly and repeatedly listed as being born in 780, including in the Dragon Ball GT Perfect File timeline (where, also remember, that GT is officially established as picking up five years later after the "End of Z" in Age 789):

... and in the 2013 Toriyama exhibition book timeline created in promotion of Battle of Gods, as well:

(* It's worth noting that the Chouzenshuu equivalent of this character bio didn't update the text, so it repeats the same error.)

There's really no confusion here about who was born first and what their exact ages are.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:00 pm

I guess reason why some people think Bra was older than Pan in GT is because of how she looked like and how she dressed. I mean really...Toriyama couldn't give her less perverted outfit? Also it almost seems like TOEI could think she's older as well cause i don't know how to explain that scene where adult men try to flirt with her. With little girl. And even though Toriyama gave her that stupid outfit, she looked a bit smaller and more childish in his initial design. TOEI in GT made her look a bit older and taller if you ask me.

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:37 am

MistareFusion / Gaffer Tape had recently did a video that went over everyone's queries about who's older between the two girls, and how old are they by the time of GT -

https://youtu.be/LzsVY9AmfAE?si=QRAWVJ3aoHBEXrLb

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:12 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:00 pm Also it almost seems like TOEI could think she's older as well cause i don't know how to explain that scene where adult men try to flirt with her. With little girl.
The hospital episode of Pokemon had the adult doctor George Clooney pastiche hitting on Misty who was 10. It was even retained in the dub. I don't want to turn this into leniency on pedophillia in Japan vs the West debate or whatever so let's just leave it at "pedophiles exist and those two men were pedos and Vegeta was justified in ripping off their steering wheel"

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:31 pm

Bra probably inherited her mother's genes and looked older than what she actually was. When we first saw Bulma in DB, she could've fooled us all into thinking that she was adult age, especially when she towered in height over Kid Goku and even stood taller than Roshi. Not that it's any reason for adults to be hitting on minors, but it at least makes sense that they didn't know the real age of Bra as a result of her appearance & genes.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:38 am

theherodjl wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:31 pm Bra probably inherited her mother's genes and looked older than what she actually was. When we first saw Bulma in DB, she could've fooled us all into thinking that she was adult age, especially when she towered in height over Kid Goku and even stood taller than Roshi. Not that it's any reason for adults to be hitting on minors, but it at least makes sense that they didn't know the real age of Bra as a result of her appearance & genes.
Lmao. What.

Bulma 100 percent looked like a teenager in early Dragon Ball. Goku was short for his age.

Hell, parts of early Z have Bulma still looking like a teenager like the ponytail look during the Saiyan invasion

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:58 pm

theherodjl wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:31 pm Bra probably inherited her mother's genes and looked older than what she actually was. When we first saw Bulma in DB, she could've fooled us all into thinking that she was adult age, especially when she towered in height over Kid Goku and even stood taller than Roshi. Not that it's any reason for adults to be hitting on minors, but it at least makes sense that they didn't know the real age of Bra as a result of her appearance & genes.
You have a good point. Let's consider the fact that Bulma was rich and therefore very well fed which would allow her to reach a maximum hight developement. Same with Bra. But she looks 16 in DBGT because she looks exactly like Bulma when she was 16. I remember getting DBGT collectable cards a few months before DBGT would actually air on mexican TV ( I live in a big city so we used to get all the cool merchandise) and every single child ( we were 11 or so) would believe it was Bulma. The card with vegeta holding Bra, this scene here: https://www.deviantart.com/crawfordjenn ... -841543055

Maybe animators just wanted to recycle/ re-use those teen Bulma desgins instead of designing her from zero. But then again those clothes... I believe those are enough of reasons for confusion, but to each their own.

Thanks for the explanation, Vegetto X. Btw not trying to bring back a necropost but I had been busy...

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:36 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:58 pm
You have a good point. Let's consider the fact that Bulma was rich and therefore very well fed which would allow her to reach a maximum hight developement. Same with Bra. But she looks 16 in DBGT because she looks exactly like Bulma when she was 16. I remember getting DBGT collectable cards a few months before DBGT would actually air on mexican TV ( I live in a big city so we used to get all the cool merchandise) and every single child ( we were 11 or so) would believe it was Bulma. The card with vegeta holding Bra, this scene here: https://www.deviantart.com/crawfordjenn ... -841543055

Maybe animators just wanted to recycle/ re-use those teen Bulma desgins instead of designing her from zero. But then again those clothes... I believe those are enough of reasons for confusion, but to each their own.

Thanks for the explanation, Vegetto X. Btw not trying to bring back a necropost but I had been busy...
I wouldn't say that. If you directly compare Bra in GT to Blooma in early Dragon Ball, it becomes very obvious that Bra is noticeably shorter than her mother was at the beginning of the series, coupled with the fact that Blooma at 16 had noticeable breasts, and yet Bra is purposely drawn very flat-chested, which, judging by her mother and grandmother, can very safely be assumed to mean that she is still pre-pubescent and simply hasn't started developing breasts yet as opposed to simply being naturally flat.

I always see the somewhat skimpy outfit that she wears as the main reason why people tend to think Bra is older than she actually is, and while I agree to a point, there very much are girls that age that sometimes wear more revealing clothes like that, usually simply because it's either just more comfortable or cooler in the summer (maybe not so much with the thigh-high boots, but I get the feeling that a lot of GT's main character designs were intended to have "near-future"-esque clothing that, in hindsight, have not aged well because they are VERY rooted in mid-90s grungy "edginess", hence all the leather and zippers and tank tops and boots). But either way, put her clothes aside (not literally lol), and you'll realize that in terms of her physical appearance, it's very easy to buy that she's still a pre-teen. And it's certainly not unrealistic to have girls around 10-11 that look closer to 13-14 just due to genetics.

As for the grown men hitting on her, well... sadly, there absolutely are men out in the real world like that, and it's no less disgusting for being in a kids' action-comedy series like Dragon Ball. Plus, it unfortunately mirrored the many times predatory old men (Muten Rōshi and Red Ribbon Army goons alike...) attempted to sexually assault her mother in the early parts of the series. Thankfully papa Vegeta took care of them real quick before it got quite as creepy as those older moments did.