Dr. Slump VIZisms

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

King Bogo

Dr. Slump VIZisms

Post by King Bogo » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:03 am

I created this discussion to help catalog the changes made to Dr. Slump by VIZ when translating the manga. The images of the VIZ version used in my comparison to Japanese version are sourced directly from my personal copies. Disclaimer: The Japanese version's images are sourced through an incomplete collection of fan translated pages that I downloaded prior to VIZ getting the rights so they might contain some of their own unique modifications & other oddities as it's the only experience I've had with reading the Japanese version of the manga. I will post updates via edits as more VIZisms are found. I've added a VIZ label to the name of all the files to help allow people to tell Japanese version apart when viewing the gallery.

Volume 1 Chapter 4 (Compiled & Sourced By King Bogo): https://postimg.cc/gallery/Q8HB5kj
Volume 1 Chapter 8 (Compiled & Sourced By King Bogo): https://postimg.cc/gallery/d1mknC9
Volume 1 Chapter 9 (Compiled & Sourced By King Bogo): https://postimg.cc/gallery/jDJXxbJ

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dr. Slump VIZisms

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:31 pm

This is very interesting! Thank you for making this!

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:12 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:31 pm This is very interesting! Thank you for making this!
You're welcome but I need more people to help me to complete this project as i ran out of fan translated pages

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:28 pm

I personally think it's really worth providing context behind these changes beyond just putting up a gallery of images. Additionally, I'm only one example into the fan translation source here (?) and I can already tell they either didn't get the reference, or likewise made a change to the script a la Viz's translator (the great Alexander O. Smith) because they did get the reference and felt it was worth changing the script slightly to get the point across, rather than the literal words.

For example, in the dialog Senbei refers to アラン·ドロン in Japanese (五百円にまけてくれない? アラン·ドロンによく似たおにいさん!). This is Alain Delon, a French actor who was a major star in Japan, but didn't really break through in America. He was widely considered a handsome, sex-symbol kind of guy. In the Viz translation, Smith updates this reference to be Tom Cruise, someone that the average reader in English would immediately get the reference to and context surrounding him. In the fan translation, they ignore the name entirely and just say "kind and handsome man".

So again, I can't actually tell if the fan translation didn't understand the katakana that made up Delon's name, or did and wrote around it to make it more accessible (... which is exactly what Smith did for Viz, too!).

The examples you give before and after that: I can't actually tell what you're trying to point out, because you just have images there and no context either there in the gallery or here in the thread. What exactly is a "Viz-ism" there in either of those? The translation seems spot-on, up through and including the reference to cigarettes.

And that's as far as I got, since there isn't anything else to really discuss without going through them one-by-one... but since you're the one going through them, and I don't understand your thought process, I don't really want to go any further than that!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:51 pm

I'm pretty sure these fan translations were actually crosstranslated via French, too.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

sebubibinman
Banned

Post by sebubibinman » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:58 pm

Man, when Viz changed Arale's birthday from the 3rd to the 17th, that was past "vizism" into negligence. I mean, how do you "mistranslate" a numeral into another numeral?
"Rejected." - Kazuhiko Torishima