"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:21 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:48 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:27 am
Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:44 pm
I would appreciate a little context to that. For “long time” from which point? What exactly “long time” is supposed to mean? Months, years etc.
Why don't you ask him yourself lol?
You didn’t provide any context to what you said. When Uchida said that, for example? Which interview? Link? Anything. I’m not obligated to know what you are talking about.
I'm not obligated either to look for what you ask. Look up the french YouTuber saikyo Devin. I don't remember exactly where he said he read that but I THINK it was from a video on dragon ball official.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:45 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:21 am I'm not obligated either to look for what you ask. Look up the french YouTuber saikyo Devin. I don't remember exactly where he said he read that but I THINK it was from a video on dragon ball official.
So, you basically quoted something you are not even certain if it’s true, and presenting as the word of god. I never heard of this YouTuber nor I know if he is a credible source. I don’t speak French.
sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:26 am "The Dragon Ball Super (DBS) series will continue for a long time". Those are the words of the editor himself of the Manga Dragon Ball Super, Mr Victory Uchida.
I can’t find this article or interview in the official Dragon Ball website in the recent pages. The only thing I could find is a summary about the state of the manga in October 2020, when chapter #65 was about to be released, and Moro arc was nearing its end. A long time has passed since.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:56 pm

The video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk0mSQxYhKI
They start talking about the manga around 21th minute mark. Use Captions to get the gist of it.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:51 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:56 pm The video is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk0mSQxYhKI
They start talking about the manga around 21th minute mark. Use Captions to get the gist of it.
Now this is something, thanks! The official post in the website, from November 20th (for reference, the question was made in November 16th, 4 days before the video release).

No wonder this news passed by, as it was mostly about promoting Super Hero figure arts. Uchida only addresses the heart of the matter in the end of the video, after 23th minute. He also implied, according to the captions, that new characters may be coming and that he has been working hard on the serialization.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:50 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:45 pm
sangofe wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:21 am I'm not obligated either to look for what you ask. Look up the french YouTuber saikyo Devin. I don't remember exactly where he said he read that but I THINK it was from a video on dragon ball official.
So, you basically quoted something you are not even certain if it’s true, and presenting as the word of god. I never heard of this YouTuber nor I know if he is a credible source. I don’t speak French.
sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:26 am "The Dragon Ball Super (DBS) series will continue for a long time". Those are the words of the editor himself of the Manga Dragon Ball Super, Mr Victory Uchida.
I can’t find this article or interview in the official Dragon Ball website in the recent pages. The only thing I could find is a summary about the state of the manga in October 2020, when chapter #65 was about to be released, and Moro arc was nearing its end. A long time has passed since.
I quoted him because he's always checking his sources and has never been wrong at anything. He's super credible. I thought it was better to say something than not even though I didn't fully remember where he said he'd seen it. Would you have preferred I didn't post anything? I understand it's best to show a source but the way you posted showed only complaints towards me.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:36 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:50 am Would you have preferred I didn't post anything? I understand it's best to show a source but the way you posted showed only complaints towards me.
I think the best thing to do is share the knowledge but with a bit of caution, with the most possible details to get a proper fact-check. This is by no means a request for you to stop posting, please. Just a suggestion.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:33 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:36 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:50 am Would you have preferred I didn't post anything? I understand it's best to show a source but the way you posted showed only complaints towards me.
I think the best thing to do is share the knowledge but with a bit of caution, with the most possible details to get a proper fact-check. This is by no means a request for you to stop posting, please. Just a suggestion.
Yeah I've mostly done that but there I wasn't in a position to spend time doing that.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:25 pm

The next arc will likely retell the events of the end of DBZ. Daima will probably be its own thing.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:07 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:25 pm The next arc will likely retell the events of the end of DBZ. Daima will probably be its own thing.
What makes you think that lol?

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:25 am

One way or another, Black Freeza needs to be addressed, there's no way they were so carefree in the EoZ if they knew Freeza was still around. Barring another retcon, I expect at least one more story arc before they retell the EoZ (if they are going to retell it to begin with, this is the first time I hear of this possiblity).

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:38 am

nineko wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:25 am One way or another, Black Freeza needs to be addressed, there's no way they were so carefree in the EoZ if they knew Freeza was still around. Barring another retcon, I expect at least one more story arc before they retell the EoZ (if they are going to retell it to begin with, this is the first time I hear of this possiblity).
But Beerus can casually erase Black Frieza.

Just like this:

So they know that Beerus' existence will act as a deterrent for Frieza. He wouldn't dare move against the Earth when he knows that Beerus has become so fond of them and their warriors saved him at the Tournament of Power.

If there is a Black Frieza arc, what will be Beerus' excuse this time? He already used the "urgent GoDs meeting" excuse in the Moro arc. For how long will the retconning of Beerus' power continue? Or will Black Frieza actually surpass Beerus (Impossible, how he can beat Hakai?)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:30 pm

We don't know if Beerus can erase Freeza at his current power. It's possible that he may have surpass him. His destroying powers do have limits to it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:49 am

Beerus just erasing Frieza would be the most underwhelming thing ever

I'd rather see like a deathmatch between Beerus and Frieza, seeing Beerus bleed for the first time. Things like that

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:49 am Beerus just erasing Frieza would be the most underwhelming thing ever

I'd rather see like a deathmatch between Beerus and Frieza, seeing Beerus bleed for the first time. Things like that
Toriyama is a troll who likes subverting expectations.

What makes you think Black Frieza won't be used as fodder to prop up someone else like Mecha Frieza?

Mecha Frieza was also built-up as a new, stronger version of Frieza that made the protagonists tremble in fear (like Black Frieza). One would assume that he would put up a good fight. He was instead used as disposable fodder to build-up the new characters of the new arc.

I predict that Black Frieza will not have his own arc and that he will simply be used to hype up a new villain.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:37 pm

Volume 22 alternate cover:

Toyotaro cooked again!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:03 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 pm What makes you think Black Frieza won't be used as fodder to prop up someone else like Mecha Frieza?

Mecha Frieza was also built-up as a new, stronger version of Frieza that made the protagonists tremble in fear (like Black Frieza). One would assume that he would put up a good fight. He was instead used as disposable fodder to build-up the new characters of the new arc.

I predict that Black Frieza will not have his own arc and that he will simply be used to hype up a new villain.
I think this is probably correct. It really feels like Black Frieza is the end of Frieza's story, not a new beginning. He's changed a lot since RoF and, if he hasn't become a "hero", like some predicted, he did finally get his opportunity to kill Goku, and he didn't take it. That's growth!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:34 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 pm
Bardock God of Time wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:49 am Beerus just erasing Frieza would be the most underwhelming thing ever

I get the impression that was the younger Toriyama and that the old Toriyama had become duller.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:56 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:34 am

I get the impression that was the younger Toriyama and that the old Toriyama had become duller.
*laughts in Future Trunks timeline*

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:10 am

Not an opinion I commonly hold, but...

Volume 22's alternate/undersleeve cover is better than the actual cover.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:49 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:56 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:34 am

*laughts in Future Trunks timeline*
Yeah, auto correction by my phone there (wtf had instead of has).