Has Funimation/Crunchyroll forgotten about Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Has Funimation/Crunchyroll forgotten about Kai?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:16 am

They haven't streamed it (HBO Max and Hulu did) and unlike Z and even GT there hasn't been a single re-release in North America since the Season sets 10 years ago. Kai The Final Chapters also only got Parts releases, as if Funimation wanted to just get it out of the way and move on to Super.

Does anyone think Kai could get a re-release in the future, be streamed in English-speaking territories or could Crunchyroll forget to renew their license to it, making it available to another distributor (maybe one that can release the Ocean dub... just a thought)?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Has Funimation/Crunchyroll forgotten about Kai?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:40 pm

They would of had to license Kai out to Hulu in order for it to be streaming there in the first place, so I think that's a clear indicator that they haven't forgotten about it. I doubt Crunchyroll is just going to "forget" to renew the license.

I think Kai is just low priority because even when Funimation was aggressively marketing is as "Z but better" Dragon Ball Z was still outselling Kai in the home video market.