Will there be a bidding war for who gets to air/stream any future Dragon ball anime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Will there be a bidding war for who gets to air/stream any future Dragon ball anime?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:00 pm

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits time for my monthly thread!

I wanted to do this about Daima, but realized it would be mega redundant with the Daima thread so I decided to focus on any future anime.

I think The BBC might want exclusivity with Dragon Ball in the UK but Pop not only gets great ratings but Bandai and Smyth's MEGA SPONSORSHIP of Pop is mega profittable. They literally pour money into Pop to keep it airing and the ratings show its worked like a charm. The BBC will just pay a lump sum. put it on their streaming service and call it a day. Not much money being made that way so I think Toei will want to think this carefully.

I know Adult Swim will DEFINITELY want to air any future Dragon Ball anime, and that applies to Latin America and USA. Luckily both are a bit more kid friendly now so it wont be horridly out of place there.

And Toei confirmed it will air on Broadcast television as well but it will have to wait for 2025. I know it will come to Vierci group in Paraguay.l
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Will there be a bidding war for who gets to air/stream any future Dragon ball anime?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:35 pm

I suspect the BBC were able to get streaming rights for Dragon Ball for the same reason Netflix could stream Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and Broly. Manga UK were against streaming when they first licensed the franchise in 2012 and never went back and asked for them. I do hope the BBC hold on to all their streaming rights, I don't want everything Dragon Ball to be on Crunchyroll, competition and diversity is good for the business landscape. I fear Daima will only be available to Crunchyroll.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Will there be a bidding war for who gets to air/stream any future Dragon ball anime?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:27 pm

OMG I forgot Crunchyroll! Yeah I dont want them to get it. If Pop doesnt get it I hope The Good Ol' BBC saves us!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:30 pm

The only issue with BBC is they only stream the edited version of Super, at least to my knowledge.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing DB on Netflix. After the huge success of One Piece Live action maybe they'd be more open to stuff like the various DB shows. It would also get lots if exposure on there.

My biggest issue with Crunchyroll UK is the lack of dubs for certain shows. Super's dub is on there to be fair, but you never know what the case would be for the other DB shows.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:37 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:27 pm OMG I forgot Crunchyroll! Yeah I dont want them to get it. If Pop doesnt get it I hope The Good Ol' BBC saves us!
Isn't Crunchyroll the former Funimation, who is officially licensed to dub and distribute Dragon Ball content throughout English-speaking countries? It would seem the most sense.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:40 am

To OP (original poster): I appreciate you being constant when it comes to drahongon ball ( monthly topic).

Having said that, I am a total ignorant on how does streaming work when in comes to revenue for the original copyright owners, because at the end all streaming services depend on the approval from Toei to be able to hold the rights, correct?

Dragon ball in Mexico is currently being aired by adult swim Latam and by mexicam open TV broadcaster TV Azteca. I think crunchy roll Latam also has DBZ but no original DB, but honestly I am not sure. For people who have VOD ( video on demand) and a digital box, it pretty much works the same as streaming but an episode is available only for 48 hrs...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:06 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:40 am To OP (original poster): I appreciate you being constant when it comes to drahongon ball ( monthly topic).

Having said that, I am a total ignorant on how does streaming work when in comes to revenue for the original copyright owners, because at the end all streaming services depend on the approval from Toei to be able to hold the rights, correct?

Dragon ball in Mexico is currently being aired by adult swim Latam and by mexicam open TV broadcaster TV Azteca. I think crunchy roll Latam also has DBZ but no original DB, but honestly I am not sure. For people who have VOD ( video on demand) and a digital box, it pretty much works the same as streaming but an episode is available only for 48 hrs...
Thank you Saiya6Cit! I meant more that I used to make a barrage of constant threads and people rightfully told me that wasnt the way to do things and thus I decided to make 1 thread per month.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:28 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:40 am I think crunchy roll Latam also has DBZ but no original DB, but honestly I am not sure
In fact, they have almost all the Dragon Ball anime that has been distributed in Latam, the only thing that is not yet in CR are the 3 movies distributed by 20th Fox and the dub of Super.