One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:13 am

What would a DB remake give us besides cutting out filler and new animation?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:49 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:13 am What would a DB remake give us besides cutting out filler and new animation?
Well, it's a separate work of art, and can therefore do whatever people feel like doing—should the capitalist overlords give creative staff some degree of leeway.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:29 am

What the fuck does capitalism have to do with Dragon Ball?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:19 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:29 am What the fuck does capitalism have to do with Dragon Ball?
capitalism is why dragon ball super was greenlit only three months before it aired, and fucked over one of Toei Animation's best directors from the very beginning.

hell, capitalism is why a producer (pretty sure it was Hayashida) blamed veteran animators and called them newbies (they were all 10+ year veterans), instead of blaming the unchecked greed of executives to get a series out just three months after Fukkatsu no F.

Also, like, Toriyama literally began to draw comics to make money. That's how commercial art is done in our fucked up way of distributing wealth.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:40 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:13 am What would a DB remake give us besides cutting out filler and new animation?
New fans who are put off by "old anime"

New fans who might have been put off by the 80s animes sexual humor and racial and gay caricatures (assuming the hypothetical reboot likely would do away with most of this)

Not that new fans is automatically a good thing but it would be the obvious reason for a remake

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:22 am

On Twitter the official account shared the song the opening, or some promotional music for this new series. And it’s AI. Not a good look.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:00 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:22 am On Twitter the official account shared the song the opening, or some promotional music for this new series. And it’s AI. Not a good look.
This isn't actually related to the anime at all. It's something Oda generated using AI and sent in. People have conflated the anime's statement about "new technology" with Oda's little AI experiment when there's nothing to suggest they're related whatsoever.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:47 pm

Ajay wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:00 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:22 am On Twitter the official account shared the song the opening, or some promotional music for this new series. And it’s AI. Not a good look.
This isn't actually related to the anime at all. It's something Oda generated using AI and sent in. People have conflated the anime's statement about "new technology" with Oda's little AI experiment when there's nothing to suggest they're related whatsoever.
Nothing to explicitly suggest it but... idk just given Oda has been tinkering with AI as of late that vague statement did feel a little bit troubling in a "Well, what do they mean by that if not AI?" way. But yeah, hopefully they won't go down that route. Hopefully they are smarter than that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:18 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:47 pm Nothing to explicitly suggest it but... idk just given Oda has been tinkering with AI as of late that vague statement did feel a little bit troubling in a "Well, what do they mean by that if not AI?" way. But yeah, hopefully they won't go down that route. Hopefully they are smarter than that.
Given Wit Studio have famously pushed tech boundaries with aspects like their make-up department and 3D background integration in 2D cuts, I have an easier time believing it's simply referring to that than them suddenly dipping into AI, personally.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:19 am
8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:29 am What the fuck does capitalism have to do with Dragon Ball?
capitalism is why dragon ball super was greenlit only three months before it aired, and fucked over one of Toei Animation's best directors from the very beginning.

hell, capitalism is why a producer (pretty sure it was Hayashida) blamed veteran animators and called them newbies (they were all 10+ year veterans), instead of blaming the unchecked greed of executives to get a series out just three months after Fukkatsu no F.

Also, like, Toriyama literally began to draw comics to make money. That's how commercial art is done in our fucked up way of distributing wealth.
This.
Sure, capitalism drives the bigger budget productions for all this to work, but let's not pretend that the desperate need to satisfy bottom lines isn't why we're even seeing "remakes" at all. Some executive realized it was a profitable venture. And naturally when that's the motive, you get counterintuitive decisions to cut costs, so instead of giving the series the due respect and highest quality, "people will watch it even if it has worse art and animation than Super, so let's not spend too much."

For all its warts, I don't much want a Dragon Ball remake, but if we had to get one, I actually don't even think a manga-perfect adaptation is a good idea. There are plenty of things I'd say the anime does better or were good ideas that the manga lost out on, most notably some of the best filler moments in the Saiyan arc
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:00 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:31 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:19 am

This.
Sure, capitalism drives the bigger budget productions for all this to work, but let's not pretend that the desperate need to satisfy bottom lines isn't why we're even seeing "remakes" at all. Some executive realized it was a profitable venture. And naturally when that's the motive, you get counterintuitive decisions to cut costs, so instead of giving the series the due respect and highest quality, "people will watch it even if it has worse art and animation than Super, so let's not spend too much."

For all its warts, I don't much want a Dragon Ball remake, but if we had to get one, I actually don't even think a manga-perfect adaptation is a good idea. There are plenty of things I'd say the anime does better or were good ideas that the manga lost out on, most notably some of the best filler moments in the Saiyan arc
Yeah, the training arcs preceding both the 23rd Budokai and Saiyan battle have always been some of my favorite parts of Dragon Ball (the training for the 22nd Budokai is okay but definitely my least favorite of the three training mini-arcs), to the point where I'd always wished that there had been another filler arc in that vein. Maybe another "10 episode training filler arc" could have been placed before the Androids or something.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:12 pm

I think that it's a terrible shame that the Saiyan arc training episodes did not directly inform and influence character beats during the actual battles with Vegeta and Nappa. Callbacks, flashbacks, and other little bits would have definitely helped to flesh out those characters and episodes in a far more entertaining way than nearly completely recreating the comic's dialogue and story and character beats like it did. Anime Gohan not running away, because he remembered the robot, the dinosaur or the orphans, and instead causing some real damage to Nappa would've been awesome.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:40 am New fans who might have been put off by the 80s animes sexual humor and racial and gay caricatures (assuming the hypothetical reboot likely would do away with most of this)
That is a good point. I feel like we don't need a DB remake right now and I would rather see one be done for the 50th anniversary instead maybe.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:39 am

Honestly...this is kinda where I am too. What would be the point? Especially since I think modern DB looks like shit compared to the OG, I just don't see "the same anime with a visual upgrade" all that appealing.

The only way a DB remake would work is if they go full on "REMAKE" with it and make signficantly different while holding on to the basic foundation of the franchise. It would probably end up pissing a lot of people off and no way Toei would sign off on it. But it's the only way a remake would feel justified.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:40 am

New fans who might have been put off by the 80s animes sexual humor and racial and gay caricatures (assuming the hypothetical reboot likely would do away with most of this)

Not that new fans is automatically a good thing but it would be the obvious reason for a remake
Gay fan here, I honestly can't hate General Blue, he's so ridiculously offensive and stereotypical that he was easily the best part of the first half of Red Ribbon.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:55 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:40 am

Gay fan here, I honestly can't hate General Blue, he's so ridiculously offensive and stereotypical that he was easily the best part of the first half of Red Ribbon.
I would offer that the issue is more so having this character not only framed as a pedophile in the 1986 animated series, but also in a series aimed at children. It sucks having to be exposed to gross shit like that as a kid (or being a queer person and having to work in a franchise with stuff like that even in modern productions). This then says nothing about Otokosuki being another 'creepy gay guy hitting on a hero character' later on in the series.
She/Her
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:59 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:55 am

I would offer that the issue is more so having this character not only framed as a pedophile in the 1986 animated series, but also in a series aimed at children. It sucks having to be exposed to gross shit like that as a kid (or being a queer person and having to work in a franchise with stuff like that even in modern productions). This then says nothing about Otokosuki being another 'creepy gay guy hitting on a hero character' later on in the series.
I feel like they've learned (?) if Whis is any indication, then again, I'm not sure if Toriyama meant Whis to be gay or just super flamboyant.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:09 pm

With the gay thing it's really just the one scene with Blue and Obatchaman in the 80s anime and Otokosuki at the end of Z (A character I bet most fans don't remember because he wasn't all that important). The homophobia has always been pretty minor and negligible compared to the sexual harassment toward women being treated so casually, which has always been a blackmark against Dragon Ball, especially the first two arcs.

Of course Dragon Ball has female fans, and gay fans, and black fans. Obviously we all enjoy Dragon Ball here in spite of its problematic material (and of course there are fans who just pretend it doesn't exist and make bad faith arguments and what aboutism). I'd argue there's nothing you would find offensive in Dragon Ball that you wouldn't find in hundreds of Hollywood family movies in the 80s, not that it makes it okay, but it is a product of its time.

But there are people who just can't get past a 16 year old being a punchline when she accidentally shows an old man her vagina, or said old man grabbing at the tits and asses of every woman ever and the narrative just being like "oh that rascally old man will never learn will he?", or the walking minstrel show that is Mr.Popo, or the only significant gay character making moves on a little boy.

So when it comes to the question of "What would be the point of a remake?" that would be the reason, to give those potential new fans something to watch

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:18 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:59 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:55 am

I feel like they've learned (?) if Whis is any indication, then again, I'm not sure if Toriyama meant Whis to be gay or just super flamboyant.
Maybe, but I think it's still pretty bad that if you want to introduce someone to Dragon Ball you either have to show them a comic that doesn't have a proper disclaimer acknowledging the terrible depictions of queer characters, or a cartoon that not only doesn't have a disclaimer, but also makes one of them a pedophile.

MasenkoHa also brings up a point that I was trying to avoid thinking about: the way that women and girls are used a punchlines for a lot of sexual harassment and assault jokes. By continuing to say "hey, this is okay and we're going to keep advetising this stuff" then Shueisha, Toei and other production committee members are inviting criticism from those groups that they are poorly representing in their product.
She/Her
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:38 pm

Fair points, I just think "Eh, it was the 80's" and move on.
Though I do see how it can scare off the new generations.

That being said, if Dragon Ball ever gets a remake, IMO, it also needs to fix several narrative and power scaling issues. I in particular find the entire spiel of, "Everybody works their asses off for 50 years, only for Goku, who done something incredibly mundane in like 3 days, to get to that level and magically be stronger 50 times above them, with no explanation whatsoever, because potential or something." Or in the Z era case, "Because Saiyan!"

It's not an issue just with Dragon Ball, but with many other superhero shows from the same time.
"Here's an entire team of superheroes, they all have their unique abilities, personalities and powers and- Never mind, they all suck and exist just to be beaten. The only character who actually matters in this story is the main one, deal with it!"

I find that so incredibly frustrating watching old shows, and it still hasn't been fixed by Super.