Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by shadd21 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:32 pm

Some interesting details on Daima via Geekdom: https://youtu.be/9jA2-wWOtJs?si=UXkUKh2nU3wuDlBY
I think Daima's going to blow Super out of the water, better story, better overall animation, and blood

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:13 pm

I feel sad its indeed not going to air on TV in Japan but I realized Toei Promised it would air on Broadcast TV on 2025 so I dont have anything to worry about on that front.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:21 pm

Still no news on the timeline placement. I still think it's safe to say that it will be likely set before Super.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:03 pm

shadd21 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:32 pm I think Daima's going to blow Super out of the water, better story, better overall animation, and blood
It's not hard to be honest. Super only survived in the beginning because of the DB name. Any other show wouldn't have make it past 12 episodes.

Bad character designs, bad animation, bad art, bad opening, bad voice acting (kaio's voice actor was sick), boring color scheme, no blood, average soundtrack, and it was a retelling of something people already had saw.

It was embarrassing having DBS airing at the same time than One Punch Man season 1. Not only OPM had better production, they got freaking Kageyama /Jam Project for their Opening too...

It's good Toriyama/Shueisha are strictly supervising Daima because it means they care.

I have no doubt that not matter how questionable Daima story premise is we are in for a visual spectacle, which is the minimum this franchise deserves.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:39 am

-toriyama,shueshia and toei are aware of the story problems that super had, and the idea behind db daima which toriyama having to approve the script which is the first time he is doing it since he never done it with any of the other series. Which still proves that toriyama is heavily involved with this project, he is having other write the manual script and he is going in and editing them which will go in line with his vision.
I'm glad for this. Even Toriyama agrees that Super's story was... not great. Animation problems were only the tip of the iceberg in Super. If Daima had stellar animation, but the same storytelling quality of Super, I'd still call it names once it came out.

On a side note, I'd appreciate if the fandom stopped pointing to GT as if it meant Daima would be terrible. Mind you, I wouldn't want Daima to be a retelling of GT, it already exists and it's there for anyone who wants to watch it, but the fandom treats a simple inspiration on it as if it was cancer.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:36 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:21 pm Still no news on the timeline placement. I still think it's safe to say that it will be likely set before Super.
If it's true that Toriyama, Toei, and Shueisha found Super to be a disappointment, I wouldn't be surprised if Daima just goes out of its way to avoid any explicit references to Super

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:51 am

I mean, it's easy for Super's story to be weak when you tie one arm behind your back with the type of character development (pr lack thereof) that you allow because you think that Dragon Ball should only be made one way or because you think that a kids' show should only be made one way.

Anyway, I hope Daima is heavier on the character drama to really advance a character arc or two.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:51 am Anyway, I hope Daima is heavier on the character drama to really advance a character arc or two.
I'm a little surprised you have these expectations considering Toriyama's heavier than usual involvement and how vocal you are about your dislike of him as a writer (if this stuff is true, he's the final word on the script and is even "editing" it as he sees fit).

While this is just based on the trailer and so ultimately doesn't count for much, heavy character drama isn't the vibe I'm getting from this. I suspect the most we'll get for drama is stuff like Bora's death in the Reb Ribbon arc or Hatchan's death in Path to Power - Unless there's a bait and switch coming, I think this will largely be a lighthearted fun adventure with some drama sprinkled in at certain points.

Not saying I'd be against heavy character drama, I just don't get the sense that they're going in that direction.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:46 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:51 am Anyway, I hope Daima is heavier on the character drama to really advance a character arc or two.
I'm a little surprised you have these expectations considering Toriyama's heavier than usual involvement and how vocal you are about your dislike of him as a writer (if this stuff is true, he's the final word on the script and is even "editing" it as he sees fit).

While this is just based on the trailer and so ultimately doesn't count for much, heavy character drama isn't the vibe I'm getting from this. I suspect the most we'll get for drama is stuff like Bora's death in the Reb Ribbon arc or Hatchan's death in Path to Power - Unless there's a bait and switch coming, I think this will largely be a lighthearted fun adventure with some drama sprinkled in at certain points.

Not saying I'd be against heavy character drama, I just don't get the sense that they're going in that direction.
I'm a terrible optimist. Like, two women are in high-up positions, so my hope is that someone actually just challenges Toriyama on stuff to make the series better. That's the role of a series director and series composition, after all.
She/Her
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:28 pm

I'll give some credit here: I don't think all that highly of Toriyama either.
I'm sure deadline hell as he puts it has made his story's quality deteriorate the longer he went on.
The Cell Saga and the Boo Saga in particular, I'm not very fond of.

The Battle of Gods movie vs. the Super version is like night-and-day difference in terms of quality.
But Resurrection F, despite having full Toriyama control, was not great.
Broly was kind of in the middle, but Super Hero was great.

With Toriyama, it's either hit or miss.
I don't like how he's super fixated on transformations to advance the story, but I'll assume that's likely due to someone from Toei, Shueisha, Bandai or whoever pressuring him to include them.

Only time will tell, but I'm at least glad they're recognizing, "Yeah... Super wasn't good, we need to improve."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:43 pm

Fukkatsu no F suffered heavily from Toriyama's script being faithfully adapted by a director with really bad sensibilities. I think that if a stronger director had been brought on, and then a dialogue had occured between that director and Toriyama about the script, not only would the script for the film have been improved, but the actual directing and animation, too.

Like, if Yamauchi Shigeyasu (Casshern Sins, Digimon Hurricane Landing!! / Transcendent Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals, the first two Broli films, and the Janemba film) had been brought back to direct Fukkatsu no F then that film would've been super crazy and atmospheric.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:58 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:39 am On a side note, I'd appreciate if the fandom stopped pointing to GT as if it meant Daima would be terrible. Mind you, I wouldn't want Daima to be a retelling of GT, it already exists and it's there for anyone who wants to watch it, but the fandom treats a simple inspiration on it as if it was cancer.
Yeah like, while ultimately I think GT is pretty bad, all that it and Daima have in common so far is the superficial similarity of characters being de-aged.

Like I'm no fan of de-aging characters to kids, that's some shit Japan likes that has no appeal to me, but ultimately Daima getting the same idea on steroids really doesn't mean the execution will be the same.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:36 am If it's true that Toriyama, Toei, and Shueisha found Super to be a disappointment, I wouldn't be surprised if Daima just goes out of its way to avoid any explicit references to Super
It can't be a complete disappointment with how much they milk it at least, if this is post-BoG then I expect at least some references to the different hair color transformations, since Toriyama does reference his own stuff around.
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:46 pm I'm a terrible optimist. Like, two women are in high-up positions, so my hope is that someone actually just challenges Toriyama on stuff to make the series better. That's the role of a series director and series composition, after all.
With how much Toriyama is in control of DB with no one really challenging his ideas since BoG, I'd be surprised if anyone challenged him at all.

Like if this "Super was a disappointment" was really true, then it doesn't point at Toriyama being the problem, since he was barely involved with it besides giving the producers a few notes, so him being more involved with Daima might just mean he'll have more control over the script, much like the movies.

Would honestly be better if I'm wrong though, Toriyama has pretty good ideas, but he needs someone to smack him on the back of the head and tell him "No" once in a while so the story is more consistent in what it's doing and not just throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:33 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:58 pmLike if this "Super was a disappointment" was really true, then it doesn't point at Toriyama being the problem, since he was barely involved with it besides giving the producers a few notes, so him being more involved with Daima might just mean he'll have more control over the script, much like the movies.

Would honestly be better if I'm wrong though, Toriyama has pretty good ideas, but he needs someone to smack him on the back of the head and tell him "No" once in a while so the story is more consistent in what it's doing and not just throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.
Your cartoon series is going to be a problem when it's tossed together with absolutely zero pre-production time (less than three months before broadcast, with only three or four episodes even finished when the first had to air), no staff on hand to create the series (not enough time to recruit and schedule staff, nobody wants to animate Yamamuro's designs) and producers who waste your time by demanding to be at meetings that they don't need to be at, interfere with scripts and storyboards, and not push your staff to break from the norms of the franchise that they're working in (I have to be vague about this one, sorry).

Dragon Ball Super was at its best when it was doing things that Toriyama normally wouldn't with its story and characters (Kale, Caulifla, Jiren, Zamasu, Gokuu Black), anyway. I think giving a guy who has next to no experience working in anime control over the minute character and story details (and who knows what else), and then not allowing for collobaration is going to turn into another dissapointing shitfest. Multiple people go into making television, ignoring those voices isn't a way to make good television, it's a way to give an inflexible old man a blank cheque.

Like, I'm just going to have a hard time giving the staff of Dragon Ball Super a hard time when they had to make a cartoon with two hands tied behind their backs and slave wages and workdays that are 8+ hours long and allowing for next to no time to rest. Dragon Ball Super sucked because executives have too much power to just willy-nilly control the fate of the people working in production. Dragon Ball Daima needing a pilot to be created is proof enough that executives were scared of losing the series and that's the only reason why they learned their lesson from Dragon Ball Super. If they could have pulled the wool over Shueisha's (Iyoku's?) eyes again like they did in 2015 they would have.

I think that there's this weird idea that fans of anime adapted from manga—specifically shounen comics—want to give all of their respect to the creator of the comic, and reserve none for the people that actually create the cartoon adaption that they're enjoying. These people have just as much if not more experience and skill working in the animation industry than Toriyama does as a comic creator. Hell, Toriyama did in fact stop growing as a writer and artist over the years—his limits and lack of desire to improve are very evident in his works. Meanwhile, you have staff working on these animated series that are trying to improve and actually do, but they're just nameless and treated as unimportant because they are adapting someone else's work. That shit it honestly pretty maddening, when it's the artistic contributions of animation workers that make animation so exciting.

And also, like, it's Toei. They make original anime, too. Hell, they just wrapped up Kibou no Chikara: Otona PreCure '23 that—despite being still child-friendly—is a thousand-times more mature in its depiction of themes and executing of its plot. That's just one example to work with.

I'm half-asleep, so this post is getting rambly. Point being: Toriyama can, in fact, be improved upon, and collaborative works of art like animated television series are meant to have more than one voice guiding them, especially when one of those voices is severely lacking in experience and skill.
She/Her
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:02 pm

I agree with many things Julie says here.
"Ew, Toriyama didn't make it, so it automatically sucks." Is a statement I can't get behind.
Likewise, "Toriyama made it, so it's automatically good." Is equally bad.

I like the music of Dragon Ball, but Toriyama didn't compose it.
I like the scene where Bulma starts having a meltdown over Yamcha's death in DBZ, but Toriyama didn't write it.
I like the voice performances, but it's not Toriyama doing it, and it's certainly not him directing them, if Yamcha and Bulma's voice actors are to be believed, even they have their own complaints with Toriyama about how the characters they're playing were done dirty.
And while Toriyama can be considered the "storyboarder", he's not the one animating anything.

There's a lot of things to enjoy in Dragon Ball, many of them are not Toriyama's.
The only thing anybody should be concerned about in this fandom is, "Is it good?"
But apparently, that's never enough.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:33 pm

I'm currently curious about when (and most importantly, in which continuity - movies, anime or manga) Daima takes place. The "movieverse" is the safest choice, I think, but who knows.

If I remember correctly, in Ajay's livestream it was said something like "some events of Super will be mentioned", if that's true then obviously Daima takes place at least after Battle of Gods. However, it is difficult to be more precise with the little information we have, especially considering that Goku has a new uniform.

One detail I noticed is that the characters look more like "chibis", so I think it's possible that their small versions kept the same hairstyle as when they were adults. This helps a little, but there are still some inconsistencies to consider.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:48 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:33 pm I'm currently curious about when (and most importantly, in which continuity - movies, anime or manga) Daima takes place. The "movieverse" is the safest choice, I think, but who knows.

If I remember correctly, in Ajay's livestream it was said something like "some events of Super will be mentioned", if that's true then obviously Daima takes place at least after Battle of Gods. However, it is difficult to be more precise with the little information we have, especially considering that Goku has a new uniform.

One detail I noticed is that the characters look more like "chibis", so I think it's possible that their small versions kept the same hairstyle as when they were adults. This helps a little, but there are still some inconsistencies to consider.
If anything from Super gets mentioned, it will probably just be a little something to appease the fans, like when Vegeta's brother Tarble was name dropped in Battle of Gods. I doubt Super will be relevant to Diama much, if at all.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:52 pm

"Tch, it's a shame neither of us have figured out how to use Super Saiyan God at will yet, right Vegeta?" — my silly little prediction

(I don't really care either way so long as the series is good).
She/Her
bisexual milf

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:19 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:52 pm (I don't really care either way so long as the series is good).
This is where I'm at.

Daima's continuity and timeline placement is the least of my concerns right now, especially considering Dragon Ball continuity is such an enormous clusterfuck to begin with that even if we do get an answer, it likely won't please everyone (Look at the Zelda franchise and the series timeline Nintendo put out when they finally -sort of- committed to establishing one- Quite a few fans outright rejected it).

It's interesting to speculate on, but I get the sense that it'll matter as much as it mattered for the pre-revival movies- Not that much.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:29 am

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:19 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:52 pm (I don't really care either way so long as the series is good).
This is where I'm at.

Daima's continuity and timeline placement is the least of my concerns right now, especially considering Dragon Ball continuity is such an enormous clusterfuck to begin with that even if we do get an answer, it likely won't please everyone (Look at the Zelda franchise and the series timeline Nintendo put out when they finally -sort of- committed to establishing one- Quite a few fans outright rejected it).

It's interesting to speculate on, but I get the sense that it'll matter as much as it mattered for the pre-revival movies- Not that much.
Thirded.

Are people really going to be mad or care if Daima's timeline placement is vague/questionable?

It seems like a pretty self contained series to celebrate the manga's 40th anniversary. Fans expecting an expansion on Super or something past Z's epilogue are setting themselves up for disappointment.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:55 am

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:19 am
This is where I'm at.

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:29 amThirded.

Are people really going to be mad or care if Daima's timeline placement is vague/questionable?

It seems like a pretty self contained series to celebrate the manga's 40th anniversary. Fans expecting an expansion on Super or something past Z's epilogue are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Yeah, I'm like...you don't need to rely on the latest piece of continuity to tell a good story. Heck, judging by the trailer Daima is going to lean on the Babidi portion of the Majin Buu arc, so it's not like elements of the series are being ignored entirely. Somebody's just telling whatever inoffensive story that they feel like telling.
She/Her
bisexual milf