Dragon Ball and the Paramount Warner Discovery Merger.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball and the Paramount Warner Discovery Merger.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:09 pm

I was very careful considering what the thread for this month could be. Warner and Viacom are both companies with good relations to Toei and I want to ask people what your ideas and hopes for this hypothetical scenario.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball and the Paramount Warner Discovery Merger.

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:51 pm

What do you mean “thread for this month”?

What does this merger have to do with Dragon Ball at all?

Do you have any respective/relevant/helpful prompt to get things going? I don’t even know what you could possibly be talking about.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:08 pm

Sorry I was a bit tired and wanted to make the thread before going to be. I think The merger (Which at this point is hypothetical and not set in stone, wish I had been clearer in the title) could give Toei a major unified ally to work with, Nickelodeon's ratings are low but airing Dragon Ball which is a show that has always done well in reruns and would pull Nick out of its slump. DBZKai used to do 600k viewers for Nicktoons. And while I know that's impossible now if any of the DB shows aired on Nick now they could pull 250k 300k.

There are thousands of possibilities and I just mentioned the ones that came to mind being this tired.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:35 am

I think you should be talking about the hulu and disney + murger more because hulu has dragon ball and if they're merging then Dragon ball must be on Disney+. Besides they already have blue dragon on Disney +

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:09 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:35 am I think you should be talking about the hulu and disney + murger more because hulu has dragon ball and if they're merging then Dragon ball must be on Disney+. Besides they already have blue dragon on Disney +
Agree. I see more prospects here (I expect Daima to debut on + as well, at least in US). Total speculation: if Disney ever wanted their answer to live-action One Piece success then now they have the perfect oppurtunity with DB. They got the means and resources for a high-budget adaptation and the animated original is already on their platform, with the full Hulu app merger only boosting the reach of potential DB audience

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:47 am

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:51 pm What do you mean “thread for this month”?

What does this merger have to do with Dragon Ball at all?

Do you have any respective/relevant/helpful prompt to get things going? I don’t even know what you could possibly be talking about.
The monthly thread means that I made a promise to stop the constant barrage of threads I used to make and now make only one a month.

Also on Disney Plus, that's covered in my "Bidding War for Dragon Ball" thread. But the possibility of 2 of Toei biggest Allies (Toei does a lot of work with Viacom outside of the USA, not just Nicktoons) joining together could mean something.

And Dragon Ball is airing a lot in Latin America thanks to Adult Swim.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:54 am

Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:09 am
Dragon ball master wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:35 am I think you should be talking about the hulu and disney + murger more because hulu has dragon ball and if they're merging then Dragon ball must be on Disney+. Besides they already have blue dragon on Disney +
Agree. I see more prospects here (I expect Daima to debut on + as well, at least in US). Total speculation: if Disney ever wanted their answer to live-action One Piece success then now they have the perfect oppurtunity with DB. They got the means and resources for a high-budget adaptation and the animated original is already on their platform, with the full Hulu app merger only boosting the reach of potential DB audience
It would be a lot smarter to put it on Disney+ as families are way more likely to have it and thus kids would be more likely able to watch Daima.

I see Toei and Crunchyroll streaming it on Crunchyroll's own app though.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:54 am It would be a lot smarter to put it on Disney+ as families are way more likely to have it and thus kids would be more likely able to watch Daima.
By the end of March its suppoused to merge into a single app anyway but I'm still not sure whether a Disney+sub will automatically include all Hulu VOD content by then or not. Regardless, they will likely continue shifting things around throught the year and they will own 100% of Hulu and may very well move DB fully under Disney brand umbrella and just leave Hulu brand exclusively for the actual adult dramas/Kardashians nonsense. Or delete the Hulu brand completly
Last edited by Basaku on Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:18 am

Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:15 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:54 am It would be a lot smarter to put it on Disney+ as families are way more likely to have it and thus kids would be more likely able to watch Daima.
It'll one single merged app by the end of March so yep, it will happen regardless.
Is Crunchyroll merging with them too? I thought it was just Hulu and Disney Plus?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:28 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:18 am
It'll one single merged app by the end of March so yep, it will happen regardless.
Is Crunchyroll merging with them too? I thought it was just Hulu and Disney Plus?
No no, Crunchy belongs to Sony, I was only talking DB prospects at the new merged Disney-Hulu (a single Disney-Hulu app in March, already out in Beta), may have phrased it confusingly

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:30 am

Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:28 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:18 am
No no, Crunchy belongs to Sony, I was only talking DB prospects at the new merged Disney-Hulu, may have phrased it confusingly
Oh gotcha.

I mean what Hulu already has will be on Disney Plus (so subbed DB and GT and dubbed Super and Kai) and I agree it would just be for the best to put Daima on there as well.

But will Crunchyroll and Toei put it on there? We'll see

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:30 am Oh gotcha.

I mean what Hulu already has will be on Disney Plus (so subbed DB and GT and dubbed Super and Kai) and I agree it would just be for the best to put Daima on there as well.

But will Crunchyroll and Toei put it on there? We'll see
Yeah but I'm not sure whether the base D+ sub will automatically give you the base Hulu content (minus say, Live TV channels) or will that still be another 2$ extra or something and whether it will be possible to sub only Hulu content without the base D+ stuff. I edited my previous post.

We'll see what happens with Daima but if Disney gets interested then they obviously can outspend Sony/Crunchy tenfold. Or perhaps Disney will just get dub rights and Crunchy will get the subs, would make sense audiences-wise

Lord this thread reminds me how much I hate the modern streaming era and Excel spreadsheets u need to keep track of all this nonsense where which show is and how can you access it...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:51 am

I am so glad this thread is thriving and people are posting and discussing. Didnt seem that way at first.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:49 am

Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:47 am [. Or perhaps Disney will just get dub rights and Crunchy will get the subs, would make sense audiences-wise
That is totally possible. And pretty much what happened with Super (with Hulu getting the dub a while after it finished airing on Adult Swim and Crunchy only having the subs still afaik). I could see that as a very likely scenario
Lord this thread reminds me how much I hate the modern streaming era and Excel spreadsheets u need to keep track of all this nonsense where which show is and how can you access it...
It is extremely annoying and a big reason why I'm back on physical media for the most part

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:17 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:49 am
It is extremely annoying and a big reason why I'm back on physical media for the most part
Yup. I may have a second look at streaming in 5 years or so after it consolidates some more and we stop having these massive content shakeups every other week across the board.

The whole thing is interesing for Toei and DB's future though. Toei was rather resistant to the streaming era for as long as they could and I get it, but even they can't deny anymore that it's simply the future content consumption, at least for the majority of customers. IMO the time is coming for them to pick their partner in crime to play the long game and access their resources - esp now that Netflix is pushing for anime productio which well, may quickly threathen Toei and other japanese studios' long-established position. So either they hit base 3 in bed with Netflix after that liveaction 1P deal, or... well Disney would be a good bet and a good fit for them. Dragon Ball in Disney parks? Yup. Disney's global endless cash vault and reach? Yup even better than Netflix. The question is if Disney is interested in this direction...

WBD(+Paramount) could work too esp given WB's long animation history. Toei got ties and history with both WB and Disney. Crunchyroll is fine and popular but... it will always be a niche platform and Sony is not interested in expanding neither it or creating their own rival broad-content streaming app so yeah, Toei needs to look far beyond Crunchyroll's limited reach

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 am

The merger got rejected and this has nothing to do with DB.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 am The merger got rejected and this has nothing to do with DB.
I think the first point is sound but the second isnt. Dragon Ball has been an Killer App for Warner for YEARS. Now Adult Swim Latin America airs almost NOTHING but DBZ, having the companies merge and have channels blip out of existance would be a major thing to discuss and I wanted to see what people thought about it.

I agree the thread is pointless in that the merger didnt happen but it would definitely have something to do with Dragon Ball. And there are so many topics that dont even pretend to be about Dragon Ball and are tolerated anyway because we talk about Dragon Ball in it as a tangent. Like that One Piece thread. It's title and premise HAVE NOTHING to do with Dragon Ball.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:12 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 am The merger got rejected and this has nothing to do with DB.
Well in the context of WB/Paramount merger maybe not directly at the moment but I think the larger topic of DB's future in streaming, possibly on WB/Paramount's platform too, is an interesting topic and a and very current/immediate issue. At least for me :P

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:26 pm

Thanks for everyone who took the topic seriously and commented on it. I am glad THE ONLY THREAD I will make in the month didnt flop.