Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Post by peterx » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:17 am

Our beloved Japanese Seiyuus are simply too old for a weekly series (at least Masako Nozawa at 87 years old age), so they don't want anything to happen (death) during the long long show run and they will simply wait until an entirely new Goku's voice take over right from the beginning of DB Super Season 2? Movies, short series like Super DB Heroes are ok, but most likely a full on weekly series for years would be too tiresome for them due to age. They don't want to start season 2 without Masako Nozawa out of respect, at least until she lives..

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 am

I prefer to apply Occam's Razor.

They don't continue the Super series because the Tournament of Power arc is the perfect and definitive conclusion for the Super storyline.

Goku has mastered Ultra Instinct. Beerus and the other Destroyers acknowledge their respect and are in awe, implying that they are surpassed. Goku has defeated the mortal stronger than the Destroyers. The fight involved the entire Multiverse, so you can't raise the stakes any further. Huge crowds were watching the grand finale in city squares live-stream.

The perfect conclusion. There is no reason to continue the Super storyline after this, and Toei was wise to retire the Anime with the TOP arc.

All these new movies and manga arcs that came after the TOP arc/2018 are just milking the cash cow.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:23 am

I understand your points but then for what reason the Super manga continues? Also there are tons of plot points that are not resolved with the current anime ending. And why do introduce 11 other universes (among them 4 fully unknown yet!) if you are not gonna explore them at all?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:47 am

I doubt it is anything more than planning issues. They're creating a series right now, so I would imagine that the issue has more to do with getting ducks in a row for the media mix. They'll recast a voice actor at the drop of a dime, producers don't give that much ofna fuck. It's why they underpay everyone.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:58 am

There's been rumours about Shueshia vetoing the continuation of the Super anime as it helps their manga sales if the newer arcs are exclusive.

I do think the age of the voice actors, particularly Masako Nozawa has been a concern for TOEI, particularly as the manga has went on as the more arcs there are to adapt the more pressure it will put on the actors. It is possible Nozawa has a successor, but he/she will probably come in at the very start of a new series as I don't think the powers that be want another Jôji Yanami scenario where they have to recast while the series is ongoing.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:58 am There's been rumours about Shueshia vetoing the continuation of the Super anime as it helps their manga sales if the newer arcs are exclusive.
That is the complete opposite of why anime adaptions are made in the first place. Anime exist to sell more of the comic and other merchandise. Having an anime helps Shueisha, not hurt.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:02 pm That is the complete opposite of why anime adaptions are made in the first place. Anime exist to tell more of the comic and other merchandise. Having an anime helps Shueisha, not hurt.
True and I ususally don't believe in rumors like that but given the emergence of unrelated Daima and behind-the-scenes mess with Iyoku and DB rights, what other sensible explanation is there really other than Shueisha being the roadbloack here? Toei just waiting because they can afford it (before the profits start to dip more significantly)?

In any case, I think Super manga is entering its final 1/2max arcs and the adaptation will happen eventually and that Iyoku/Toei will succeed in eliminitating Shueisha from potential future veto powers. There's just too much money at stake, we're talking a billion dollar franchise after all

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:30 pm

I think they just decided Dragon Ball doesn't need a weekly series at this time and those resources could be used for other Toei and FujiTV projects and they can just keep the Dragon Ball brand alive with a monthly manga, a movie every four years or so, video games, and now a limited(?) ONA series.

I doubt Nozawa's age is even a concern of theirs. If she dies/retires they'll just replace her like Joji Yanami and Hiromi Tsuru

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm

peterx wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:23 am
. And why do introduce 11 other universes (among them 4 fully unknown yet!) if you are not gonna explore them at all?
The multiverse exist for no other reason but to give Goku a boner that there are strong fighters beyond his own universe. The next escalation from Z
Dragon Ball 86- Wow the world has a lot of strong guys!

Dragon Ball Z- Wow the UNIVERSE has a lot of strong guys!

Dragon Ball Super- Wow there are OTHER universes that have really strong guys!

They were never going to do some Marvel/DC esque exploration of the multiverse thing. At least not in the main series. Multiverse exploration is apparently up Dragon Ball Yu-gi-oh Heroes alley.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:30 pm I think they just decided Dragon Ball doesn't need a weekly series at this time and those resources could be used for other Toei and FujiTV projects and they can just keep the Dragon Ball brand alive with a monthly manga, a movie every four years or so, video games, and now a limited(?) ONA series.

I doubt Nozawa's age is even a concern of theirs. If she dies/retires they'll just replace her like Joji Yanami and Hiromi Tsuru
The bad thing is if the manga doesn't get animated, then those chapters will never make it to any Dragon Ball games. That is why we don't have Moro, 7-3, TUI, Ultra Ego, Granolah and Gas in any Dragon Ball game.

As for merchandise such as action figures and toys, I don't have know if they can use manga exclusive characters.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 am I prefer to apply Occam's Razor.

They don't continue the Super series because the Tournament of Power arc is the perfect and definitive conclusion for the Super storyline.

Goku has mastered Ultra Instinct. Beerus and the other Destroyers acknowledge their respect and are in awe, implying that they are surpassed. Goku has defeated the mortal stronger than the Destroyers. The fight involved the entire Multiverse, so you can't raise the stakes any further. Huge crowds were watching the grand finale in city squares live-stream.

The perfect conclusion. There is no reason to continue the Super storyline after this, and Toei was wise to retire the Anime with the TOP arc.

All these new movies and manga arcs that came after the TOP arc/2018 are just milking the cash cow.

Anime Goku can't turn into UI at will, it was mentioned in the final episode in DBS. If they animate the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter, then he can use UI Omen and UI at will along with new abilities such as auto hardening and a giant avatar of himself.

Vegeta would have something beyond ESSB, which is Ultra Ego. Freeza has his Black form, which is stronger than his Golden form.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:32 pm

I seriously doubt a company, who's sole purpose is to make profit, is prioritizing the artistic angle over profit, when it's there for the taking.
Sounds nice and all, but that's not how the world works.

I'm on the Julie camp here, there's probably some planning issue going on. Whether is something to do with other series' schedule, trying to do a much better job that in 2015-2017 period, or with the manga itself -like waiting to see where they take it and how its received. But saying no, the ending was good enough, so we, a multi-millon-dollar worth company pass on more many million of dollars... ? nah.

I doubt the seiyuu matter is relevant either. They don't really give a fuck, I think. If that was actually on their mind, then they just lost 5 years of good health from the seiyuus. You don't need to wait on them to die to replace them, if you're already planning on replacing them.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:04 pm

super michael wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:57 pm Anime Goku can't turn into UI at will, it was mentioned in the final episode in DBS. If they animate the Moro chapter and Granolah chapter, then he can use UI Omen and UI at will along with new abilities such as auto hardening and a giant avatar of himself.

Vegeta would have something beyond ESSB, which is Ultra Ego. Freeza has his Black form, which is stronger than his Golden form.
An ending doesn't have to conclude all plot threads. A story can have an open-ended conclusion, while still being an ending.

In this case, while Goku can't turn into UI at will, the story doesn't need to progress. It can perfectly end with Goku simply not being able to activate UI at will, with the possibility (left to the viewer's speculation) that Goku will have found a way to use UI at will by End of Z.

I mean, look at GT, it is the most conclusive ending imaginable for Dragon Ball storyline, yet it's literally the most ambiguous ending imaginable to the point that people can't even figure out if Goku is alive or fused with Shenron or dead.

You see with the Broly and Super Hero movies that we don't need to know more about UI. It's perfectly fine to leave it at "Goku mastered Ui but can't use it at will, the End".
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm
peterx wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:23 am
. And why do introduce 11 other universes (among them 4 fully unknown yet!) if you are not gonna explore them at all?
The multiverse exist for no other reason but to give Goku a boner that there are strong fighters beyond his own universe. The next escalation from Z

They were never going to do some Marvel/DC esque exploration of the multiverse thing. At least not in the main series. Multiverse exploration is apparently up Dragon Ball Yu-gi-oh Heroes alley.
Yes, The Multiverse served its purpose.

The main plot of the Destroyer arc is about a tournament between two universes.

The main villain of FT arc is the Supreme Kai of Universe 10.

All escalating into the Tournament of Power, a grand tournament of the Multiverse.

The Multiverse plotline fullfilled its purpose.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm The multiverse exist for no other reason but to give Goku a boner that there are strong fighters beyond his own universe. The next escalation from Z

This.

In hindsight, fans that had been around the block going into Super should have seen this coming, since Toriyama rarely does anything interesting with new locations.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:20 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:32 pm I seriously doubt a company, who's sole purpose is to make profit, is prioritizing the artistic angle over profit, when it's there for the taking.
Sounds nice and all, but that's not how the world works.

I'm on the Julie camp here, there's probably some planning issue going on. Whether is something to do with other series' schedule, trying to do a much better job that in 2015-2017 period, or with the manga itself -like waiting to see where they take it and how its received. But saying no, the ending was good enough, so we, a multi-millon-dollar worth company pass on more many million of dollars... ? nah.

I doubt the seiyuu matter is relevant either. They don't really give a fuck, I think. If that was actually on their mind, then they just lost 5 years of good health from the seiyuus. You don't need to wait on them to die to replace them, if you're already planning on replacing them.
Planning being the issue for SIX years tho? Plus - if they can do Daima there's no reason why not Super so as much as it may sound plausible at first, it doesn't really make sense THIS long and while they can perfectly plan and produce every other show & movies, including a separate Dragon Ball show too for the past year/two.

Agree that at the same time there's little reason for Shueisha to block the anime, hence why I'm 100% in that excuse camp either. However - decisions like this can sometimes be taken stupidly depending on who gets to be in the company's driving seat at a given moment and what their strategy is. Some CEOs simply ARE extremly short-sighted and limited in their views, focused solely on the earnings excel spreadsheet. They may completly disregard the fact that an anime is a massive promotional tool for the manga itself and only look at their own internal manga sales charts, without taking big picture into the equation. And something like that would be a valid reason for Iyoku/Toei to suddenly attempt, after decades of a stable working-relationship, to try and remove Shueisha from having a say in anime production.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:39 pm

Even if the entire cast dropped dead tomorrow, TOEI would still make a new weekly series if it's lucrative.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:52 pm

Are we really gonna keep up the "cast is so old" threads?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:23 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:52 pm Are we really gonna keep up the "cast is so old" threads?
Good thing someone said it already. I hope Nozawa is kept on the role until her death bed to make all these vultures feel like shit.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:34 pm

I'm just speculating here, but I think that Toei is phasing out Super's brand in favor of Daima. I've also heard from (I think it was a MasakoX video) that Toei prefers to have a show that can air weekly for at least 2 years if they plan to release a weekly anime as opposed to taking the seasonal approach.
But, I don't know much about the Japanese TV market so don't just take my word for it.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:42 pm

A seasonal approach really isn't going to work as much when you consider how Toei Animation owns the slot—they're the only ones to put series in the 9:00AM Sunday slot, which means that either way they need to use up their resources to fit that slot. It's difficult to get slots as it is, so losing that slot at all really isn't worth it when they can just fill it with something.

I suppose they could just try filling the slot with more Dragon Ball Kai, but goddamn, that would be a waste.
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:00 pm

I have to agree with the theory that the anime hasn’t been brought back because they don’t think it’s necessary. Toei already has plenty of other things to focus their resources on. They don’t need a weekly anime continuation of a manga that ended nearly 30 years ago on top of it. The Dragon Ball brand seems to be holding on fine as it is.