Skipped episodes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Skipped episodes

Post by Tian » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:55 am

I've just remembered when Cartoon Network Latin America, for some reason, always skipped episode 37 of Dragon Ball Z Kai.

It wouldn't be till 2012 (Cartoon Network Latin America had already finished airing the original run of Kai at the time) that the skipped episode would be finally shown... but only in Ecuador, thanks to Ecuavisa.

While the rest of LatAM had to wait until 2021, when Warner Channel aired the episode on its Kai's run.

Did any broadcaster from your country skip any episodes from their original runs or reruns?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Skipped episodes

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:10 am

I don't recall any episodes being skipped in the UK broadcasts, although when the movies and specials aired on Toonami UK in 2005 Z movies 10-13 and Path to Power didn't air and after Bojack Unbound they skipped ahead to the GT special.

I know not airing movies in between isn't as big a deal as episodes because they are self-contained and many fans don't take them as seriously as the series, but the fact there was a Big Green dub of the GT special was something of an anomaly because most dubs based on the French dub around this time stopped after the first 9 Z movies.

There's long been rumours about Big Green dubs of Z movies 10-13 and Path to Power being out there, although I don't think it's likely as if there was Toonami UK probably would have aired them, as they seemed to be quite committed, airing 3 original Dragon Ball movies, 9 Z movies and the 3 specials.

The Final Chapters also never aired on TV here, despite Kai episodes 1-98 and Super airing on Kix and Pop respectively.

Of course in the US there is the infamous "Lost Episodes" of GT, but I'm not sure of anything similar happening in other territories, at least with the first 16 episodes. Luckily Toonami UK had faith in GT and ran it all the way through, although we got the Blue Water dub and there was no equivalent of A Grand Problem in that version because by then Ocean/Blue Water receiving video masters from AB Groupe rather than Funimation.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:31 am

I remember when GT first aired in the UK, they accidentally skipped the episode were Baby first goes to earth. They skipped to the next episode were he was fighting Goten and I was confused.

I'm sure they went back and aired it the day after though.

Come to think of it I think the same thing happened with Bora's death episode in OG DB's first run. I remember seeing the recap and wondering how I missed that before watching Goku vs Tao. Part of me thought they skipped it because of the violent death, but they did air it on reruns.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:40 am

Wasn't there an episode of Dragon Ball that was skipped over in the countries that received the Blue Water dub?

I don't know if this counts, but the US originally got the first 67 episodes condensed into 53 episodes. It was like the original Kai. It took until 2005 for the US to get all 67 episodes uncut. Then, for GT, they condensed the first 13 episodes into one episode so they can yadda-yadda until the fight with Rilld.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:23 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:40 am Wasn't there an episode of Dragon Ball that was skipped over in the countries that received the Blue Water dub?
Had a feeling that would be brought up, but no. As per 90sDBZ's examples there may have been slipups where Toonami or YTV missed an episode but aired it the next time it was due to air. Episode 71 of Dragon Ball's Blue Water dub was definitely aired though, recordings are just frustratingly rare.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:40 am I don't know if this counts, but the US originally got the first 67 episodes condensed into 53 episodes. It was like the original Kai. It took until 2005 for the US to get all 67 episodes uncut. Then, for GT, they condensed the first 13 episodes into one episode so they can yadda-yadda until the fight with Rilld.
For Z it was the same with all countries where the first 2 seasons aired in English, except for the Philippines, which had its own dub. The Saban dub aired in the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and possibly South Africa and India too. Funimation's dub also aired in Southeast Asia but I believe it was with the remastered dub so if the first 2 seasons aired there it probably would have been the seasons 1-2 redub, which didn't cut any content.

For GT, all territories that aired Funimation's dub (so the US, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa at least) skipped episodes 1-16 and aired the recap episode.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:01 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:23 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:40 am Wasn't there an episode of Dragon Ball that was skipped over in the countries that received the Blue Water dub?
Had a feeling that would be brought up, but no. As per 90sDBZ's examples there may have been slipups where Toonami or YTV missed an episode but aired it the next time it was due to air. Episode 71 of Dragon Ball's Blue Water dub was definitely aired though, recordings are just frustratingly rare.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:40 am I don't know if this counts, but the US originally got the first 67 episodes condensed into 53 episodes. It was like the original Kai. It took until 2005 for the US to get all 67 episodes uncut. Then, for GT, they condensed the first 13 episodes into one episode so they can yadda-yadda until the fight with Rilld.
For Z it was the same with all countries where the first 2 seasons aired in English, except for the Philippines, which had its own dub. The Saban dub aired in the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and possibly South Africa and India too. Funimation's dub also aired in Southeast Asia but I believe it was with the remastered dub so if the first 2 seasons aired there it probably would have been the seasons 1-2 redub, which didn't cut any content.

For GT, all territories that aired Funimation's dub (so the US, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa at least) skipped episodes 1-16 and aired the recap episode.
Well, yeah, it was a Funimation thing. That's just how they produced the first round of Z dubs and that GT episode.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 am

If I remember correctly the Angela episode in the Great Saiyaman saga was skipped by Toonami because it included buildings on fire and was set to air like a week or so after 9/11. It ran in all reruns though.

One I'm surprised nobody mentioned is "Escape from Piccolo" which was skipped by Saban due not being edited enough to their liking/Saban not liking kids fight authority figures, it was a vhs exclusive until Toonami finally aired the episode.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:05 am

Italy didn't skip any episodes per se, though a few of them have been heavily trimmed (e.g. the one with Bulma's watch lasted like half of a regular episode). I'll admit that I don't know if that's ever been rectified in subsequent rereleases.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:45 am

Tian wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:55 am I've just remembered when Cartoon Network Latin America, for some reason, always skipped episode 37 of Dragon Ball Z Kai.

It wouldn't be till 2012 (Cartoon Network Latin America had already finished airing the original run of Kai at the time) that the skipped episode would be finally shown... but only in Ecuador, thanks to Ecuavisa.

While the rest of LatAM had to wait until 2021, when Warner Channel aired the episode on its Kai's run.

Did any broadcaster from your country skip any episodes from their original runs or reruns?
You know as well as I do this was skipped because Freezer impales Krillin in this one. Which shows how far CN has fallen. NOT EVEN 4KIDS AND THE CW skipped this episode!

EDIT: THANK GOD I HAVE A LINK! I can prove 4kids aired it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGUfYFPOS-8

EDIT 2: On second thought this is a FAN EDIT. But I know for sure 4Kids aired it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:00 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:45 am
EDIT 2: On second thought this is a FAN EDIT. But I know for sure 4Kids aired it.
They did but I'm pretty sure they had Funimation edit it even more than it was for Nicktoons making it incomprehensible what Frieza was doing to Krillin

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:13 am

I remember the scene. The only edit there is was that they removed the vocals from Only A Chilling Elegy because it mentions hell in Japanese which is a no-no.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:23 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:45 am You know as well as I do this was skipped because Freezer impales Krillin in this one. Which shows how far CN has fallen. NOT EVEN 4KIDS AND THE CW skipped this episode!
I'm aware it's that episode but I doubt it was the only and main reason for CN to skip it.

Not to mention, that while Kai was being re-mixed with the Kikuchi OST, CN aired DBZ as a last minute replacement and if I recall correctly, it wasn't censored.

There are some people who claim that the episode never got aired in CN because they simply didn't get the episode's master from Toei, which wouldn't be weird to consider it a possibility since Toei LA already has a bad history with the distribution of their masters.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:27 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:13 am I remember the scene. The only edit there is was that they removed the vocals from Only A Chilling Elegy because it mentions hell in Japanese which is a no-no.
My mistake, I thought they edited it further.

If the Japanese vocals from Only a Chilling Elegy were removed it was probably requested by 4kids, rampant xenophobes that they are, for Funimation to use the instrumental version because they didn't want Japanese singing on a kids show. I doubt they would have known the word hell was in the song, otherwise they would of had Funimation censor Piccolo's kanji on Gohan's training gi since that can translate to demon or devil.

Alternatively, maybe they thought the chanting was too scary or intense, but I swear I remember their Yugioh score having latin chanting for the Egyptian Gods theme

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:27 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:13 am I remember the scene. The only edit there is was that they removed the vocals from Only A Chilling Elegy because it mentions hell in Japanese which is a no-no.

If the Japanese vocals from Only a Chilling Elegy were removed it was probably requested by 4kids, rampant xenophobes that they are, for Funimation to use the instrumental version because they didn't want Japanese singing on a kids show. I doubt they would have known the word hell was in the song, otherwise they would of had Funimation censor Piccolo's kanji on Gohan's training gi since that can translate to demon or devil.

Alternatively, maybe they thought the chanting was too scary or intense, but I swear I remember their Yugioh score having latin chanting for the Egyptian Gods theme
That is not true. It's because the song mentioned hell. 4kids and The CW were unique in that they didnt actually have a problem with japanese, written or sung, but they did with words like Evil or Devil. A famous scene in the dub is a blank circle where the kanji for demon or evil was removed from the scene.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:11 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:36 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:27 pm

That is not true. It's because the song mentioned hell. 4kids and The CW were unique in that they didnt actually have a problem with japanese, written or sung, but they did with words like Evil or Devil. A famous scene in the dub is a blank circle where the kanji for demon or evil was removed from the scene.
Why would they care if it said hell in Japanese. Their target audience doesn't understand Japanese. What are the chances anyone from 4kids BS&P even KNEW the word hell was in the song? I'm guessing slim to none.

And 4kids has always had a problem with things being "too Japanese" it's kind of what they were infamous for.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:54 pm

I keep insisting on this The CW didnt actually frown on other japanese songs. Like Dragon Soul in Japanese in the last episodes. And NO OTHER piece of Japanese was removed in such a clumsy and obvious way on DBZKai. DBZKai was 4kids trying to extend an olive branch to the otaku who felt scorned by the 4kids dub of One Piece and to their child audience that they could still get fun shows for them, so other than the sillier edits they wanted to get DBZKai ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

All other songs kept vocals and Ginyu Force rules played BOTH VOCAL VERSIONS AT THE SAME TIME lol.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:23 am

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned the single, most erroneous example, which is North America skipping 140 episodes.

As far as I know original Dragon Ball is unique in the history of English dubbed anime for being put on hiatus for 6 years because the license holder thought its sequel would do better.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:04 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:23 am Kinda surprised no one has mentioned the single, most erroneous example, which is North America skipping 140 episodes.

As far as I know original Dragon Ball is unique in the history of English dubbed anime for being put on hiatus for 6 years because the license holder thought its sequel would do better.
Something similar happened with the Brazilian dub of the franchise.

The OG Dragon Ball series was dubbed with several years of difference, mainly because it was skipped in favor of Z back in 1999.

Episodes 1-60 were dubbed by Gota Magica in 1996 and it wouldn't be until 2002 (by that time, Z already finished its original run and GT was airing in the country) that episodes 61-153 would be dubbed by DPN Santos (the same studio that dubbed GT)

And then in 2005, OG DB would be dubbed again but this time, as whole, by Álamo (the same studio that dubbed Z)