AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:14 am

Sorry for the double post, I can't edit my post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBXJw0G ... Cklatereur

Here, in the comments, people ask what's up with box 2. Basically, from the reviewers information, Toei is taking time with something. Could be many different things. I have asked if he can confirm wether it's sure next box gets released, or not.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:06 pm

Sorry for the triple post...

I wanna note something I came over today while listening to a French Dragon Ball podcast.

In Dragon Ball Cast episode 90, which was released the 22nd of December 2022, at 1 hour and 44 minutes, the cover art designer said "I have already finished the design for box 2"

He was talking about the Blu Ray Dragon Ball box From AB.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:21 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:06 pm Sorry for the triple post...

I wanna note something I came over today while listening to a French Dragon Ball podcast.

In Dragon Ball Cast episode 90, which was released the 22nd of December 2022, at 1 hour and 44 minutes, the cover art designer said "I have already finished the design for box 2"

It's a misinformation, AB didn't asked him anything yet, he just did it from his own self just to be ready

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:28 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:06 pmIn Dragon Ball Cast episode 90, which was released the 22nd of December 2022, at 1 hour and 44 minutes, the cover art designer said "I have already finished the design for box 2"
I feel like he has said this already. Nothing new unfortunately.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01 am

Joujou wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:21 am

It's a misinformation, AB didn't asked him anything yet, he just did it from his own self just to be ready
He said what I did. I didn't misinform. He must have had illustrations from Toei to do this or it would be pointless.

Dragon Ball Ireland:
What's new is that there's a concrete source. I couldn't edit the earlier forum post.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:15 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01 am Dragon Ball Ireland:
What's new is that there's a concrete source. I couldn't edit the earlier forum post.
Fair enough, I'm not sure if it was here or the Blu-Ray.çom forum but I was sure someone mentioned the cover art for box 2 was done. Maybe it was unconfirmed by the artist at the time, but if it is now that's great.

I know there's a lot of naysayers expecting these releases to go the way of the Level sets, but hopefully they won't.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:33 pm

I might have misunderstood, but isn't the broadcast audio everyone is so happy about limited to a certain number of episodes?

You have to be aware that if it's not available anywhere once you get to a certain episode, the creators won't be able to access it for this collection either, and though you'll still enjoy a good visual remaster, you'll have to cope with the fact that you'll lose broadcast audio at a certain point of your viewing experience.

I hope this won't be too much of a bummer for you guys, because you seem to be impatient to be able to access part 2, but you have to be aware that you will probably lose one of the big advantages of this collection with that second volume (if I understood the situation correctly and that the broadcast audio is indeed available online only up until a certain point of the story).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:22 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:33 pm I might have misunderstood, but isn't the broadcast audio everyone is so happy about limited to a certain number of episodes?

You have to be aware that if it's not available anywhere once you get to a certain episode, the creators won't be able to access it for this collection either, and though you'll still enjoy a good visual remaster, you'll have to cope with the fact that you'll lose broadcast audio at a certain point of your viewing experience.

I hope this won't be too much of a bummer for you guys, because you seem to be impatient to be able to access part 2, but you have to be aware that you will probably lose one of the big advantages of this collection with that second volume (if I understood the situation correctly and that the broadcast audio is indeed available online only up until a certain point of the story).

All episodes of DB, Z, GT are online but one or two were incomplete. They might be complete now though.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:21 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01 am
Joujou wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:21 am

He said what I did. I didn't misinform. He must have had illustrations from Toei to do this or it would be pointless.

Dragon Ball Ireland:
it can be taken as misinformation, he said since that time that AB didn't asked him anything yet and that he did it from his own self and as he worked on box 1, he already have access to the image catalog so it absolutely don't mean that box 2 is on the work
mostly when the youtube channel you linked before (and that is far more recent news than a 2022 podcast) said that Toei is slow in something

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:45 am

some news about BOX 2 Delay

here is what was said here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBXJw0Gg32s
by a close source from AB

"c’est la conception du coffret vol2 qui pose problème chez toei. Il semble que ce dernier est très tatillon et, pardon de l’expression, aime enculer des mouches. "

here a straight translation

it's the conception of the vol2 box set that poses a problem for toei. It seems that the latter is very fussy and, pardon the expression, likes to fuck flies.

so it's only because Toei is very nitpicky that AB haven't released box 2 yet, it seems that crunchyroll had the same pb with a french release of sailormoon some time ago

so Toei is the pb

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:57 am

Joujou wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:45 am some news about BOX 2 Delay

"c’est la conception du coffret vol2 qui pose problème chez toei. Il semble que ce dernier est très tatillon et, pardon de l’expression, aime enculer des mouches. "

it's the conception of the vol2 box set that poses a problem for toei. It seems that the latter is very fussy and, pardon the expression, likes to fuck flies.

so it's only because Toei is very nitpicky that AB haven't released box 2 yet, it seems that crunchyroll had the same pb with a french release of sailormoon some time ago

so Toei is the pb
Conception can mean so much...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:46 am

so Toei is the pb
I'm assuming this is a bad auto-translate because that's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard being said about TOEI :shock:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:59 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:46 am

so Toei is the pb
I'm assuming this is a bad auto-translate because that's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard said about TOEI :shock:
Nope, it's not. It's the correct litteral translation. But I would probably have translated is as "Toei likes to be fuck tards."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:04 am

What a surprise, they didn't like the broadcast audio out in the wild! :roll:

Even if AB is allowed to continue their upscale, which I doubt, I almost guarantee you box 2 will use Toei's audio masters.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:43 am

bkev wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:04 am What a surprise, they didn't like the broadcast audio out in the wild! :roll:

Even if AB is allowed to continue their upscale, which I doubt, I almost guarantee you box 2 will use Toei's audio masters.
Listen, I understand your fears but If Toei think a bit they could make money off allowing this selling AB's work to other countries or even releasing it in Japan.
Or did you read the comments about the sailor moon release?
And in what position are you to be able to almost guarantee this?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:53 am

bkev wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:04 am What a surprise, they didn't like the broadcast audio out in the wild! :roll:
Didn't GT air in stereo on Animax Japan and get released on DVD in Taiwan?

If TOEI didn't stop the distribution of higher audio quality for one of their series so close to home I don't see why they'd stop it for another one in France.

Anyway, regarding the original Dragon Ball Blu-Rays, given what I've heard through the grapevine about TOEI I have no reason to doubt they are difficult to work with. It took Manga UK years to work out a deal to release Dragon Ball Z. We have reason to suspect they haven't helped get the Ocean dub of Kai released, even going as far as to suggest Funimation's dub air in Canada, not a wise business move considering the former would generate more interest than the widely available latter, being a product that's never been capitalised on as well as its success having the potential to bring more Dragon Ball and anime dubbing work in general back to Vancouver. In Latin America they gave Cloverway no option but to return the masters for the local dubs or discard them, which was a stupid move as either the best materials for these dubs were lost or TOEI would have to resort to using pirated copies for further airings, which from what I've heard they did (sure an argument could be made it was Cloverway's choice to throw them out but as Latin America is one of the most lucrative markets for Dragon Ball it would probably be better to advise against them making that decision). As I recall Selecta Vision also wanted better masters for their Dragon Ball Blu-Rays but it took a whole 2 years to even get the deal made, then for Z, apparently TOEI advised they use Funimation's season sets but Selecta Vision were against it.

I know licensing is complex, but I've heard so many stories like this and more over the years about the challenges various license holders have had with TOEI and a recurring theme is they're very insistent on having things a certain way even if it goes against the wishes of the people they talk to.

If anything I'd say the fact AB haven't cancelled the release and are clearly taking their time is a good sign. We know fans are behind this project, so maybe AB are standing their ground refusing to bend over backwards to please TOEI because they know if they back down it will only lead to disappointment.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:04 am

I don't think that's the main point here.

The box sold well.

It's a legal release; Toei is making money (the only real thing they care about). They didn't even have to spend any money to "remaster" (I hate to say remaster because, in no case, was the original master used) either audio or video (fans and AB did it). They only have to get their money, and if the product sells very well, why would it bother them? It's not like AB made a product using Toei's stuff illegally without paying any rights to them. I really don't think that's the main issue, basically. Even if it's pirated audios, it remains Toei's property. Additionally, Box 1, which was announced like two years before the release, probably had delays too.

Toei basically shouldn't have checked the audio and video from the first box, meaning that's not what they really care about when a product is released, especially when it's a Toei-owned release.

It's mentioned in the comments by the same source that Sailor Moon had the same issue in France (and Sailor Moon didn't use any broadcast audios or video "remastering"; it was a straight Toei's trash upscale that anyone here could do like 20 years ago). For what I know, Toei is very slow in everything. If a visual is not okay and requires new elements, Toei can provide the elements months later. The same goes for checking; if you send them something to check, it can take weeks or months. They are very well known for being very, very, very nitpicky.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:33 pm

In other words, nothing but the usual that we've all come to expect from this company for decades now.
What's it going to take for things to change completely over there?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:20 pm

I have something to give hope to the situation. Toei Animation Europe proudly boasts about AB Groupe as a licensee. If they were crossed or angry at them they would not do that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:20 pm I have something to give hope to the situation. Toei Animation Europe proudly boasts about AB Groupe as a licensee. If they were crossed or angry at them they would not do that.
On where?