Was Dragon Ball syndicated in any non-US territories?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Was Dragon Ball syndicated in any non-US territories?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:24 am

It's well documented that Funimation's original English dubs of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, which they partnered with Seagull and Saban respectively were syndicated throughout various markets in the US on networks affiliated with CBS, WB/CW, UPN, Fox and possibly more names in the business.

From what I understand though syndication wasn't as common outside the US, so information on this may be harder to track down.

The only ancedotes I've heard are one of the wiki entries, which listed original Dragon Ball's airings in China as "Liaoning Syndication" (although all we know for sure is that the province of Liaoning is where the dub was recorded, a Chinese fan informed me around 1998 the series premiered on Shenzhen TV, which is very far from Liaoning), and that ITV was regional in the 90s, which may explain the rumours of Dragon Ball premiering earlier than Cartoon Network UK if it was only seen in one or a few areas, although this is unlikely.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Was Dragon Ball syndicated in any non-US territories?

Post by Tian » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:46 am

If I recall correctly, when Telefé (Argentinian channel) aired Dragon Ball Z on this block called ZTV, it also aired it on its affiliates as well, some with different timeslots.

Telefé has many affiliates, so I'll name a few: Canal 8 (Mar del Plata), El Nueve TV (Bahía Blanca), El Once TV (Salta), El Ocho TV (Tucumán), among others.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:51 am

Thanks, I'm not surprised Latin America was another region where Dragon Ball was syndicated. I know you have one of the world's most dedicated fanbases there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:08 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:51 am Thanks, I'm not surprised Latin America was another region where Dragon Ball was syndicated. I know you have one of the world's most dedicated fanbases there.
You're welcome.

And sometimes, the affiliates have the better timeslots. For example, ZTV was aired on Telefé and most affiliates at 6am but in Canal 8 Mar del Plata, it was aired at 4pm.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:24 am It's well documented that Funimation's original English dubs of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, which they partnered with Seagull and Saban respectively were syndicated throughout various markets in the US on networks affiliated with CBS, WB/CW, UPN, Fox and possibly more names in the business.

From what I understand though syndication wasn't as common outside the US, so information on this may be harder to track down.

The only ancedotes I've heard are one of the wiki entries, which listed original Dragon Ball's airings in China as "Liaoning Syndication" (although all we know for sure is that the province of Liaoning is where the dub was recorded, a Chinese fan informed me around 1998 the series premiered on Shenzhen TV, which is very far from Liaoning), and that ITV was regional in the 90s, which may explain the rumours of Dragon Ball premiering earlier than Cartoon Network UK if it was only seen in one or a few areas, although this is unlikely.
Nicktoons censored DBS in France. But Idon't think they did two different dubs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:41 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 am Nicktoons censored DBS in France. But Idon't think they did two different dubs
I think you meant to post this in another thread.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:22 pm

I dont think the concept of Syndication exists outside the USA. In most countries, All Network affiliates just air a solid schedule that is decided by the network and not left up to the affiliates themselves.

There DID come a Point where a single Affiliate was so popular in Paraguay they became a whole new network and that is the closest I think.

Oh and networks have different ratings according to the location. On Asuncion and Gran Asuncion Telefuturo reigns supreme. But Paravision is more popular "En el Interior". And I THINK they also have different advertisers.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:41 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:48 am Nicktoons censored DBS in France. But Idon't think they did two different dubs
Doesn't it mean that something syndicated is that something is censored?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:00 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:44 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:41 pm
Doesn't it mean that something syndicated is that something is censored?
Not censorship, broadcast syndication.

If we were to list the countries Dragon Ball was censored in it would probably be a rather long one.

Think small local channels owned by larger broadcasting giants, which may air the show at different times depending on your location.