Did Trunks' maternal grandparents (Bulma's parents) die in EOZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Did Trunks' maternal grandparents (Bulma's parents) die in EOZ?

Post by DB1984 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:49 am

They were nowhere to be seen in the final three episodes of the Anime.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Did Trunks' maternal grandparents (Bulma's parents) die in EOZ?

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:37 am

And neither in Manga EoZ and in GT! that's a interesting question
Well, they both appear in the Super Hero Prequel of the Super Manga, and as far as I remember, the Super Hero arc is meant to take place a year before EoZ, so we can assume that they're still alive at least a year before EoZ, but that's everything.

I doubt they're dead though, EoZ has all this purpose of showing a Definitive Peaceful Earth, Flowers, Smiles etc, also, Gyumao around the time is already a great-grandfather, and well, he's seen there, that could be an indication that the Briefs are still alive.
But there are a few weird details too, Dr. Brief has always had the appearance of an old guy since his first appearance, or maybe that's just impression and until the first Z sagas he was still "young", or he maybe drank from the same supposed fountain of immortality/youth as Muten Roshi supposedly drinks...or maybe he created some machinery to delay aging something like that, who knows

And I'm not even going to talk about Panchy, apparently she's really stuck in that healthy beautiful looking blonde woman appearance, I wouldn't be surprised if she suddenly got sick and died, but if she suddenly appeared with a elderly look, I would find it weird at least lol

I guess they just didn't know how to make her look older than Bulma in EoZ so they avoided her from showing up, Dr. Brief at least would work.

(and kind of convenient too that not only they don't appear in EoZ, but they also don't appear in the Mirai Trunks TV special, and Gyumao appears in both :v)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:05 am

It's never been officially stated as far as I know, but I suspect their absence in GT (including when the entirety of the Earth's population was being moved to Tuffle, which would have been the ideal time for a cameo) was intended to imply they had passed on.

Whether or not they were alive in End of Z is anyone's guess. Trunks' grandparents didn't attend any of the Tenkaichi Budokais so I don't see any reason to wonder why they were absent from the 28th, they seem content with staying in West City.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:24 am

I doubt it, to be honest. Even though Dr. Brief looks like an older guy, how old could he possibly be? They'd both be pretty young in end of Z and GT to have died of old age. And I don't think Dragon Ball would have them die unnaturally or due to disease off screen.

My guess? GT simply overlooked them.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:24 am

I doubt it, to be honest. Even though Dr. Brief looks like an older guy, how old could he possibly be? They'd both be pretty young in end of Z and GT to have died of old age. And I don't think Dragon Ball would have them die unnaturally or due to disease off screen.

My guess? GT simply overlooked them.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 am

Never noticed this before, so there are no scenes of Bra and her grandparents? aside of DBS that is.

In GT, Trunks is president, Dr. Briefs is at least retired. If GT happens 10 years after EoZ, then Briefs is definitely dead, but it's 5... so he could still be alive. The MCs are in their 50s and 60s, Briefs should be pushing 90 or 100. However, with the technological developments available, I would expect them, specifically him, to live longer than expected.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:31 am

I think Toriyama didn't mention them because they're not relevant enough to mention (or not relevant enough to remember in his case more likely).

Dead or not, they're such minor characters that it's ultimately irrelevant.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:28 pm

You're talking about a series where many of the characters who were once regulars like Oolong, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, etc only make fleeting and easily missable cameos (which I thought was a nice development from what the manga had done already, fazing everyone out to make the past feel more distant). A couple of bit characters being absent doesn't mean they're dead, and there's nothing impossible about one's parents being alive at 50 or even 55. 50-54 is the most common age range. My mom didn't lose her parents until 59 and 62, my dad's mother only passed away when he was 65. And that's despite my dad being the youngest of four and my mom the third of four.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:44 am

Off the top of my head, I don't think we've ever seen anyone dying from old age in Dragon Ball, except for Saichourou's second death (though it's implied that the circumstances were particular).

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:11 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 am Never noticed this before, so there are no scenes of Bra and her grandparents? aside of DBS that is.

In GT, Trunks is president, Dr. Briefs is at least retired. If GT happens 10 years after EoZ, then Briefs is definitely dead, but it's 5... so he could still be alive. The MCs are in their 50s and 60s, Briefs should be pushing 90 or 100. However, with the technological developments available, I would expect them, specifically him, to live longer than expected.
GT used to be 10 years after EoZ until DBSuper ruined time lines by making Bra younger than Pan for example.

Back to the topic on hand:

I do believe Dr Briefs was an old man and he passed away due to old age. His wife should still be around.

Why don't we see the mother who was clearly younger, that is another question. We don't see Bulma's sister in the anime either.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:11 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 am Never noticed this before, so there are no scenes of Bra and her grandparents? aside of DBS that is.

GT used to be 10 years after EoZ until DBSuper ruined time lines by making Bra younger than Pan for example.

I do believe Dr Briefs was an old man and he passed away due to old age. His wife should still be around.

Why don't we see the mother who was clearly younger, that is another question. We don't see Bulma's sister in the anime either.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:02 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:11 pm GT used to be 10 years after EoZ until DBSuper ruined time lines by making Bra younger than Pan for example.
I read this and had weird deja vu that we've had this exact conversation before -- because we have.

None of this is true: GT has consistently been established as five years after the end of Z, and Bra has consistently been established as one year younger than Pan (other than one inconsistency within the same book that lists two different years, but in all other cases has been consistent).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:12 pm

One thing we can't say is that Dragon Ball Super "ruined" it (surprisingly!).

Pan debuted in Movie 15, and it takes place in AGE 779. We do know that Universe Survival saga, where Bra debuted, takes place in AGE 780 because the Super Dragon Balls are used there. They take one year to recharge and were last used in Universe 6 saga. So Dragon Ball Super pretty much serves as the absolute confirmation on this matter.

Why they keep saying what is simply not true, even after at one time being thoroughly corrected, is anyone's guess. But hopefully this is the last time.
DB1984 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:49 amThey were nowhere to be seen in the final three episodes of the Anime.
Then again, was there any reason for them to show up?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:31 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:11 pm

I love that poor Saiya6Cit had to be told this twice.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: