Dragon Ball and TV Blocks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball and TV Blocks

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:48 am

I think it was Mr VegettoEX (Or Kunzait) who said Dragon Ball and blocks have always been a thing even before Toonami. Back when it aired syndicated the show was aired on Blocks of 1 hour. Despite not having names or even a package like others that would come after, I realized he was right.

So in yet another exciting thread no one will post on. THE VARIOUS BLOCKS THAT HAVE SEEN DB AIR ON THEM.

Any block is welcome. EVEN those outside the USA. But channels like Toonami UK do not. The Zone from Canada's YTV does for an example.

EDIT:Going to show just how much of a MORON I am, I was told that the UK Toonami DID start as a block of anime on Cartoon Network!

Do share promos and memories too.

THE USA
The Saban Power Hour-Syndicated
Toonami-Cartoon Network
Kids WB-The WB
Toonzai-TheCW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR-82cRyz-8
Vortexx-TheCW
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball and TV Blocks

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:48 am Any block is welcome. EVEN those outside the USA. But channels like Toonami UK do not.
Toonami UK actually was a block in the early days, launched because of the success of DBZ on Cartoon Network. It wasn't until 2003 that it became an actual channel after the failure of CNX.

The block would show stuff like Batman Beyond, Samurai Jack, Xmen Evolution, Gundam Wing, and Tenchi Muyu.

Here's a promo;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUAMfpleRGI

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:25 pm

Oops! Goes to show everyone can learn something new everyday! I will edit that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:53 pm

In Hungary from 1997 we had a TV Block called Rajzfilm Klub (means: Cartoon Club), with a lot of anime.
The most famous of course were Dragon Ball (later Z) and Sailor Moon.

Here is the first promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatSHejaB1s

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:39 pm

I know this is a really late new post but I'd rather just bump this than create a new thread. Dragon Ball aired on Pokito in Germany, a Kids Block by the RTL 2 network.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:16 am

There was actually a block on Cartoon Network UK that predated Toonami called A.K.A, it came on weekday nights from 7-9pm between late 1999 and sometime in 2000 and was narrated by a character called 'Jacket Potato' who resembled Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory with an afro:

This block aired a range of content from Hannah Barbera stuff to Cartoon Network originals to Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and if memory serves me Freakazoid too. They also had an original show called Cult Toons, which featured clips from shows like The Hair Bear Bunch, The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop and Hong Kong Phooey. I don't remember much about Cult Toons but by the sounds of it think of it like remixes in music. Interestingly some music artists did appear to promote their singles on the show. One example was an indie group called Gay Dad.

Sadly while there is still some recordings from A.K.A all the evidence of Dragon Ball Z seems to be lost, but I do remember for sure they aired it, it would have been towards the end of the block's run though as Dragon Ball Z premiered in March 2000, and as 90sDBZ has said it was just Cartoon Network first, but its success led to Toonami being brought over here. Z first aired on weekdays at 5pm with a rerun at 7.30pm, regular Cartoon Network premiered the new episodes and then A.K.A would air the first rerun.

Cartoon Network over here also had a Dragon Ball Z Rewind block, which was obviously exclusively Dragon Ball Z, and it gave fans a chance to catch up on the new episodes they missed during the week, which was nice. Must have been launched because of the insane demand for slots the show could air on. I don't think it was a block, but on that note it's probably worth mentioning we had weekend marathons too, which as I recall ran the Saiyan, Namek and Freeza sagas like crazy. There was never any shortage of this series on Cartoon Network or its sister channels CNX and Toonami between 2000 and 2005. If you had those channels it was pretty much inescapable.

When our Toonami channel launched it also had its own blocks around 2004 and 2005, which also aired Dragon Ball. There was a Tournament block that ran original Dragon Ball alongside Pokemon, Beyblade and Duel Masters as well as Destination Friday, which I don't think fans would have too great memories of as they only aired the Dragon Ball movies and specials with the Big Green dub:

I guess it's worth noting because unlike the Big Green dubs of Dragon Ball Z movies 1-9 and the TV specials, which were released on some DVDs, the dubs of the original Dragon Ball movies and GT special only ever aired on Destination Friday and as I'm pretty sure they were never seen or released elsewhere, so that's kind of neat at least.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:07 am

On 03/16/1996 they aired the BLT dub on YTVs the zone they aired all 13 episode bub i don't if they aired the movie. And then n 2003-2004 they aired the blue water dub

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:13 pm

I forgot Kids WB also aired DBZ. Their run treated the show pretty awfully but they did.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:13 pm I forgot Kids WB also aired DBZ. Their run treated the show pretty awfully but they did.
I think that was just some random Toonami on KidsWb cross promotion thing for like a week. I believe they did the same thing for Sailor Moon S. It was also, iirc, completely random episodes. Which is fine for kids who had seen those shows, not so fine for kids who were seeing those shows for the first time (i.e kids who didn't have cable tv)

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:45 pm

Are you talking about the CWs Toonzai vortexx block they aired all of kai but not the final chapters. It lates through 2010-2013 or 2012 I think. The dub was to my source it was unofficial. And the dub has some terrible editing have have most of the episodes but we are missing some Android saga episodes and the last 3 episode ls also missing. In opening they removed shenron and cut goku getting 👊 in the face. The 👊 I can understand but the removal of shenron Was completely unnecessary They're really doing an Arabic right now. And lines where redubb by 1 guy.
Her is son other changes that happend

Mr. Popo become blue
Bulma had pants on instead of her only have underwear
Gohan has the same eye in 1 scene
King kai said that you can't spell sprit bomb without sprit bomb
And best of all piccolo is now a sayain just like goku.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQLbtx4U ... phaQ%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41wXIIGSp ... phaQ%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qi0bDxePo ... 15&pp=iAQB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2GFx0hLZc ... 21&pp=iAQB

So is Toonzai the block name or the block is block called vortexx

From the lest censored to the most censored we got
Original Japanese
Toonami
Nicktoons dub
Ocean studios dub
CW/4kids
Last edited by Dragon ball master on Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:08 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:45 pm Are you talking about the CWs Toonazi vortexx block they aired all of kai but not the final chapters. It lates through 2010-2013 or 2012 I think. The dub was to my source it was unofficial. And the dub has some terrible editing have have most of the episodes but we are missing some Android saga episodes and the last 3 episode ls also missing. In opening they removed shenron and cut goku getting 👊 in the face. The 👊 I can understand but the removal of shenron Was completely unnecessary They're really doing an Arabic right now. And lines where redubb by 1 guy.
Her is son other changes that happend

Mr. Popo become blue
Bulma had pants on instead of her only have underwear
Gohan has the same eye in 1 scene
King kai said that you can't spell sprit bomb without sprit bomb
And best of all piccolo is now a sayain just like goku.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQLbtx4U ... phaQ%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41wXIIGSp ... phaQ%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qi0bDxePo ... 15&pp=iAQB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2GFx0hLZc ... 21&pp=iAQB

So is Toonazi the block name or the block is block called vortexx

From the lest censored to the most censored we got
Original Japanese
Toonami
Nicktoons dub
Ocean studios dub
CW/4kids
Can you please correct this to Toonzai? I like the block and dont want it to be associated with Nazis.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:20 pm I think that was just some random Toonami on KidsWb cross promotion thing for like a week. I believe they did the same thing for Sailor Moon S. It was also, iirc, completely random episodes. Which is fine for kids who had seen those shows, not so fine for kids who were seeing those shows for the first time (i.e kids who didn't have cable tv)
Not KidsWB, but as I recall Dragon Ball Z aired on WB syndicates. Did they have blocks?
Dragon ball master wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:45 pm Are you talking about the CWs Toonazi vortexx block they aired all of kai but not the final chapters. It lates through 2010-2013 or 2012 I think. The dub was to my source it was unofficial.
I believe Vortexx was a block on the CW, they aired Kai on Saturday mornings, but as you say, it was more cut than it was on Nicktoons. The Nicktoons airings were edited by Ocean Studios so their dub will likely use the same master. Saban acquired Vortexx after 4Kids' assets were split between Saban's Kidsco Media Ventures LLC and Konami's 4K Acquisition Corp when 4Kids filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:13 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:20 pm I think that was just some random Toonami on KidsWb cross promotion thing for like a week. I believe they did the same thing for Sailor Moon S. It was also, iirc, completely random episodes. Which is fine for kids who had seen those shows, not so fine for kids who were seeing those shows for the first time (i.e kids who didn't have cable tv)
Not KidsWB, but as I recall Dragon Ball Z aired on WB syndicates. Did they have blocks?
I could be wrong, but I think Saban sold all their syndicated shows in a package so affiliates that aired DBZ would have also aired Saban's other shows as part of the Saban Kids block i.e Dragon Ball Z would have aired alongside Samurai Pizza Cats and Eagle Riders and whatever else was on that block

Someone who actually remembers more than bits and pieces of 1996 and 1997 would be more qualified to answer though.

But also Dragon Ball Z did air on KidsWB proper for at least one week as part of a Toonami on KidsWb ratings stunt

https://youtu.be/lqkoz5w17D8?si=IdYckvd-cPzBMazX

Sidenote: I forgot how obnoxious these promos could get

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:23 am

Here in Argentina, the Dragon Ball franchise has been historically shown in several blocks:

Magic Kids: OG Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT were shown on this Magic Kids' block called El Club del Animé (Spanish for The Anime Club) between 1998 and 2005.

Azul TV: Dragon Ball Z was shown on Azul TV's Azul Toon here between 1999 and 2002.

Telefé: Dragon Ball Z was shown on Telefé's ZTV between 2012 and 2015. All the 291 episodes were aired.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:44 pm

So just bumping this thread as I came across an article about another YTV block that aired Dragon Ball Z in 1999 on Saturday mornings called Snit Station hosted by a robot called Snit, which aired other anime like Pokemon and Digimon and Nickelodeon originals CatDog and SpongeBob SquarePants.

Worth noting because people often say the alternate English dub was made to fulfill Canada's local content quota, this is more proof that wasn't the reason. This article, which predates the Westwood dub clearly states YTV had exceeded their quota for Canadian content. The Ocean Group were editing Funimation's dub at this point, but that doesn't count as per the CRTC's guidelines. YTV had no shortage of Canadian content when they aired Dragon Ball Z.

The BLT dub of original Dragon Ball also premiered during a block called Brainwash, which ran from 8am till noon on Saturday mornings, so don't let anyone tell you the show failed in syndication. Clearly it did well enough in the US for YTV to take notice and air it on national TV with a good timeslot.

Now other than The Zone and Bionix do we know of any other Canadian blocks? Snit Station was replaced by Vortex, but from what I can tell they didn't air any Dragon Ball content.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:37 am

Thanks to Dragon Ball Ireland I realized OG Dragon Ball is airing on a block in Paraguay, Franja Animada... which means "Animated Block". LOL.