Favorite Super characters

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Favorite Super characters

Post by Kappa » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Edit: I don’t have one anymore.
Last edited by Kappa on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 am, edited 14 times in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Favorite Super characters (new)

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:39 pm

My list looks about the same as yours.

Zamasu/Goku Black: the funniest and most entertaining villain, with an original move-set, a creative origin story, a unique dynamic with each other and the main characters, interesting motivations that tie into the lore of the Supreme Kais/Destroyer Gods, and an amazing VA.

Caulifla/Kale/Kefla/Cabba: I like that they break the stereotype that the more muscular a Saiyan is = the stronger he is, interesting evolution path and differences with the U7 Saiyans.

I appreciate the unique designs of each of the Destroyers. While Supreme Kais and Angels are very similar in terms of design, the artists (Toei? Who did it first?) went all out with the Destroyers and it shows. Each of them is unique and easily-distinguishable:

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:39 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:39 pmI appreciate the unique designs of each of the Destroyers. While Supreme Kais and Angels are very similar in terms of design, the artists (Toei? Who did it first?) went all out with the Destroyers and it shows. Each of them is unique and easily-distinguishable
The Gods of Destruction are indeed some very distinctive and fun designs. They are all designs from Toriyama and/or Toyotarou. Interestingly, the same designer each seems to be responsible for Gods of Destruction as 'twinned' pairs (whether coincidentally or deliberately), as follows:

Toriyama Designs
Quitela (Universe 4) and Sidra (Universe 9)
Champa (Universe 6) and Beerus (Universe 7)

Toriyama-Toyotarou "Joint Designs"
Heles (Universe 2) and Belmod (Universe 11)

Toyotarou Designs
Iwan (Universe 1) and Giin (Universe 12)
Mosco (Universe 3) and Rumsshi (Universe 10)
Arak (Universe 5) and Liquiir (Universe 8 )

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:30 pm

I wonder if the "joint designs" for Heles and Belmod started out as vague ideas from Toyotaro that Toriyama then fleshed out into full concepts, given that their reference art is distinctly Toriyama.

To topic: Jiren, but specifically manga Jiren. Black in the anime is also fun, but only in complete isolation.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:06 pm

I'm a sucker for the twin GoDs of U6 and 7. Also Irico and Jaco. They all crack me up like only Kid Goku and Kid Krilin knew how.

I like Jiren, I love Broly, and I wanted to like Granola, but I'm not sure how I feel about him now. Hit was cool, too.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:20 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:30 pm I wonder if the "joint designs" for Heles and Belmod started out as vague ideas from Toyotaro that Toriyama then fleshed out into full concepts, given that their reference art is distinctly Toriyama.
Quite possibly - the finished publicity art for Belmod, at least, is unmistakably Toriyama's work. But then again, considering how attached Toyotarou is to Belmod in particular (he's been his Twitter icon for ages), it may well have been a genuine "collab" between the pair.

Anyhoo, on-topic:

I'm very fond of Otta Magetta, for his design, weirdness, and the fact that I find his fight with Vegeta to be hilarious (it's hard to call him a "character" exactly, since he doesn't exactly have personal characteristics beyond being hypersensitive).

Since we're talking Belmod, it's worth noting that he himself is actually a really fun character, and we get quite a depth of insight into his highly individualistic, slightly seedy, underhand fixer mindset across the Tournament of Power arc. His chemistry with Marcarita and (anti-chemistry?) with his team is also fun to see through the arc.

Going totally in the other direction, I'm personally very fond of Merus, as a straightforwardly and consistently positive, giving, competent, and likeable presence when set against Dragon Ball's usual cast of Screw-ups Made Good; the Angelic strand to the writing of his character also grounds his character arc nicely within the progression of the Moro arc overall.

I also really appreciate The Heeters as a unit whenever they get to properly interact, as they carry some very interesting concept work in terms of their roles within the family "body" and also their own personal dynamics, which can be surprisingly nuanced (particularly when Gas and Elec share scenes), but they get split up too much in the arc and don't get to interact in ways that would keep them as interesting as they can be for a chunk of its second half, often with just Gas out there on his own (plus Macki/Oil commentary).

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:18 pm

Goku Black. The rest of the new characters are easily forgettable, not to mention lame designs of most of them.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:15 pm

If Beerus doesn't count, then I think Goku Black is easily the most welcome addition to the cast, especially the anime version.

I like Merus and Granolah too. Gamma 2 is cool too.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:51 am

Obviously Beerus, Whis and Jaco are the top 3, but if we're ignoring them:

- Zeno: Incredibly strange fellow.
- Grand Priest & his retainers: Those stringbean looking psychos have such a strange and cool design, I have to assume we'll be seeing more of them someday.
- Berryblue & Sorbet (Freeza's assistants in RoF and Broly): They're both very funny and have great designs, what's not to like?
- Broly: Sort of feels like a loophole but DBS Broly is effectively a new character, right?
- Lemo & Cheelai: Honestly made the Broly film, glad we're still seeing them in the manga

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:17 pm

It was a little remiss of me not to mention Beerus, Whis, and Broly, but I didn't count them because they're not technically "new" characters exclusive to Super. Of course, this is all very grey and arbitrary.

Particular shout-out to the whole trio of Broly, Cheelai and Lemo as it's indeed one of the stronger character dynamics in the series.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:49 pm

I have lots.
  • Goku Black
  • Zamasu
  • Broly
  • Cheelai
  • Frost
  • Cabba