Curse Of The Blood Rubies DVD error

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

animalia555

Curse Of The Blood Rubies DVD error

Post by animalia555 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:56 pm

I got gifted a copy of the Dragonball 4 movie collection for my birthday

On the copy of Curse Of The Blood Rubies around the 16 minute mark, there seems to be a production error as a black spot in the animation occurs.

I gave the set back to my parents (the ones who got it for me) and they returned it to Amazon where they exchanged it with a new set. But the new set had the same problem as shown here. (someone I know with a background in film called them cue marks if that makes a difference_ So my questions are is this indeed a production error, or is it for some reason left deliberately in? And if it is a production error how can I get a disk without the issue?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Re: Curse Of The Blood Rubies DVD error

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:05 pm

Unfortunately those artifacts are on almost all international copies of these films. They were transferred to digital media from copies of copies of the original film prints. This film print copy process also affected the color of the films and the quality (audio and visual).

As your friend explained, the cue marks are there for the film projectionist. A job that has largely been phased out with the transition to digital film. The artifact is hard-coded into the image.

Because the digital transfer was from a second, third, or fourth generation copy of the original film print, there is no way to restore it without some digital meddling that has its own downsides. The whole idea of digital restoration from secondary film copies is a can of worms.

In short, for the price, this is the best quality version of these films you'll be able to get. The best quality transfers that exist were sold only on the Japanese market and they're called "Dragon Box." You can search for Dragon Box transfers of these films, but they're pretty expensive.

animalia555

Post by animalia555 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:04 pm

thank you very much

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:25 pm

The same thing happened on my blt dvd I think every release uses this print but it might not be the same for VCDs

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 pm

Hm, interesting. It looks like this does exist on the BLT and Funimation releases--even on the VHS. I never noticed it. I guess I'm just used to all sorts of things popping up on these releases. I guess Toei fixed this on their end (or the copy they sent to Funimation was not as clean).

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:07 pm

I wasn't aware Toei released Blu-Rays and now I'm sad because I doubt Sony/Crunchyroll has any interest in licensing that.