DBZ's TV Ratings reign is over.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DBZ's TV Ratings reign is over.

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:37 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:05 pmI very specifically remember that happening when I was expecting to see the next episode after Vegeta's kamikaze attack. "Gohan's First Date" even debuted in the second run of those episodes in November after being skipped for being set to air too close after 9/11 and featuring buildings on fire.
On the subject of 9/11 it's also interesting when Goku and friends were travelling to the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Lunch (who was tense) said in the Japanese version she was trying to overpower her urge to hijack the plane whereas in Funimation's dub she said she was tense over the mention of Jackie Chun. I believe the episode aired a year after 9/11 but its really interesting they censored that line in particular to be cautious about anything involving usage of a plane.
Yeah not surprising even a year after 9/11 they were still being cautious at offending anyone by hitting too close to home. I do think they had the "hijack an airplane" line in the Mystical Adventure movie dub, which was dubbed and release a year or two before 9/11. I could be misremembering though as I haven't bothered to watch that movie's dub in a long time.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:33 pm

175 DRAGON BALL Z KAI ADSM Sat 02:30 - 03:00 0.094 169

The Kai reruns had these nice numbers. These are low but its on the TOP RERUNS list and its doing quite well now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:22 pm

Dragon Ball and Toonami are an iconic duo, it's bound to almost always be their best performing show. I'd also argue contrary to popular belief the former helped the latter far more than the latter helped the former.

We can only look to the UK as an example of what happens when Toonami gets rid of anything and everything Dragon Ball as everyone could see the beloved channel collapsing before their eyes in its last two years between 2005 and 2007.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: