Dragon Ball and Centrism disguised as "A Desire for works to stop being political"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball and Centrism disguised as "A Desire for works to stop being political"

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:29 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:36 amManga and entertainment should stay away as far from politics as they can.
Why? because it might offend you personally?
We don't want another situation like the Death Note, which featured a sudden appearance by President Trump.
Why? It made for a hilarious visual and made sense in the context of the story being told.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball and Centrism disguised as "A Desire for works to stop being political"

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:33 pm

Vorige Waffe wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:12 pmYou literally are given an explanation for why something in Dragon Ball is the way it is, but instead of accepting that, you have to construe it as meaning something else because.... why? That Dragon Ball has to be political? That it has to be "deep"? You're trying to squeeze out the meaning of words of something that's already been explained.
This just in: something being political or having political content doesn't therefore mean its inherently "deep". Political content can be just as deep or shallow as anything else, and a given work having political content or being a byproduct of political content (as quite literally EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD IS) does not inherently confer it any degree of greater depth or meaning. It simply denotes that it is a work created by a human being with a pulse.

For just a random example of this: Canon Films, one of the single most successful low budget Hollywood movie studios of the 1980s, literally rose to success by way of pumping out a steady stream of action movies (you might've heard of a guy by the name of Chuck Norris: at least 70% of the reason you know him and why he's in the mainstream zeitgeist is because of the movies he made with Canon in the 80s) that were HUGELY overtly political in their content (covering topics as wide as Iran Contra, the Vietnam War, White Nationalism, the Cold War, Israel/Palestine, just to name a FEW examples) while also simultaneously being as birdbrained stupid, idiotic, and shallow as all get out. And they were FAR from unique in this regard in terms of the overall mainstream media landscape both back then and today at present.

Political does not always equal "deep" guys. Political in this context just means "something in the work that is reflective towards something tangible to real life". You know... that thing that art and stories are supposed to exist for in the first place.

I'm not making a joke or snarky comment here: I think genuinely, sincerely, there are a horrifying LOT of people on this forum (and fandom overall) who seem to legitimately not understand the basic-most dictionary definition of the word "politics" and all the various contexts in which it is used or is applicable.

Guys... this is remedial, grade school education stuff here. These are concepts you're supposed to understand by somewhere within grades K through 5th. School wasn't supposed to just be the place you go as kids to eat crayons and swap Yu Gi Oh! cards: you were primarily supposed to learn precisely this kind of shit there.

English 101? History 101? Social Studies? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:58 pm

Art and politics go together like peanut butter and jelly. Anyone who has study art history (like myself) would know this. A lot of people only see on what is on the surface level and not anything else. Like these examples

She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:58 pm Art and politics go together like peanut butter and jelly. Anyone who has study art history (like myself) would know this. A lot of people only see on what is on the surface level and not anything else. Like these examples

LOL Ultraism. The thing that cannot be missing from any good Superman story.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:35 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:58 pm Art and politics go together like peanut butter and jelly. Anyone who has study art history (like myself) would know this. A lot of people only see on what is on the surface level and not anything else. Like these examples

I don't think most people would be completely oblivious to the 'war is bad' message in Gundam. At least in Gundam AGE, the only Gundam series I've seen, it was laid on pretty thick (I generally don't care about mecha but I watched AGE since it spans around 80 years and I always have to watch any series that depict the passage of time and characters' life stories; Flit's transformation from regular middle school kid to gruff hard-boiled middle-aged man to crazy unfettered grandpa was fun). When most people say that something is or isn't political, what they're actually saying is that it's not political in any way that's controversial or emotionally sensitive. 'War is bad' is a pretty uncontroversial stance that only becomes controversial if more specific wars are involved, mentioned, or alluded to. Giant robots fighting in space, with no direct allusions to real world wars, wouldn't cause a negative response in many people. (I don't know if Gundam makes allusions or references to specific wars, I haven't watched any outside of AGE, though I don't recall AGE making any allusions to real life wars - but the show did finish almost 12 years ago so it's not like I have the best memory of it.) Not to say that it could never be controversial even in its generic form, I guess some would take offense especially depending on the timeframe and social climate, but it's still a message that would be accepted amongst the vast vast majority of readers/viewers, unlike something like a TV show episode revolving around antivaxxers or anti-maskers that would cause major shitstorms to erupt.

Likewise, Freeza's army does put some of Toriyama's values and beliefs on display, but "Tyrannical mass murdering despots are bad" is likewise such an uncontroversial perspective that it's unlikely to ruffle anyone's feathers, so most people wouldn't register it as 'political.' The colloquial, mainstream definition of 'political' - even if it's an incorrect definition - is something with potential to be divisive and controversial and uncomfortable.

Not trying to give too much of my own thoughts on anything here, just trying to give the thread some direction, I guess, since it's important for people to be on the same page when it comes to definitions. The proper definition of political might be 'anything that relates to the real world or society at all,' whereas the colloquial definition used by the vast majority of people is 'anything that relates to divisive, controversial, hot-button topics.' Maybe knowing the other side's definition would make it easier for both sides to talk to each other. I dunno.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:27 pm LOL Ultraism. The thing that cannot be missing from any good Superman story.
I think the meme meant to say altruism. I wasn't the one who made it, I found it browsing around the web.
She/Her

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:01 pm

To go back to the Freeza example even if Toriyama didn't expect the preteen boys in his target audience to understand the social commentary he was making with Freeza it's still there. Even if the manga only presented it as: "hey, Freeza and his soldiers are dicks, don't be like them" he's still trying to get his message across to his audience, just in a subtle way. People just don't think about it because as much as we love it Dragon Ball isn't known for its subtlety.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:01 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:36 am Manga and entertainment should stay away as far from politics as they can. We don't want another situation like the Death Note, which featured a sudden appearance by President Trump.
We had George Bush (or at least someone who looks like him) during the 2000s in the series. I don't see how Trump apperancing makes it more political?
She/Her

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm

Comics and other mediums for telling stories should absolutely take our political leaders and make fun of them and how pathetic they are, actually. This is how art has been made since...the beginning of time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm Comics and other mediums for telling stories should absolutely take our political leaders and make fun of them and how pathetic they are, actually. This is how art has been made since...the beginning of time.
Also mocking political figures is one of the most milquetoast forms of satire. Imagine clutching your pearls over that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 am
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm Comics and other mediums for telling stories should absolutely take our political leaders and make fun of them and how pathetic they are, actually. This is how art has been made since...the beginning of time.
Also mocking political figures is one of the most milquetoast forms of satire. Imagine clutching your pearls over that.
Exactly. Punching up never gets boring.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:29 pm

I think the perception that media is more political has more to do with a lot of shows and movies these days being much more heavy handed and performative with the political overtones than in year's past, because modern writers - or maybe not even writers, just the executives that have an increasingly overpowered influence on the production of shows - don't trust audiences to grasp any message unless it's fed on a spoon with a pretend airplane. Heavy handedness used to be unique to Spike Lee movies and the biggest point of criticism for him, but now they're pretty tame by comparison.

Plus with marginalized groups more visible than before, it's more lucrative to make them think you're on their side.

And plus as Dr. Casey said, a lot of the political themes in the past were so basic that they don't even register to people as "politics."
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

There's a lot of what I would call 'exective-friendly representation' in a lot of modern works, where the rep still feels very "executive wants to do rainbow capitalism, but isn't really letting said groups control their own representation." I remember getting this feeling a lot with, say, the trans representation in Supergirl (2015). While Nia (Dreamer) was indeed played by a very famous trans activist (Nicole Maines), the storylines around her were still very tame and cishet-friendly by comparison (i.e., it put forth that trans people needed to be patronized by so-called allies when they want to respond to the violence from their oppressors with violence). Now that Maines is writing DC comics, she seems a lot more interested in going harder with the writing, which I think is nice.

X-Men '97 is a recent series that feels a little more like the sort of works that queer people want. The criticism of the finger-wagging that minorities face from governments and cishet white people is really up front and center in every episode, and the characters all ooze queerness, even if nobody ever says it. We have direct confirmation in interviews that the series is inspired by the trauma of the Pulse Nightclub massacre, and 9/11.

Dragon Ball's commentary is far more subdued as a result, but I think that also probably just goes to show how little Toriyama really had to face. At the end of the day, he still had wealth and popularity out the wazoo, and even if Freeza's depiction is based on a general sentiment of "landsharks bad" it's not nearly as biting as it could be.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

I know One Piece and its fanbase are...yeah... But one thing it ALWAYS got right, is that LGBT or even just their queer coded characters ARE NOT told to "not rock the boat" by allowing privileged groups walk over them and say they have no right to harness violence when faced with violence. Bon Clay, Ivankov, his people are shown and not just told to be badasses and they are not shown as wrong for doing so. Yamato is a great character that most of everyone loved and wanted to see join the Straw Hats.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: