"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:14 am

All the other DLCs would have been just "okay", if it wasn't for Trunks DLC showing how great and substantial they can be. That's the problem with setting the bar too high and for being "too good for its own good". Even when we are lucky to get nice things, we can't properly enjoy them because it will come back to bite us in the ass eventually (sometimes it happens at the same time!). I still thank you for letting me fly around on Vegeta, I think it'll always be an amazing and unique experience (at least as long as it is the only game that allows that), although I would very much like to have Bardock content in a Bardock DLC, not Vegeta stuff.

This is both hilarious and sad... A hilariously sad situation.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:07 pmIt would require massive restructuring of that epilogue to make it work,
kemuri07 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:47 pmIf super ever decides to recontextualize EoZ--it certainly won't happen in a video game.
I mean, it isn't really necessary to include Dragon Ball Super stuff. All they needed to do was omit Piccolo's line, it doesn't exist in the manga anyway (although it would still be a bit odd Piccolo not participating, just as it is in the series), as well as either make Vegeta go Super Saiyan 3 with his earthling clothing, or not make a Goku and Vegeta rematch at all. If they did that, I wouldn't think it would be that weird the way it currently is.
nato25 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:06 am Goku recognises Bulla who is 4 years old but hasn't seen Bulma (and she implies her family) for 5 years.
It isn't full five years, so it makes sense. They rounded up the number.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:41 am

I don't think they should have recontextualized EoZ, necessarily. I like EoZ as it is.

I just think they should have picked a damn side. The new additions are thoroughly half-assed compared to past DLCs, nevermind all the pointless grinding to unlock skills that were already in the game aside from a couple of moves; discount all that fluff and whatever's left could've just been put at the end of the base game instead. It's free update tier content.

As it stands, I will forever remember Goku's Next Journey as "that one DLC that didn't actually need to be a DLC". It's the only episode outside of Bardock that I'll never feel compelled to revisit.

If I had to pick a favorite part, it'd be the main event itself: Son Goku vs. Oob. I enjoyed that.

But that's, like, one fight.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:45 pm

This DLC made me realize how much the English script (which local versions like the French version are based on) is transformed compared to what's being said in Japanese!

Sometimes, the characters are just not talking about the same thing at all, and information from the original is completely erased. Bulma saying she'll use Shenron to get younger is changed to insulting Saiyans a bit instead, Goku insists on having a discussion about hot-dogs rather than talking about the upcoming strong guy, Bulma just pointing out that Trunks happens to be here too is turned into a lesson in how not to say "hey" to people, Piccolo saying he doesn't understand how his phone works when he actually just says that Goku will never change (which is not coherent with Piccolo knowing how to use a phone in the latest movie while we're at it), Gohan telling Piccolo he doesn't buy the excuse of being too old and that he hasn't changed in ten years when he's actually telling Goku that registrations will be closed soon and that they should not wait any longer (with a gesture of looking at his watch to go with it), Pan saying "good, thanks for asking" to Mister Satan when she's actually telling him he's prickly in a cute, amused way...

You can come up with dozens of examples of the subtitles (and therefore the English dub) not being faithful at all to what the character is actually saying in Japanese but something else that the localisation team entirely made up...
The number of completely unnecessary changes is flabbergasting!

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:38 pm

I loved all your opinions on “final” dlc and generally agree. Let me start with I love DBZ. I have just about every dbz game that has come stateside (and even imported a few). This is probably my dream favorite Dragon ball game. I love it and have put 250 hours in multiple playthroughs on pc and switch. My biggest complaint in general is when things were glossed over which happened very little in the maingame (trunks vs cell), but more so in some dlc. Overall the first dlc’s were very minor extensions (gods and frieza). History Trunks was solid. As was Broly and end of DB tourney (except no chi chi vs goku. Why not?). This final dlc was not overhyped by me but is slightly disappointing. The flow and momentum felt inconsistent as were the side missions. Fighting Pan, and teen Goten/Trunks was not overly exciting. This part of Z is quite short and I think expanding it and taking some liberties would have made it more fun. I agree with comment “why not make vegeta go ssj3?” Also uub battle was slightly disappointing and could have been cooler. Overall still an amazing game. I would’ve loved to see later Super segments done in this game format, but not in small dlc’s. Super can get its own game. Dragon ball too. I would love that but don’t know what they’ll do next. (Hey I’d even take GT sorry!)

Anyway sorry for rant. I will always take more content but at some point would a sequel have been better than all this additional content? I’m not sure 🤔 . Roughly 6 packs in about 3-4 years?

(Honorable other favorites include budokai series, fighterz, revenge of king piccolo, gba adventure games, and hey even xenoverse games)

Now we look forward to new sparkling game, but sorry to say I’m less excited. It’s like the 15th fighting game with a billion playable characters. I would love to see an rpg or some other new format/genre. But who am I kidding, I’ll be getting it.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:21 pm

I played a little of the new DLC and it's fun so far, I haven't played the majunior DLC yet but I like the ground battle mechanic.

Since they got that mechanic, I'd imagine if they do OG Dragon Ball again they'll use the ground battle mechanic for it. The Tournament of Power would probably use the ground battle mechanic too.

I've heard they'll be doing a Super Season-Pass eventually but I wonder how much longer this game could go on, what are the sales numbers for the DLCs?

If the DLC continues for a few years I do hope we'll get a GT Season Pass. The Blackstar Dragon Ball hunt would get covered in full for the first time ever in a 3D Dragon Ball game (last time being a GBA game).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:34 am

Now, I went through the new DLC with a little bit of spoilers from YouTube videos, but I largely stayed away from them. This DLC was an ok way to end the game, but could've been great.

First is the pacing. I hate the way it's paced because I saw some of the side missions early & expected them to be before the end of it. Instead, the end of the main story came & went, then the game told me about the Extra Mode that's in it. The game then had a bunch of extra side missions that didn't matter, then the cool battle with Vegeta. Then there were a few more sub missions. These could've been better organized for better pacing.

For the gameplay, I'm glad they added the ground combat from the 5th DLC, but I don't like how for the air combat, we don't have access to SS God or Blue & that it doesn't use your levels from the main game like the first 2 DLCs for some reason. These were major disappointments to me, especially during the fight with Vegeta.

Overall, mostly positive because I did enjoy what's there, but it could've been better.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:21 am

Outside of missing bonus post content with Uub, it was OK.
The ending played pretty much as in the anime, which is a pitty, as it is the most stripped down version of it.

After few DLCs, I must agree that the RPG content has no real payoff and it’s not very well ballanced eg. Why should I max Goku’s stats and skill tree when there is nobody to fight with outside of the red training spot.
But on the other hand, super fans can enjoy some time with DB or EoZ era Goku.

Kakarot was game that I avoided the most at the height of my personal fatigue with the series and then on my friend’s recommendations and with discount, I went for it.
Great or best interactive option to experience the series as alternative to the long original show, with some things missing, but most complete up to date.
The fighting could be more technically polished, but the simplicity makes it more aproachable and fun in result, compared to more technical and clunky gameplay that might make it unnecesary challenging.
Had mu fun, will occasionally have a bit more.
Kakarot with all DLC 6,5/10. Without some ommited material like in Cell arc and better quests, I’d give it 7.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Having watched the DLC it seems okay but the difference in performance of the Japanese VA is especially noticeable when they recreate scenes ws jnow from the anime. It still sounded okay in FighterZ but it feels like a step below "okay" here.

Regarding the DLC itself I would think they're bound by the story as is but I would have liked to see the tournament itself more fleshed out, or just an option to have random tournaments at the Budokai arena or something. There are interesting things they could have done with EoZ but they apparently didn't or couldn't.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:09 pm

This game is 4 years old and I this is the first time I saw this commercial about a young adult in Japan excited to play the game and remembering his childhood memories during the original broadcast.

Sad that it's quite fitting for today. Thanks a lot, Akira Toriyama.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:50 pm

Apparently Kakarot may not be done yet. I wonder if they'll release another wave of DLC considering all pre-Super Toriyama DB content has been covered already. I guess they could do more OG DB, but I'd bet on movies or GT, or maybe they'll bite the bullet and do Broly and Superhero.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:50 pm Apparently Kakarot may not be done yet. I wonder if they'll release another wave of DLC considering all pre-Super Toriyama DB content has been covered already. I guess they could do more OG DB, but I'd bet on movies or GT, or maybe they'll bite the bullet and do Broly and Superhero.
https://twitter.com/dragonballgames/sta ... 0067561628

It annoys me so much when people say this game can't have Super content because this game is called Dragon Ball Z. (not you Yuji, just twitter replies)

I think DBSHype said the game's 3rd Season Pass is Super based. I'd assume we'll see Universe 6 DLC, Future Trunks DLC and Tournament of Power DLC.

I'm hoping a 4th Season Pass covers GT, GT is underrated.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:04 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 pm
Yuji wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:50 pm Apparently Kakarot may not be done yet. I wonder if they'll release another wave of DLC considering all pre-Super Toriyama DB content has been covered already. I guess they could do more OG DB, but I'd bet on movies or GT, or maybe they'll bite the bullet and do Broly and Superhero.

It annoys me so much when people say this game can't have Super content because this game is called Dragon Ball Z. (not you Yuji, just twitter replies)

I think DBSHype said the game's 3rd Season Pass is Super based. I'd assume we'll see Universe 6 DLC, Future Trunks DLC and Tournament of Power DLC.

Just stop the DLC's and make a kakarot 2 with improved graphics and mechanics. Or if any dlc I would want it to cover all of original DB.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:00 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:04 am
Bardock God of Time wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:16 pm

Just stop the DLC's and make a kakarot 2 with improved graphics and mechanics. Or if any dlc I would want it to cover all of original DB.
I'd love a Kakarot 2 but I just don't think it'll happen.

DLC is the way to go nowadays.

The only game that they could do is Dragon Ball: Goku, a game that focuses just on OG Dragon Ball.

Super DLC seems to be in the cards and I don't think anyone would buy a GT only game. GT DLC on the other hand is more profitable.

Z Movies will probably be DLC. If they do a Garlic Jr DLC they'll probably also adapt the filler arc too.

Broly movies could all be one DLC, CC2 might be the first people to adapt Bio Broly lol

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:00 pm

Saw some people hoping the next DLC to be about GT but that's very unlikely. It will be Super for sure.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:38 pm

I've seen the announcement for the 3rd season pass. As much as some people here would probably love GT DLC, I've said here before that it's not likely to happen because GT is still the least popular series in the franchise. Your best bet is to go to 1 of the other current games for crossover content for the show. Xenoverse 2 has you covered, as does FighterZ. Sparking Zero will more than likely have GT content too.

Now, what could we expect with any future DLCs? 3 possibilities:
1. Super.
The arcs from the Super anime & manga that weren't the last 2 Z movies are ripe for adaptation. Only Xenoverse 2 has really adapted this stuff with story DLCs based on the arcs. I would expect the stuff from the remaining 3 story arcs from the show (the Universe 6 & 7 tournament, the Future Trunks arc, & the Tournament of Power). It's possible they may also adapt Broly & Super Hero in the future as well, but as they only do 3 arcs at a time, I think the first 3 are the most likely if they go the Super route. If they want to, they could also adapt the arcs from the Super manga that haven't gotten animated yet. They could also do Jaco, but that'd require them making LOTS of new assets & character models & I don't expect them to bother when it's a spin-off prequel to all of DB.
2. Original Dragon Ball.
So, they have character models for kid Goku & Piccolo Daimao in the game from the 5th DLC, they can make extra ones for the others for their younger selves from the manga & anime, they have an effective ground combat system that they did a pretty good job with integrating into the 6th DLC with the air combat, & there are 5 major arcs from OG DB (3 if you combine Pilaf with the 21st World Tournament & the Fortuneteller Baba stuff with the King Piccolo stuff). If they do it right, they can adapt the entirety of the rest of OG DB into 3 DLC chapters.
3. The Z movies.
Most of these would be incredibly short because most of them barely have enough story for the runtimes they got as movies. I could see them doing at least Cooler & maybe OG Broly since Cooler got 2 movies & they could put them together in 1 with some sub stories. Broly because 3 movies' worth of content. However, if they wanna adapt Super's take on Broly, which has the better version of him that more fans like, why would they adapt OG Broly? That wouldn't make any sense. Not to mention that it'd get the Vic Mignogna stans mad because they'd have Johnny Yong Bosch play OG Broly & we don't need that. Ever.

What would I want to happen most? OG DB, especially since it's the 40th anniversary of the manga & Toriyama just died. It'd be great to finally have a game that covers all of the manga from beginning to end in a full narrative adaptation & CC2 could definitely do that very well. Not to mention if we could get some more cool rerecording of the older Kikuchi score & everything. That'd be great.

What would I expect them to do? Super. They've already adapted stuff that's in Super & all they'd have to do is make new character models & some new locations. That wouldn't be that hard. To be able to do more story stuff with SS God & SS Blue would also be really cool.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:23 am

For an open world like Kakarot, original Dragonball is the way to go, I think. DBS is mostly fights, like the movies, and even GT.

The 23rd TB DLC got me hooked like never before, exploring the world hits differently, IDK. Running around training and getting ready for the 21st TB, doing Roshi's errands, searching the DBs without being able to fly freely, fighting the RRA in different settings until the final confrontation... this game and that part of the franchise that is full of adventure are made for each other.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:17 pm

They could easily do a large part of the Baby saga and SSJ4 will help them sell it.
Fighting Baby in all his forms could be cool.