Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by tonysoprano300 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:52 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:44 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm TBF: I think the censoring robs some of the fights of their intensity.
Agreed. I honestly found it a bit distracting that Goku Black kept impaling people with not a drop of blood in sight. It makes the fighting feel too...sanitized. Too clean.

It also just looks weird. Like, when people get stabbed, they're supposed to bleed out to some degree. That Goku and Vegeta don't when they get stabbed makes them feel less like people and more like living action figures or something.
Also because people would keep surviving impalement in that arc, I miss when injuries were taken very seriously in the series. Like Goku getting his bones crushed against Vegeta

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:30 pm

I feel like Daima will be like the Kamen Rider Kuuga of DB with both of them being based on beginning concept ideas and released after their creator died.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:56 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am I also don't see why some people need blood and gore to enjoy a Dragon Ball series.
TBF: I think the censoring robs some of the fights of their intensity. Like, I’ve always hated how every recreation of the “Full Nelson!” sacrifice censors Piccolo’s attack going through Goku. And I do think it does take away from Goku’s sacrifice a bit.
That is a different situation. What bothers you is that the scene has more gore originally, they just choose to remove it.

Most of Super's fights are not conceived with blood drops or gore. That is the point. The Story never attempts to present those fights as particularly gory or brutal. Ultimately the Story simply chose a less-brutal direction for most of the fights.
kemuri07 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm TBF: I think the censoring robs some of the fights of their intensity.
Agreed. I honestly found it a bit distracting that Goku Black kept impaling people with not a drop of blood in sight. It makes the fighting feel too...sanitized. Too clean.

It also just looks weird. Like, when people get stabbed, they're supposed to bleed out to some degree. That Goku and Vegeta don't when they get stabbed makes them feel less like people and more like living action figures or something.
This is wrong. We do have drops of blood being shown when Black impales Vegeta and Trunks individually:

tonysoprano300 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:52 pm Also because people would keep surviving impalement in that arc, I miss when injuries were taken very seriously in the series. Like Goku getting his bones crushed against Vegeta
Injuries are taken seriously though. Some notable examples from the Zamasu arc:

- In episode 56, when Black stabs Vegeta (pictured above), Vegeta is taken out for the remainder of the fight.

- In episode 57, when Black oneshots Trunks and Goku with Rosé Kamehameha, they are taken out of the fight and need to escape to the past with the help of Yajirobe and Mai (giving focus to side characters; another plus of Super).

- In episode 65, when Fused Zamasu oneshots Vegeta while aiming for Trunks, Vegeta is taken out for the remainder of the fight.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:02 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:56 pm This is wrong. We do have drops of blood being shown when Black impales Vegeta and Trunks individually:
Only one of those four images has any blood you don't have to squint to see, and the blood in the Trunks picture is so faint that it barely even looks like blood (it looks more like he's coughing up mud).

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:10 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:23 am
Majin Buu wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:54 pm This is just speculation, but in light of recent events, I wonder if Daima is the way it is because Toriyama went into it knowing it would likely be the final Dragon Ball thing he worked on. Daima heavily drawing from the Buu arc, the final arc of the manga, based on what we've seen thus far would make a lot of sense if so.

Though it's just as possible that Daima is using the Buu arc as a basis simply because the last big Toriyama written thing drew heavily from the Cell arc and it coinciding with his death was a complete coincidence.
Ngl, I've had a similar thought. Come to think of it... after Broly seemed to tie into the Saiyan and Frieza arcs, and Super Hero more-or-less tied into the Red Ribbon Androids arc, I suppose it would only be fair that SOME sort of modern-day major DB content would end up tying into the Majin Buu arc.

Except it's more of a Disney trilogy "rhyme" than a prequel "rhyme." lol

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:56 am

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:02 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:56 pm This is wrong. We do have drops of blood being shown when Black impales Vegeta and Trunks individually:
Only one of those four images has any blood you don't have to squint to see, and the blood in the Trunks picture is so faint that it barely even looks like blood (it looks more like he's coughing up mud).
Yeah this is just moving goalposts.

You said "Goku Black kept impaling people with not a drop of blood in sight". That is what you said. You are wrong.

There are already enough problems to criticize about Super (as with any series, by the way, not just Super) without inventing non-existent ones.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:01 am

tonysoprano300 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:52 pm Also because people would keep surviving impalement in that arc, I miss when injuries were taken very seriously in the series. Like Goku getting his bones crushed against Vegeta
To be fair, people surviving impalement has already happened in Cell arc. I've remember Yancha survived Dr. Gero impaling his chest with an arm.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:56 am Yeah this is just moving goalposts.

You said "Goku Black kept impaling people with not a drop of blood in sight". That is what you said. You are wrong.

There are already enough problems to criticize about Super (as with any series, by the way, not just Super) without inventing non-existent ones.
Pointing out that I wasn't literally correct on that is just you being pedantic and ignoring the overall point I was making.

The fact that 3 of the 4 of the images you provided barely have any blood in them doesn't exactly refute the argument that the violence is too sanitized.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:45 am

Konja7 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:01 am
To be fair, people surviving impalement has already happened in Cell arc. I've remember Yancha survived Dr. Gero impaling his chest with an arm.
Yeah, because he was given a senzu not because getting impaled by Android 20 was but a minor bloodless booboo

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:39 am

Majin Buu wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:56 am Yeah this is just moving goalposts.

Pointing out that I wasn't literally correct on that is just you being pedantic and ignoring the overall point I was making.

The fact that 3 of the 4 of the images you provided barely have any blood in them doesn't exactly refute the argument that the violence is too sanitized.
Super simply chose to take its fights into a different direction. DBZ wanted gory and bloody fights, Super wanted less gory but more flashy and colourful fights.

I'm actually happy that DBS doesn't just copy-paste what DBZ did. I have already seen enough gory fights in DBZ. I don't need to see a retread of Frieza slowly torturing Krillin or Spopovich slowly torturing Videl. I can do without.

Ultimately, it is not a flaw, it's a different philosophy and approach to fights, one that is equally valid as DBZ.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:45 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:39 am
Majin Buu wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:13 am

Super simply chose to take its fights into a different direction. DBZ wanted gory and bloody fights, Super wanted less gory but more flashy and colourful fights.

I'm actually happy that DBS doesn't just copy-paste what DBZ did. I have already seen enough gory fights in DBZ. I don't need to see a retread of Frieza slowly torturing Krillin or Spopovich slowly torturing Videl. I can do without.

Ultimately, it is not a flaw, it's a different philosophy and approach to fights, one that is equally valid as DBZ.
But it's not a different approach. There is no artistic reason for the lack of blood it's the way it is because Toei wants to make it easy on it's international licensees to get the show broadcasted worldwide

Like, anyone who grew up with American/Canadian made action cartoons should be used to conspicuously blood free violence so I'm personally whatever about it. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking it was done for any creative reason. It's a profit decision, not an artistic one

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:46 am

Konja7 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:01 am
IIRC, Yamcha was on the brink of death until he got a senzu

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:51 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:56 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:18 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am I also don't see why some people need blood and gore to enjoy a Dragon Ball series.
TBF: I think the censoring robs some of the fights of their intensity. Like, I’ve always hated how every recreation of the “Full Nelson!” sacrifice censors Piccolo’s attack going through Goku. And I do think it does take away from Goku’s sacrifice a bit.
That is a different situation. What bothers you is that the scene has more gore originally, they just choose to remove it.

Most of Super's fights are not conceived with blood drops or gore. That is the point. The Story never attempts to present those fights as particularly gory or brutal. Ultimately the Story simply chose a less-brutal direction for most of the fights.

This is wrong. We do have drops of blood being shown when Black impales Vegeta and Trunks individually:

Injuries are taken seriously though. Some notable examples from the Zamasu arc:

- In episode 56, when Black stabs Vegeta (pictured above), Vegeta is taken out for the remainder of the fight.

- In episode 57, when Black oneshots Trunks and Goku with Rosé Kamehameha, they are taken out of the fight and need to escape to the past with the help of Yajirobe and Mai (giving focus to side characters; another plus of Super).

- In episode 65, when Fused Zamasu oneshots Vegeta while aiming for Trunks, Vegeta is taken out for the remainder of the fight.
I don’t get the same sense pf impending death that injuries used to have, in all of those examples the injuries matter in so much that they are out of the fight but something like a spear through the chest in original DB would put you on deaths door. Same with Gokus death in the saiyan saga. I feel like the manga did a better job, at least when Gokus was punctured by Moro

Or hell, even Goku getting shot through the chest in ROF felt more serious

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:28 pm

Modern shows like X-Men 97' has fights with blood. I don't see why Daima couldn't take a different approach from Super, having more fights depicting blood.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Noah wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:28 pm Modern shows like X-Men 97' has fights with blood. I don't see why Daima couldn't take a different approach from Super, having more fights depicting blood.
Because it will air at 9 AM sundays on a Japanese TV channel that has stricter rules about what can be shown on TV these days than it had 30 years ago.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Noah wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:28 pm Modern shows like X-Men 97' has fights with blood. I don't see why Daima couldn't take a different approach from Super, having more fights depicting blood.
X-Men '97 is made for 40 year olds like me. Daima isn't.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm
Because it will air at 9 AM sundays on a Japanese TV channel that has stricter rules about what can be shown on TV these days than it had 30 years ago.
I mean, also, Toei has some of their shows animated with less blood in them so overseas networks for kids will be more inclined to broadcast them because they won't have to censor them visually as much, if at all, to make the material suitable to their main demographics.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm

9:00 We cant show blood in Dragon Ball, think of the kids...
9:30 FUCK THEM KIDS, ONE PIECE IS ON, EVERYONE IS BLEEDING!!!

I don't expect for them to show a character dying on his own blood like they did in OP, but, a few scratches here and there and a little blood coming of the side of the mouth would be nice, something to show that they are living breathing creatures and not just action figures animated.

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:35 am

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm

I don't expect for them to show a character dying on his own blood like they did in OP, but, a few scratches here and there and a little blood coming of the side of the mouth would be nice, something to show that they are living breathing creatures and not just action figures animated.
The schedule and the Japanese audience has nothing to do with the reduction of violence, current Dragon Ball is made specifically thinking that it will be marketed globally... They are avoiding local censorship in each country.

PS: What is the obsession with blood? I've been a DB fan since the mid-90s and I don't feel that bleeding characters really represents the franchise, it's not Saint Seiya.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:50 am

Gashaponista wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:35 am
YamiGoku wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:53 pm

The schedule and the Japanese audience has nothing to do with the reduction of violence, current Dragon Ball is made specifically thinking that it will be marketed globally... They are avoiding local censorship in each country.

PS: What is the obsession with blood? I've been a DB fan since the mid-90s and I don't feel that bleeding characters really represents the franchise, it's not Saint Seiya.
I already said why I think it's important to have blood. It is more emotionally impactful, and more credible. It's not like I have an obsession with it but it's just stupid and I don't feel as much without. That's it.