What's the video source for DBZ on BD from CR in Germany? Anyone has screen captures of SV and DBZ 30A BD releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

What's the video source for DBZ on BD from CR in Germany? Anyone has screen captures of SV and DBZ 30A BD releases?

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:56 am

Hey. Do you know or can you find out what the video quality of this release is?
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Daisuke-Nish ... 113&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Daisuke-Nish ... 136&sr=8-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNXalWZCe8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG-w0Sq ... 1jTY5sn_IS

Screen captures (unfortunately I only found them in a video on youtube):
https://youtu.be/YG-w0SqA104?t=417

https://youtu.be/YG-w0SqA104?t=429

https://youtu.be/YG-w0SqA104?t=443

https://youtu.be/YG-w0SqA104?t=471

Video (seems to be recorded with camera onto a screen):
https://youtu.be/YG-w0SqA104?t=541

I am not impressed by what I could see in that one youtube video. It looks like it could be DBZ 30A release from FUNimation or Selecta Vision's upscale. But could it be something else?

Edit:
I found screen captures of the SV release in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=46712&hilit=selecta+vision+dbz
They look very much alike as the German BDs.
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:03 am Friend send me this, looks like it's similar to their Dragon Ball release
http://www.mubis.es/noticias/capturas-d ... en-blu-ray

Packing should be real nice tho

All uncompressed caps
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by sangofe on Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

CodeOfMe

Re: What's the video source for DBZ on BD from Kazé in Germany? Anyone has screen captures of SV and DBZ 30A BD releases

Post by CodeOfMe » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:15 pm

I'm fairly certain it isn't 30A footage, since there's no fake grain over the footage from what I can see, also it doesn't look like it. I'm not too familiar with the Selecta Vision upscale, so it could just be that, but even if it's a new upscale entirely, it doesn't look particularly worthwhile.
Go over time and space...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What's the video source for DBZ on BD from Kazé in Germany? Anyone has screen captures of SV and DBZ 30A BD releases

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:49 pm

CodeOfMe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:15 pm I'm fairly certain it isn't 30A footage, since there's no fake grain over the footage from what I can see, also it doesn't look like it. I'm not too familiar with the Selecta Vision upscale, so it could just be that, but even if it's a new upscale entirely, it doesn't look particularly worthwhile.
Interesting observation about no fake grain. I'm very curious what this is.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 pm

Germany got Dragon Box masters for their DVDs right? Probably Kazé's own upscale of those or imported pre-upsxaled video tracks from Selecta Vision.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Rhadon

Post by Rhadon » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:14 pm

i own it, i also own the 30th anniversary but just the first season and dragon box dvds.

i think its the selecta vision blurays, it looks far better than the 30th anniversary discs. faaaar better.

We wont get a better release and i never thought the day would come. but this is legit awesome uncut, german dub and 4:3. :) imo its also much better than the dragon box which looks absolutely terrible on my oled 55 inch tv. I'm pretty happy with it. broadcast audio for music and it would be perfect imo.

Rhadon

Post by Rhadon » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:26 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 pm Germany got Dragon Box masters for their DVDs right? Probably Kazé's own upscale of those or imported pre-upsxaled video tracks from Selecta Vision.
germany got france version like most of europe. kaze is dead, its crunchyroll which is good since kaze was absolutely terrible.

this blurays are the japanese dragon boxes upscaled with AI.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:07 am

Rhadon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:14 pm i own it, i also own the 30th anniversary but just the first season and dragon box dvds.

i think its the selecta vision blurays, it looks far better than the 30th anniversary discs. faaaar better.

We wont get a better release and i never thought the day would come. but this is legit awesome uncut, german dub and 4:3. :) imo its also much better than the dragon box which looks absolutely terrible on my oled 55 inch tv. I'm pretty happy with it. broadcast audio for music and it would be perfect imo.
How's the Japanese audio? Same as Dragon Boxes? How's it during action? The German dub was always censored, what did they do with the censored bits?
Rhadon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:26 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 pm Germany got Dragon Box masters for their DVDs right? Probably Kazé's own upscale of those or imported pre-upsxaled video tracks from Selecta Vision.
germany got france version like most of europe. kaze is dead, its crunchyroll which is good since kaze was absolutely terrible.

this blurays are the japanese dragon boxes upscaled with AI.
Sorry, I forgot Kazé was swallowed by Viz and that CR took over right. I should have seen it on the cover, too. Makes me wonder if the upscale is the same as SV. It's also weird that CR, who took over FUNimation wouldn't be using the 30A BD set that FUNimation released that I believe CR releases in the United States...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:55 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:07 amIt's also weird that CR, who took over FUNimation wouldn't be using the 30A BD set that FUNimation released that I believe CR releases in the United States...
Not anymore, it appears Funimation wanted to keep the 30th anniversary discs limited edition exclusives in the US. They rereleased them on the steelbooks, but the 3-in-1 Walmart Blu-Rays reverted back to using the 2013/14 discs.

Only standard release of the 30th anniversary discs I'm aware of is the Manga UK Blu-Rays, which we have Ajay to thank for because the only other option TOEI gave them was the cropped Blu-Rays, which he advised against.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:26 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:55 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:07 amIt's also weird that CR, who took over FUNimation wouldn't be using the 30A BD set that FUNimation released that I believe CR releases in the United States...
Not anymore, it appears Funimation wanted to keep the 30th anniversary discs limited edition exclusives in the US. They rereleased them on the steelbooks, but the 3-in-1 Walmart Blu-Rays reverted back to using the 2013/14 discs.

Only standard release of the 30th anniversary discs I'm aware of is the Manga UK Blu-Rays, which we have Ajay to thank for because the only other option TOEI gave them was the cropped Blu-Rays, which he advised against.
I am not sure it's a good thing. The 30th anniversary discs apparantly look worse than SV's upscale? Granted, I haven't compared myself.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:47 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:26 am I am not sure it's a good thing. The 30th anniversary discs apparantly look worse than SV's upscale? Granted, I haven't compared myself.
Maybe not, but if what Ajay said is true and Manga UK could only release the 2013/14 or 30th anniversary Blu-Rays they picked the lesser of two evils. Their release is also A/B so basically all English-speaking fans have an option if they only want Dragon Ball Z in 4:3.

They also look nice on a shelf:

And yes, I've heard Selecta Vision is better, but for fans that don't know Spanish and want an English dub their release probably isn't ideal.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:47 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:26 am I am not sure it's a good thing. The 30th anniversary discs apparantly look worse than SV's upscale? Granted, I haven't compared myself.
Maybe not, but if what Ajay said is true and Manga UK could only release the 2013/14 or 30th anniversary Blu-Rays they picked the lesser of two evils. Their release is also A/B so basically all English-speaking fans have an option if they only want Dragon Ball Z in 4:3.

And yes, I've heard Selecta Vision is better, but for fans that don't know Spanish and want an English dub their release probably isn't ideal.
selecta : good things = no fake grain, dbox master without the dvd compression. bad things : everything else, the AI algorithm create randomly wrong details.
30th set : good things = colors that are closer than dbox ones. bad things = HD scan raped by abusive DNR and amateur fake grain on top,

so either are just trashed, the "best" stay dbox with all their flaws cause they haven't been altered from the source

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:00 am

Joujou wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:47 am

selecta : good things = no fake grain, dbox master without the dvd compression. bad things : everything else, the AI algorithm create randomly wrong details.
30th set : good things = colors that are closer than dbox ones. bad things = HD scan raped by abusive DNR and amateur fake grain on top,

so either are just trashed, the "best" stay dbox with all their flaws cause they haven't been altered from the source
Is there that much fake grain on the 30th anniversary sets? And how do the different releases look during action scenes?

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:56 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:00 am
Is there that much fake grain on the 30th anniversary sets? And how do the different releases look during action scenes?
not much but adding fake grain the way they did just fucked more than adding details, it fuck clouds etc
german version use selecta version for sure, colors are the same and they seems to look identical
about action scenes, it's not the main issue
selecta use AI that will guess wrong details, DNR plus AI sharpening just look weird even if better than the 30th set
30th set have fake grain so require more bitrates in action scenes, the DNR + fake grain just fuck everything, even if you dnr the result, you'll get more details gone and you'll not be able to "repair" damaged made by the fake grain
so none are worthy, just keep dbox that is the closest you can get from something worthy even with it's flaws (also why SOM team never used other sourced for their restoration work)
AI upscale aren't close to be something really perfect , astrores used for AB db box isn't perfect either, you have AI artifact, wrong guess too even if it look globaly really close to how it would look if Toei scanned db into HD properly

i've never seen better AI than Astrores models yet, selecta use something like Topaz that is really, really bad globally, as much it can do sometimes something "a little decent", most of the time it's just awful a little like all AI upscale you can see around in the Web that have serious flaws
you need to have a balance in the result, footage should have a balance between lines and overall details, 99% of what i've seen is just a lot of sharpening for a few overall details, selecta vision is an example : lines are too far sharp compared to the overall details
the result is just something not balanced at all
30th set is more balanced as the DNR also fuck off lines details and i'm not even talking about the out of focus episodes less detailed than a betacam