The end of "Akira Toriyama canon"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: The end of "Akira Toriyama canon"

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:34 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:24 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:59 amThe franchise was already being milked in the 1990s with the yearly Toei movies which are a just reskin of "Goku fights strong guy, Goku gets mad and activates transformation, Goku kills strong guy".
True, 13 movies within the run time of the Z series (as well as certain other areas) is unquestionably milking. It reached the point where there was more focus on said movies than the series proper itself for certain stretches.
It's like, the moment "Z" got attached to the anime rebrand, it was their ticket to making an avalanche of side content like never before.
Yes. We had new movies on a yearly basis during the Original run (1985-94).

Meanwhile, we've only had two movies during the run of Super, Broly in 2018 and Super Hero in 2022.

17 movies in 10 years vs. 2 movies in 6 years.

Toei is milking Dragon Ball through Super... and yet, Toei has only made 2 movies in 6 years? Something doesn't add up.

Also, the Dragon Ball Super series was supposedly milking the brand... yet it only had 131 episodes. And if we are being technical, the first two arcs were just retelling the movies, so they really don't count.

So, actually, the Dragon Ball Super series only had 103 original episodes. For a series that is supposedly milking the franchise, wouldn't it have way more episodes? Boruto has 300 episodes despite not being nearly as popular as Super was.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:39 am

I don't see how they're comparable, though.

The old movies contemporary with serialization were 45-50 minute side-story features intended for airing exclusively in Japan as part of double- and triple-features at the Toei Anime Fair events, with later home video releases.

The modern movies are all 90ish minute features created with international distribution and marketing pushes all from the start meant to act as tentpole productions either reinvigorating or continuing an actual ongoing story.

How exactly does that not "add up"...? It's incredibly misleading to say they're even remotely on the same level. Like I honestly don't even see how this conversation is happening right now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:19 pm

I mean I'm ok with milking the series if its giving us good/meaningful content, I just don’t watch stuff like ROF or the Goku Black saga and feel like I need to see more of it….but at the same token stuff like BOG did feel like a good way to revive the series. So at the end of the day its always gonna be about the quality although I do recognize that DB should probably end at some point or at the very least Gokus story should end at some point(And it seems Toriyama was interested in doing that towards the end of the original run)

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:04 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:59 am I'm not judging you for criticizing Super, I criticize the Manga all the time, but I do say that it is pointless to complain about Super milking the franchise. The franchise was already being milked in the 1990s with the yearly Toei movies which are a just reskin of "Goku fights strong guy, Goku gets mad and activates transformation, Goku kills strong guy".
If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a great opinion of the Z movies either.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:59 am And when I talk about "Nostalgia", I am not saying that ALL the criticism for Super narrows down to nostalgia, but I know that there is nostalgia involved, because I have seen all the criticism that was levied against the Cell and Buu saga in the past, and most of that criticism is now applied exclusively to Super.

Stuff like "the protagonists being dumb", that was used in the past to criticize the Cell saga and Buu saga, now it is used exclusively to criticize Goku forgetting the Mafuba seal against Zamasu.

Stuff like "the asspulls and retcons", that was used in the past to criticize the Cell saga and Buu saga, now it is used exclusively to criticize Caulifla for getting Super Saiyan so easily (we'll just ignore Goten and Trunks).

In other words, both DBZ and GT got a popularity boost with the release of Super, because there is a form of recency bias that makes people latch onto the latest product for criticism.
I don't know who they were, but they're not me.
I've been criticizing that shit even before I got to Super.

I will definitely agree with you on the point that fans seem extremely partial to Dragon Ball Z because they grew up with it.
Using GT as an example here, you can't tell the amount of times I have heard the argument that the first 16 episodes suck because, and I quote, "The heroes don't seem to care about their situation. If the characters themselves don't care, then why should I?"

And my natural reaction to that is basically, "Oh, I would love to hear your opinion about the Cell arc."
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:59 am Simple, Super is much closer to the whimsical nature of Dragon Ball than the Cell saga.
The Cell saga has pretty much none of the fun and light-hearted stuff that distinguish Dragon Ball, it's overly edgy and serious.
Meanwhile, Super is MUCH closer to the roots of Dragon Ball in terms of being a whimsical show where fighters just want to have a fun brawl and show-off their martial skills.
There was never a moment in the original Dragon Ball where genocide was threatened and everyone acted so casual about it.
The first time it happened (King Piccolo), everybody started acting serious and made plans to stop it.
And even if the original DB never existed and Super was all there was, a concept as bleak as existential erasure is very much not "whimsical and fun." Your mileage might vary, but I very much didn't have fun with that.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:59 am The fighters do care that the Universes get erased, that is why they are constantly being pushed to higher heights of power, to overcome their opponents. The stakes are that high. The difference is that they simply don't wallow in their misery and are not overly edgy and sentimental like the Cell saga.
They do? Because the writers sure didn't convince me on that. The thought of using the Dragon Balls to resurrect everyone didn't even occur to any of them up until the very last moment, because before of that:

#17: "If you won, what would you wish for?"
Goku: "Eh, I don't want anything, really. How about we wish for a boat? :D"

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:42 pm

Like a few others have also stated, I would've been fine if we had never gotten this Dragon Ball revival and the franchise had stayed "ended" at DBGT. I have never been a fan of Dragon Ball Super in any capacity. The theatrical movies were decent on their own but for me, that was it. The series 'Dragon Ball Super' is something that I wish didn't exist and I would gladly remove the movies too to do that. I'm perfectly happy if no new content is ever made (although I know that obviously more content will be happening)

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 am

It's quite remarkable that the disdain for Super, to the extent of questioning its existence, is primarily found within the hardcore fanbase. If we broaden the sample and look at scores from a wider audience or renowned analysts, Super certainly doesn't receive a bad average score:

- IMDb: 8.3/10 · 35,699 votes (DB and DBZ respectively receive scores of 8.5 and 8.8)
- MyAnimeList: 7.4/10 · 533,324 votes (DB and DBZ respectively receive scores of 8 and 8.2)
- IGN: 7/10
- Review Chris Suckmann: B+

There's also a noticeable difference in perceived quality compared to the original animated content, but not to the extent sometimes claimed by some. The explanation for this is certainly that Super differs greatly in overall style/tone-of-voice from DB/DBZ. It's a bit like Dragon Ball with a Nickelodeon-style twist, made for a broader (including younger) audience. I suggest that some longtime fans might have an issue with that style and approach, and that's okay. It's also true that authenticity has been criticized, such as the policy of not showing blood (which is quite un-Shounen), in order to market it as widely as possible. It's reasonable to object to such things. And of course we all know its animation suffered at times from production schedule-issues, although the animation in the second half was generally decent to outstanding (some episodes).

No one has to like Super. But to explain that it is so bad based on that subjective preference alone that it has no right to exist, is stretching it a bit too far in my opinion. Especially when you compare it to a broader audience of viewers and analysts.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:06 am

What I find very interesting is the people who don't want Super to exist (a very selfish position), but are simultaneously fine with GT existing.

How is it even possible? How is it possible to hate Super with such passion, but don't hate GT in the same way?

It's not like GT's writing, art/animation, or fighting coreography is anything to write home about... One "benefit" GT has compared to Super is the 1990s Childhood/Nostalgia, though. :wink:

But Yeah, Super in the wider fandom is hugely popular. I don't think people here remember or realize that the final episodes of the ToP arc were live-streamed to huge crowds in city squares.

Super was a popular phenomenon of the 2010s.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:06 am What I find very interesting is the people who don't want Super to exist (a very selfish position), but are simultaneously fine with GT existing.

How is it even possible? How is it possible to hate Super with such passion, but don't hate GT in the same way?

It's not like GT's writing, art/animation, or fighting coreography is anything to write home about... One "benefit" GT has compared to Super is the 1990s Childhood/Nostalgia, though. :wink:
I can answer that one for you:
I like GT, I don't like Super. There, hope that answers it. (shrugs)

Though in my case, I'm not trying to invalidate Super's existence, or validate GT over it.

I don't need others to validate GT's existence for me, because it's already real. It was written, it was animated, it was dubbed, and it was broadcast on international TV. All of it's 64 episodes and 1 special are things anybody can stumble upon and watch out of curiosity. No amount of "GT is not canon!" can change that. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed it. That makes it more than valid for me.

To be honest, "I don't like this, so it shouldn't exist!" is a dumb argument. Nothing we say whatsoever is going to magically wipe that thing out of existence along with our memories and feelings of it, so why bother? You shouldn't be letting random people on the Internet tell you how much you can enjoy your favorite show.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 pm

Dragon Ball canon stop existing when his own creator started recton events from his own manga, with DB Minus being the biggest offender.

I think there was more good than bad from Toriyama's involvement in modern Dragon Ball and I'm grateful than he came back, but it always felt like Toei wanted to tell more ambitious stories and were held back by him.

Sometimes I even started wondering if Dragon Ball would have been as good as it was without Toriyama's editors to keep him in check.

I don't trust Toei or Toyotaro on their own, but I'm curious to see what stories they can create working together.

We don't only new blood in the animation departament, but in the writting departament too.

I don't care about retcons anymore, thanks to Toriyama making me immune to them. And also Marvel/DC comics, where different writers have the chance to tell their own stories. I think staff having that freedom is fun. And fun is what I want Dragon Ball to keep being.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:43 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 pm Dragon Ball canon stop existing when his own creator started recton events in his own manga with modern Dragon Ball, with DB Minus being the biggest offender.

I think there was more good than bad from Toriyama's involvement in modern Dragon Ball and I'm grateful than he came back, but it always felt like Toei wanted to tell more ambitious stories and were held back by him.

Sometimes I even started wondering if Dragon Ball would actually be as good as it was without Toriyama's editors to keep him in check.

I don't trust Toei or Toyotaro on their own, but I'm curious to see what stories they can create working together.
We don't only new blood in the animation departament, but in the writting departament too.
Technically DB minus didn’t contradict Toriyamas manga, it contradicts the Bardock special which wasn’t written by Toriyama himself. Of course everyone believed that it was canon for the longest time(myself included). I really wish he didnt do that, Gokus origin story was great the way it was and I have met very few DB fans who actually like Minus.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

tonysoprano300 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:43 pm Technically DB minus didn’t contradict Toriyamas manga, it contradicts the Bardock special which wasn’t written by Toriyama himself. Of course everyone believed that it was canon for the longest time(myself included). I really wish he didnt do that, Gokus origin story was great the way it was and I have met very few DB fans who actually like Minus.
It also contradicts Goku being sent as a baby and because he was a low class. Nobody cared about him.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:30 pm Dragon Ball canon stop existing when his own creator started recton events in his own manga, with DB Minus being the biggest offender.

If the interviews are to be believed, I seriously doubt that.
I don't really feel any bit of artistic integrity from those stories when I read things like, "We should put Future Trunks or Broly back in the franchise, because they're so popular and would definitely sell well!"

In Future Trunks' case, we got a story that overrid the happy ending his timeline received in Z and immediately reset the Status Quo for Super. I'm no Toriyama fanboy, but Toei doesn't seem like a great example to be followed either.

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm
tonysoprano300 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:43 pm Technically DB minus didn’t contradict Toriyamas manga, it contradicts the Bardock special which wasn’t written by Toriyama himself. Of course everyone believed that it was canon for the longest time(myself included). I really wish he didnt do that, Gokus origin story was great the way it was and I have met very few DB fans who actually like Minus.
It also contradicts Goku being sent as a baby and because he was a low class. Nobody cared about him.
Its makes radditz out to be a guy who doesn’t know jack shit about anything lol

Which can be considered a retcon I suppose

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 pm

I would say that the difference with American comics is that they aren’t very serialized stories in the way that DB is, you do have multiple different continuities that explore the characters in different ways but its often not part of a continuous story line like DB is.

I'm not entirely sure how that would work for DB, would they have a separate continuity that depicts the events in a completely different way?

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

tonysoprano300 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 pm I would say that the difference with American comics is that they aren’t very serialized stories in the way that DB is, you do have multiple different continuities that explore the characters in different ways but its often not part of a continuous story line like DB is.

I'm not entirely sure how that would work for DB, would they have a separate continuity that depicts the events in a completely different way?
I always took that every single entry separate from the original manga should be treated as a separate continuity.
That includes the revival movies, specials like DB minus and both Super manga and anime.

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm
tonysoprano300 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 pm I would say that the difference with American comics is that they aren’t very serialized stories in the way that DB is, you do have multiple different continuities that explore the characters in different ways but its often not part of a continuous story line like DB is.

I always took that every single entry separate from the original manga should be treated as a separate continuity.
I kind of do too but the broad strokes are still largely identical, they’ll usually add stuff or maybe show the same event in a different way. Something like DC comics on the other hand can have like 2 entirely different interpretations of Batman and his exploits.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:29 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:06 am What I find very interesting is the people who don't want Super to exist (a very selfish position), but are simultaneously fine with GT existing.

I can answer that one for you:
I like GT, I don't like Super. There, hope that answers it. (shrugs)

Though in my case, I'm not trying to invalidate Super's existence, or validate GT over it.

I don't need others to validate GT's existence for me, because it's already real. It was written, it was animated, it was dubbed, and it was broadcast on international TV. All of it's 64 episodes and 1 special are things anybody can stumble upon and watch out of curiosity. No amount of "GT is not canon!" can change that. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed it. That makes it more than valid for me.

To be honest, "I don't like this, so it shouldn't exist!" is a dumb argument. Nothing we say whatsoever is going to magically wipe that thing out of existence along with our memories and feelings of it, so why bother? You shouldn't be letting random people on the Internet tell you how much you can enjoy your favorite show.
I prefer Dragon Ball GT over DBS also. When it comes to writing and art style, I prefer that over DBS any day. In GT they were not afraid to show blood.
Every character were allowed to fight in GT, if they were stopped it was for good reason. Goku asking Goten and Trunks to not fuse and instead give their ki to SSJ4 Goku was a good idea. Goku knew his full power SSJ4 >>> SSJ3 Gotenks.

There was character development in GT, we see Pan matured when she arrives on earth. She was very mature in the Shadow Dragon Saga.

GT Goku wasn't perfect, however he was still mature. He knew when to take things seriously.

Was there some bad writing? The answer is yes. Why was KibitoKai afraid of Dende and Mr Popo, when they are weak. Why didn't Majoob use Boo ability to heal ever.

DBS Goku problem isn't that he does dumb things, the problem is he does way too many dumb things. He says too many dumb things also. Things that Goku knew in the past, he magically forgot or doesn't know.
In Goku Black Saga Goku forgot the Senzu Bean, Urn and Talisman, that is 3 things he forgot. Then the idea of using senzu bean for immortality.
Then the entire episode of Monaka in a costume, that entire episode was Goku being dumb.

Toei problem with DBS is they go too far, they do it so much that it stops being funny.