Dragon Ball influences in Western products

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball influences in Western products

Post by ATA » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:31 am

Miles Morales has quite a few DB references in his character’s history.

May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:53 am

Steven Universe
- When the gems does fusion.
- In the episode that Steven tells a story about Garnet, someone has a device that reads power level and Garnet has over 9,000. Then she removed her hair armour which increase her powers.
- In the episode Steven sees a doctor, there is a reference of Android 20 Dr Gero.

Those are the ones I remember.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:11 am

We can't forget the MAD parody called go dragon ball go!
Basically a dragon ball crossover with Go Diageo Go
With OG and Z references.

And the fairly oddparents channel chasers with the final fight being a reference to goku vs king piccolo and goku vs piccolo jr.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 pm

ATA wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:31 am Miles Morales has quite a few DB references in his character’s history.

I think a pic got lost here or we are now considering punching and kicking as concepts unique to Dragon Ball now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:40 pm

I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 pm I think a pic got lost here or we are now considering punching and kicking as concepts unique to Dragon Ball now.
It's probably the "18 breaks Vegeta's arm with a kick" moment that's being referred to.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:52 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:42 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 pm I think a pic got lost here or we are now considering punching and kicking as concepts unique to Dragon Ball now.
It's probably the "18 breaks Vegeta's arm with a kick" moment that's being referred to.
So female characters breaking other people's arms is a concept unique to Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:55 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:52 pm
So female characters breaking other people's arms is a concept unique to Dragon Ball.
That's literally the exact same scene just with different characters, dude. It's a clear reference.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 pm

Adamant wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:55 pm

That's literally the exact same scene just with different characters, dude. It's a clear reference.
Oh ok, I would have loved a visual refence to the Dragon Ball scene to know that. The post does NOT make this very clear AT ALL.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 pm

Oh ok, I would have loved a visual refence to the Dragon Ball scene to know that. The post does NOT make this very clear AT ALL.
I mean I'm not him, but I assume he just took it for granted people remembered what this rather iconic scene looked like.

Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:37 pm

I know it happened but never really remembered the precise visuals.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:42 pm

I'm shock that no one mention the South Park movie yet when Cartman battles against Saddam Hussein.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm

18 breaking Vegeta's arm is one of the most known scenes in the franchise. Considering how both characters are literally in the same pose as 18 and Vegeta I didn't know it had to be explained. Also Miles Morales current run has an anime reference in almost every chapter/issue if you wanna check it out.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:34 pm

ATA wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm

18 breaking Vegeta's arm is one of the most known scenes in the franchise. Considering how both characters are literally in the same pose as 18 and Vegeta I didn't know it had to be explained. Also Miles Morales current run has an anime reference in almost every chapter/issue if you wanna check it out.
It's because Dragon Ball is an old series that has Over 400 episodes, even if people know what happened, unless its an EXTREMELY iconic scene you wont really have people know the visuals by heart.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:21 pm

Personally I'd say it's up there with the likes of Future Trunks splitting Freeza clean in half back in episode 120.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:23 pm

You mentioning that makes me want to see how The CW handled the broken arm. I think ironically there wouldnt be much fuss, no blood, no problem.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:34 pm

It's because Dragon Ball is an old series that has Over 400 episodes, even if people know what happened, unless its an EXTREMELY iconic scene you wont really have people know the visuals by heart.
Vegeta getting his arm broken by 18 is her ultimate in damn near every Dragon Ball game. The moment where Super Saiyan stopped being the peak of strength. It is a very iconic and well known scene. If you didn't recognize it then I don't know what to say. I feel like even casual fans could recognize it

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 pm

ATA wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:59 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:34 pm

Vegeta getting his arm broken by 18 is her ultimate in damn near every Dragon Ball game. The moment where Super Saiyan stopped being the peak of strength. It is a very iconic and well known scene. If you didn't recognize it then I don't know what to say. I feel like even casual fans could recognize it
I dont play Dragon Ball games, and I am getting I understimated how iconic the scene is, but I do not appreciate getting dogpiled, I got it already.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:18 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 pm I dont play Dragon Ball games, and I am getting I understimated how iconic the scene is, but I do not appreciate getting dogpiled, I got it already.
To be fair, it's still the same user that posted the Miles Morales comic photos in the first place (under the assumption that the reference would be clear to all who saw it, particularly on a site like this one). Might not have taken it well with being questioned the first time is all.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:04 pm

Yeah, I was too hard on them, I would have loved it if it had a comparison pic to Dragon Ball and joined in the gushing.

Also I saw it in the Anime and boy it WAS great. It really was a stand out.