Losing interest in DB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Losing interest in Dragon Ball

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:20 am
Xeogran wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 am ...Which then means there is nothing to discuss about, besides sparring matches between the Z-Fighters and ranking them proper.
There's plenty to talk about aside from current in-universe stuff. Conversations about whose stronger than who inevitably become tiresome because we can only make educated guesses on these things.

For anyone that explores the behind-the-scenes stuff like various international dubs, broadcasts, even Cure Dragon 255's recent thread about favourite animators was good. Maybe favourite writers, either for the Japanese version or in the rare cases where translators and scriptwriters for dubs are known (I've mentioned the Blue Water ones here).

I think most of the conversations about English language home releases has been overdone until whenever the next one comes out, but maybe more on foreign DVDs and Blu-Rays? Manga releases? I could go on.
I agree with the overall premise of this post. I've never found "who could beat who in a fight" post particularly interesting in the first place.
For me, strength discussions were something I used to care about in my early fandom and just kind of grew out of over time- probably because I found various other things to appreciate about Dragon Ball throughout the years that have had far more positive impact on how I view it (the story, characters, behinds the scenes aspects of the manga's production, the music, the character designs, etc.).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:01 am

Majin Buu wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:20 am

There's plenty to talk about aside from current in-universe stuff. Conversations about whose stronger than who inevitably become tiresome because we can only make educated guesses on these things.

For anyone that explores the behind-the-scenes stuff like various international dubs, broadcasts, even Cure Dragon 255's recent thread about favourite animators was good. Maybe favourite writers, either for the Japanese version or in the rare cases where translators and scriptwriters for dubs are known (I've mentioned the Blue Water ones here).

I think most of the conversations about English language home releases has been overdone until whenever the next one comes out, but maybe more on foreign DVDs and Blu-Rays? Manga releases? I could go on.
I agree with the overall premise of this post. I've never found "who could beat who in a fight" post particularly interesting in the first place.
For me, strength discussions were something I used to care about in my early fandom and just kind of grew out of over time- probably because I found various other things to appreciate about Dragon Ball throughout the years that have had far more positive impact on how I view it (the story, characters, behinds the scenes aspects of the manga's production, the music, the character designs, etc.).
Exactly. I find that stuff way more interesting to talk about than who would win? Goku after eating a stack of protein pancakes or Vegeta after Bulma broke a nail?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 pm

The only way I'd see myself losing interest in Dragon Ball would be if all that was left was Heroes.
With the rest, whether it's new territory or new ways to rediscover old territories, it keeps the magic up and running without any problem!

The manga still goes on (despite being on hiatus right now), video games makes us see characters/scenes with new versions and new graphics, Blu-rays of the original Dragon Ball are being released with a better quality than ever before in France (though we got only one half for now), the manga gets re-released in Full Color with the "Kanzenban" / "Perfect Edition" size next month in France bringing a whole new life to Toriyama's drawings and "directing" (I don't know if that's the right word for a manga), Dragon Ball Daima (the final Toriyama story and a tribute to the beginning of the story for the 40 year anniversary to bring you back to the base of the magic AND a tribute to Toriyama himself given the circumstances) gets release later this year...

As I said, whether it's new territory or retreading covered grounds with a new coat of paint, the magic of Dragon Ball is still there for me through numerous media. And I don't see it fading any time soon, as even old material is always used to create new things in a way that reignites the flame for me before it even had time to start fading!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am

I might lose interest in the newer content, like it'll probably happen if DBS doesn't regain its footing or whatever follows, or if Heroes ends up being the last man standing, but I'll never stop going back to the original material. Maybe not as often, maybe not participating on forums, but it will always be part of my life, like SW or my football club.