Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Yuji » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:56 pm

I wonder why Toriyama had such a big soft spot for Shin.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:25 pm

Yuji wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:56 pm I wonder why Toriyama had such a big soft spot for Shin.
Because the Kais in general are a unique race in this setting. Unlike the average, they trade brute strength for technique, finesse, and hax, on top of having intriguing lore as the overseers of the Universe who live in their own special realm.

He also approved of Toyotaro revisiting the Dai Kaioshin and making him the source of Uub/Buu's true power. For all we know, he created the character of Zamasu too. The Dragon Room approached him only with the concept of Evil Goku, which, on its own, is not connected to the concept of Evil Supreme Kai. Was it the Dragon Room or Toriyama who decided to create Zamasu and connect him to Evil Goku?

Well, the matter is simple, Toriyama established that Supreme Kais can travel even faster than Whis, and since this new show seems to be a space-travelling adventure, it is only logical that Shin will play a major role.

Why didn't the GT crew ask Kibito Kai to teleport them around the Universe to find the Dragon Balls? What a major and gross oversight from the GT crew!

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 am

Is this show really moving the needle in anything Dragonball or Anime wise I barely see anyone outside of hardcores talking about it. The severe lack of highpaced action and sakuga similar to shows like JJK and Demon Slayer is gonna make this a non-starter for most young anime fans (the same ones they are apparently tryna court with this show). I predict it’s gonna flounder & die quietly and quickly just like the Sand Land anime is doing now.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:30 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:02 am
dragonballhero wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm By the way, there's something I've been wondering. Do we think Goku (and maybe Vegeta and the other Saiyans) will need to re-unlock Super Saiyan? I don't know, I just see that being the case, given the rumors that transformations won't be a big focus of this series (which I'm personally VERY grateful for, actually).
Remember, up until SSJ4, transformations weren't a big focus in GT either. They were there, but they were very sparsely used for unknown reasons, most fans theorizing it was to conserve energy.
Good point. I just wonder if Daima might attempt to recapture the 'magic' of SSJ by sort of going back to basics with it, as it were.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 am Is this show really moving the needle in anything Dragonball or Anime wise I barely see anyone outside of hardcores talking about it. The severe lack of highpaced action and sakuga similar to shows like JJK and Demon Slayer is gonna make this a non-starter for most young anime fans (the same ones they are apparently tryna court with this show). I predict it’s gonna flounder & die quietly and quickly just like the Sand Land anime is doing now.

Actually, no one is speaking about Daima because there is NO INFO but the one thing that WAS absolutely confirmed was that they put A LOT of effort into the animation, the show was worked on FOR MONTHS so it has a lot of time to be animate awesomely. That has been the thing that was confirmed above all.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 am Is this show really moving the needle in anything Dragonball or Anime wise I barely see anyone outside of hardcores talking about it. The severe lack of highpaced action and sakuga similar to shows like JJK and Demon Slayer is gonna make this a non-starter for most young anime fans (the same ones they are apparently tryna court with this show). I predict it’s gonna flounder & die quietly and quickly just like the Sand Land anime is doing now.

Actually, no one is speaking about Daima because there is NO INFO but the one thing that WAS absolutely confirmed was that they put A LOT of effort into the animation, the show was worked on FOR MONTHS so it has a lot of time to be animate awesomely. That has been the thing that was confirmed above all.
The pre production time will be about 3 years when it releases.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:11 am

dragonballhero wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:30 am
dragonballhero wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm By the way, there's something I've been wondering. Do we think Goku (and maybe Vegeta and the other Saiyans) will need to re-unlock Super Saiyan? I don't know, I just see that being the case, given the rumors that transformations won't be a big focus of this series (which I'm personally VERY grateful for, actually).
Remember, up until SSJ4, transformations weren't a big focus in GT either. They were there, but they were very sparsely used for unknown reasons, most fans theorizing it was to conserve energy.
Good point. I just wonder if Daima might attempt to recapture the 'magic' of SSJ by sort of going back to basics with it, as it were.

Or ... a transformation that's unique for Daima. Not a recolor, a brand new design.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:11 am

Or ... a transformation that's unique for Daima. Not a recolor, a brand new design.
That doesn't seem to be the case. Pretty much every Super Saiyan form in DBZ was a recolour with some very minor additions (like no eyebrows or some lightning sparkles or bigger muscles). Certainly not entire redesigns, that's the edgy stuff that Toei did for GT.

There's no reason to assume Toriyama would have changed his formula for Daima. Any new form will just be a recolour with very minor and forgettable additions, as it was in DBZ.

Anyway, it seems pretty obvious that nothing from Daima will recapture the "magic" of the original SSJ, aka Nostalgia.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:53 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am

That doesn't seem to be the case. Pretty much every Super Saiyan form in DBZ was a recolour with some very minor additions (like no eyebrows or some lightning sparkles or bigger muscles). Certainly not entire redesigns, that's the edgy stuff that Toei did for GT.

There's no reason to assume Toriyama would have changed his formula for Daima. Any new form will just be a recolour with very minor and forgettable additions, as it was in DBZ.

Anyway, it seems pretty obvious that nothing from Daima will recapture the "magic" of the original SSJ, aka Nostalgia.
This is how it was in DBZ:

SSJ1 = Yellow hair, aura, green eyes, spiky hair and bigger muscles
SSJ2 = more spiky hair and lightning
SSJ3 = extremely long hair, no eyebrows and black pupils
SSJ Grade 2 = huge muscles and spiky hair
SSJ Grade 3 = even more muscle with more spiky hair

Now DBS:

SSG = Slimmer, red hair, aura and black pupils
SSB = Looks like SSJ1 but only in blue no other difference.
MSSB = Looks like SSB but slimmer
ESSB = more muscles, spiky hair and darker blue hair.

SSB in my opinion just colored SSJ1 and took away what made SSG unique. If it was combining SSJ + SSG, it should have traits from both, it shouldn't look like SSJ but in blue.

SSJ4 is a amazing transformation, unique hair, different looking tail, eyes, muscles, fur like Oozaru, etc.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am

That doesn't seem to be the case. Any new form will just be a recolour with very minor and forgettable additions, as it was in DBZ.

Daima is a tribute to the original series, but that doesn't exclude they still can still incorporate some new elements.
Transformation all began with Oozaru. And that was definitely not a recolor.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 pm

Either way, I hope transformations take a huge backseat. They're an absolute tension killer and story breaker, and I don't want them back unless they do a good damn job developing the characters first.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:51 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 pm Either way, I hope transformations take a huge backseat. They're an absolute tension killer and story breaker, and I don't want them back unless they do a good damn job developing the characters first.
If they're really trying to recapture the feeling of pre-Daimao Dragon Ball, I hope they don't include transformations at all.

I just wanna see lil Goku clown on his enemies with his martial art skills and his nyoi bo

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:49 pm

I'm hoping for transformations, just accompanied by good storyboarding and animation. Fights typically benefit from kicking up a gear in the middle, before cooling down for the big finale, ala Naruto's second fight with Sasuke. I thinknit really helps the more martial arts-esque moments that bookend these bigger transformation parts, although I don't know how likely we are to get such a thing.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:51 pm

I hope there won't be any kind of transformation: I want an adventure and story that can be solved out of the most repetitive and boring structure of the franchise.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:04 pm

Gashaponista wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:51 pm I hope there won't be any kind of transformation: I want an adventure and story that can be solved out of the most repetitive and boring structure of the franchise.
These things really aren't mutually exclusive or whatever. Like, "characters transform, therefore that will always be what ends a fight or resolves a problem" or whatever is just the fault of bad writing, not the use of transformations.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 pm

If there has to be a transformation in Daima, Golden Oozaru makes the most sense to me. I don't think Goku has his tail back in what we've been shown, but in the original Dragon Ball, it just kinda popped back into existence out of nowhere after the first time it was cut off. It would be more interesting than just Super Saiyan, IMO, because Oozaru is just as dangerous to friends as it is to foes. At least to one not specifically trained in using it, which Goku never was. They could even have Vegeta show up and use the same transformation, trying to reign in a rampaging Goku. One minute, Goku is using it to stomp the show's big bad, the next he IS the big bad.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 pm If there has to be a transformation in Daima, Golden Oozaru makes the most sense to me. I don't think Goku has his tail back in what we've been shown, but in the original Dragon Ball, it just kinda popped back into existence out of nowhere after the first time it was cut off. It would be more interesting than just Super Saiyan, IMO, because Oozaru is just as dangerous to friends as it is to foes. At least to one not specifically trained in using it, which Goku never was. They could even have Vegeta show up and use the same transformation, trying to reign in a rampaging Goku. One minute, Goku is using it to stomp the show's big bad, the next he IS the big bad.
Don't want to be the annoying GT fanboy, but... this.

SSJ4 worked for me in GT, as opposed to... 95% of all other transformations in the franchise... because it was built up, it was unlocked by Goku's (and Pan's) character development, and immediately after he achieves it, the tables are put back on equal footing with Golden Oozaru Baby.

If the transformation boils down to, "I'm angry, but very angry, but very very very VERY angry, and now I could kill you right now, but I'd rather torment you for no reason for 11 episodes" just like it happened with Freeza or Cell or Boo or anything else really, I'mma peace out. Transformations aren't bad, but they need to feel earned and not feel like the end of it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 am

I doubt there will be any transformations in this show.

From the trailer alone, this show seems to be as far-removed from an edgy battle fiesta like the Cell or Baby saga as possible.

I certainly don't expect to see any corny/edgy stuff like SS4 in this show.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm

The lack of marketing for this show is something else. Sometimes I forget this is coming this year.
Apparently in the beginning Daima was supposed to be a project without Toriyama, but then he got involved and contribute a lot.

I would like to know how much changes Toriyama did and who had the brilliant idea of turning the entire main cast into kids.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm The lack of marketing for this show is something else. Sometimes I forget this is coming this year.
Apparently in the beginning Daima was supposed to be a project without Toriyama, but then he got involved and contribute a lot.

I would like to know how much changes Toriyama did and who had the brilliant idea of turning the entire main cast into kids.
Marketing is typically done near the beginning of release and broadcast.
She/Her
bisexual milf