The CW's ratings have officially reached rock bottom.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The CW's ratings have officially reached rock bottom.

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:46 am Wonder if CW could get Daima? Dragon Ball hasn't been on a kids channel since Vortexx shut down and they stopped airing Kai, which was nearly a decade ago.

Adult Swim is not currently airing Super and they're only moving on Kai episode 9 this Saturday, so it will be a while until they get through it. TOEI don't want to be getting themselves into the same mess they were in before where, for whatever reason, Super couldn't be aired in the US until the current channel running Dragon Ball at least wrapped up the first part of Kai.
Considering these are reruns of reruns, I doubt that would be an issue.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm Physical Media has its uses that streaming doesn't provide (namely you own it). There really isn't anything cable provides that you don't get from streaming. I wouldn't really compare the two.
I think there is something that cable or linear TV does provide that can't be easily recreated through streaming: watching something at a similar pace to others around you or the experience of knowing that someone is watching this at the exact same time you are, building something of a community. It's something that's be sorta lost with how most streaming services handle their shows. Weekly releases help with this, but it’s not exactly the same feeling as when I'm say watching Toonami or a Capitals game live.

It's admittedly not an important thing to keep, but it's lost nonetheless.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 pm

I am so glad no one, even Masenko Ha has pointed out there is little reason for anyone to care about The CW anymore lol. I just wanted to point out that it FINALLY started to INCREASE in ratings. A show did 700k again when that sort of ratings recovery is UNHEARD OF. Also The CW is not a cable network but a Broadcast one, which explains why it was able to recover. Cable is INDEED DEAD but this isnt cable.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:46 pm

I remember in the dark ages (around 2014) 700K on a network show would have gotten you cancelled faster than you can say Kaioken. Now it's apparently ratings gold?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:54 pm

I don't understand why some people here want DB on a kids network so badly? Most kids can watch the series on streaming services these days.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:54 pm I don't understand why some people here want DB on a kids network so badly? Most kids can watch the series on streaming services these days.
And most of them are just watching YouTube and Netflix and maybe DisneyPlus and Hulu

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm Physical Media has its uses that streaming doesn't provide (namely you own it). There really isn't anything cable provides that you don't get from streaming. I wouldn't really compare the two.
As someone that owns hundreds of DVDs and Blu-Rays, and has easily spent four figures on Dragon Ball releases I get that. Physical media ultimately offers the best experience of any form of media consumption there is. I'm making the comparison more on the basis of both having that retro feel and could be marketed for particular niches that see them as more unique and distinctive nowadays because the market isn't oversaturated with them as it is with streaming services. Hell you even have some people wanting CRT TVs again, which is something I never foresaw happening. Ditto vinyl records.
gokaiblue wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm I think there is something that cable or linear TV does provide that can't be easily recreated through streaming: watching something at a similar pace to others around you or the experience of knowing that someone is watching this at the exact same time you are, building something of a community. It's something that's be sorta lost with how most streaming services handle their shows. Weekly releases help with this, but it’s not exactly the same feeling as when I'm say watching Toonami or a Capitals game live.

It's admittedly not an important thing to keep, but it's lost nonetheless.
Yeah, I was a big proponent of streaming and still use it, but I find the novelty of having thousands of shows and movies at your fingertips does wear off, although it was probably necessary to combat piracy which was inevitable when people wanted to be able to have content to binge and didn't have the money or space for collecting lots of discs.

Traditional TV did give people something of value though, like your analogy about a major sporting event, it offered a time for people to tune in and you knew countless other fans were doing it at the same time as you. Programming blocks and all the ways in which shows were marketed also added a lot more character to the experience rather than everything being reduced to just another app on your iPhone.

It's also much easier for things to fly under the radar now. Even for our beloved Toonami, I didn't know it still existed in Spain. Turns out the actual block shut down in 2009, but it's still available through the Orange TV on-demand package where several shows you can stream are branded as "Adult Swim Toonami".

So yes, even attempts to recreate the feel of traditional TV or retain brands like Toonami in name only don't have the same effect. I appreciate that Disney Plus brought back releasing new episodes weekly as I think Netflix's model of dumping entire seasons at once was overkill, but I'm still pretty meh about it, other than when new Star Wars content comes out.

Call it nostalgia, I get it's easy to romanticise the past and all that, and traditional TV in Ireland is pretty much trash nowadays, but I do worry for the current generation like my son who will not know what it was like for us.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:14 am
As someone that owns hundreds of DVDs and Blu-Rays, and has easily spent four figures on Dragon Ball releases I get that. Physical media ultimately offers the best experience of any form of media consumption there is. I'm making the comparison more on the basis of both having that retro feel and could be marketed for particular niches that see them as more unique and distinctive nowadays because the market isn't oversaturated with them as it is with streaming services. Hell you even have some people wanting CRT TVs again, which is something I never foresaw happening. Ditto vinyl records.
I had something to say but then I remembered I've been tempted to buy a VCR and cheap VHS tapes for no other reason than I'm nostalgic for those damn boxy clamshell cases so point taken. :lol:

Yeah, I was a big proponent of streaming and still use it, but I find the novelty of having thousands of shows and movies at your fingertips does wear off, although it was probably necessary to combat piracy which was inevitable when people wanted to be able to have content to binge and didn't have the money or space for collecting lots of discs.

Traditional TV did give people something of value though, like your analogy about a major sporting event, it offered a time for people to tune in and you knew countless other fans were doing it at the same time as you. Programming blocks and all the ways in which shows were marketed also added a lot more character to the experience rather than everything being reduced to just another app on your iPhone.

It's also much easier for things to fly under the radar now. Even for our beloved Toonami, I didn't know it still existed in Spain. Turns out the actual block shut down in 2009, but it's still available through the Orange TV on-demand package where several shows you can stream are branded as "Adult Swim Toonami".

So yes, even attempts to recreate the feel of traditional TV or retain brands like Toonami in name only don't have the same effect. I appreciate that Disney Plus brought back releasing new episodes weekly as I think Netflix's model of dumping entire seasons at once was overkill, but I'm still pretty meh about it, other than when new Star Wars content comes out.

Call it nostalgia, I get it's easy to romanticise the past and all that, and traditional TV in Ireland is pretty much trash nowadays, but I do worry for the current generation like my son who will not know what it was like for us.
Eh even before the "death" of traditional television people would get busy with real life obligations and would have to tape a show to watch later and then of course there was the magic of TiVo and DVR.

I do agree weekly releases are superior to just dumping the whole season at once. The last two recent shows I watched WandaVision and Chucky had one episode a week release (the latter being a show on cable but made available on the Syfy and USA Network app a day later) and it definitely made discussing those shows episode by episode way more fun than just having a whole season to binge over a weekend.

So I will say I am 100 percent for one episode a week releases.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:10 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:54 pm I don't understand why some people here want DB on a kids network so badly? Most kids can watch the series on streaming services these days.
And most of them are just watching YouTube and Netflix and maybe DisneyPlus and Hulu
Yeah since the Gen Alpha kids can find anything that they want easily. My older cousin has two kids (One is 8 and other is 5), they watch their cartoons like Spidey and His Amazing Friends, Transformers: Earthspark, or Star Wars: The Bad Batch on streaming apps. My one year old nephew also watches Bluey on Disney+ seeing that it's easier for my sister & brother in law to pay for Internet than cable. Bascially, kids these don't need cable and cable TV will be a thing of the past. I think many people just want kids these days to have the same childhood experience that they had which is why some people here want DB on a kids network so badly.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/