Is original Dragon Ball really that unpopular?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is original Dragon Ball really that unpopular?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am

Guys I didnt mean "NO LESS THAN 5 EPISODES" I meant "Five episodes TOPS." More than that is NOT NEEDED, you are more than free to drop anything at the first five minutes too.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:34 am

It's everyone's prerogative how many episodes or how many minutes into episode 1 a show has to prove itself, but the onus is on the fan of said show to give those they are recommending it for good reason why its worth sticking around for however long the show takes to "get good".

For the same reason I don't understand why people pick up random series Netflix dumps at the drop of a hat just for "something to watch", more power to them if that's how they roll but I'd rather do something else I enjoy rather than going into a show blind on the off-chance it might hook me at some point.

I don't hate One Piece, I've enjoyed what I've seen, but still haven't been sold on why it's overhyped as being the greatest thing in the history of anime, and while I'll eventually get back to it I'm not going to be rushing back to it because I'm told "just wait, it gets really good at episode 572".

Getting back to original Dragon Ball, I still have hope that there is still a lot of people out there who genuinely want it. In South Korea a new redub actually began airing last Christmas, its on Anibox Sundays at 8pm, they're airing four episodes this week, so clearly the channel must be confident as they could easily fill that quadruple timeslot with any of the movies since Battle of Gods, which are all heavy on the spectacle.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:13 am

The irony of waiting for an anime to "git gud" is that the anime has to be good in the first place for it to "git gud." For example: Demon Slayer ep 19 is the episode that people commonly believe as the moment where the anime went from "decent shounen" to "hyped masterpiece." And i tend to agree with that. I remember that episode in particular it felt like everything just clicked and Tanjiro cutting that demon's head was the hypest shit imaginable. But I was only able to feel that way because I allowed myself to enjoy the series as a whole. Again, I didn't think Demon Slayer was amazing at the time, but I liked the characters and the world building and the animation and that kept me going each week until episode 19 dropped. And now I'm very much on that Demon Slayer hype train.

The problem with the "oh you gotta wait till this specific episode for it to git gud" is that it creates that expectation that you literally just have to wait for it to finally get good, which I think is a very bad way to engage with any type of show. Standing there, arms crossed acting like going through this anime is like work to get to the good part does a disservice to both the anime in question as well as you the viewer because you're not engaging with it in any meaningful way. I've been guilty of that myself.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:20 am

I think the importance of a really good first episode is often lost on a lot of fans, because not a lot of fans watch a lot of stuff, or think about factors like time.

If I am going to recommend a series with a good first episode, I'm recommending something like Re:Zero, which I think is not only a good double-length first episode, but really sets up the hook that helps keep the series so fresh.

One Piece isn't designed to be watchable. It's a disposable cartoon, that yes, has a ton of work put in, but the idea is to read the comic, not try and watch all 1,101 episodes of a cartoon. This is part of why I am so mixed on how Episodes #892+ have basically been produced during an era where the series is given a massive amount of staff and drawings per episode, but shorter and more accessible series have suffered.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 am
Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 am
This actually kind of seamlessly branches off into a WHOLE other tangent that warrants its own thread quite frankly, so I'll just stop here for purposes of not derailing this thread any further than it already has been.
I believe this has been done before but if you have any original ideas along those lines (which I wouldn't be surprised if you do) go for it.
Not even remotely what I was talking about or referencing. :lol:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm

I always assume that anybody telling me a show "gets good at episode X" actually enjoyed the show from episode 1, but something happened that made the series even better to them, so they think that anybody will love it when they get to that particular section of the story, even if they hate prior material
Last edited by NeoZ Duwang on Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
she/they.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm

NeoZ Duwang wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm I always assume that anybody telling me a show "gets good at episode X" actually enjoyed the show from episode 1, but something happened that made the series even better to them, so they thing that anybody will love it when they get to that particular section of the story, even if they hate prior material
This , and this is the best take for trying out a new series.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm

I think it's just the cost of escalation and the most iconic (and more importantly, marketable), series-defining moments and characters coming in much later. You can't even blame it on Funimation presenting the series out of order because even Japan puts Z front and center and treats the Kid Goku years as an afterthought.

The original sin was Toei splitting the anime to begin with.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler