ME TOONS CONFIRMED! (SPEED RACER IN THE LINE UP)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

ME TOONS CONFIRMED! (SPEED RACER IN THE LINE UP)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 01, 2024 8:59 pm

https://web.archive.org/web/20240502004 ... 000388.htm

I am so happy, this could air OG DB, DBZ and then Super in order so for the next generation of viewers the correct chronological airing will FINALLY be the best way to watch.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: ME TOONS CONFIRMED! (SPEED RACER IN THE LINE UP)

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 pm

Dragon Ball was also my favorite cartoon from the 1960s

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 02, 2024 3:12 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 pm Dragon Ball was also my favorite cartoon from the 1960s
I thought I already responded to this post but thank god I didnt because it seems like they will ALSO air 80's cartoons which is the era where a certain anime cartoon came out...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:12 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 pm Dragon Ball was also my favorite cartoon from the 1960s
I thought I already responded to this post but thank god I didnt because it seems like they will ALSO air 80's cartoons which is the era where a certain anime cartoon came out...
A certain anime cartoon that didn't start airing until the late 90s in the U.S?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 02, 2024 4:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm
Their only limit right now that they said is that they wont ever commision new cartoons, they have to be classics.

EDIT: Quoted from TargetmasterJoe on TV Tropes

Alongside the already announced toons like Looney Tunes, Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Jonny Quest, Speed Racer, etc. There's actually more revealed in the video and hinted at the website!

Also coming:

The Smurfs
Go-Bots
Touche Turtle
Top Cat
Secret Squirrel
Underdog
Magilla Gorilla
Josie and the Pussycats
Wacky Races
Captain Planet
Inspector Gadget
Baby Looney Tunes
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Krypto the Superdog
Droopy, Master Detective
The Mask (?!)
Beetlejuice (?!)
Freakazoid (?!?!?!)
Duck Dodgers 2003 (?!)
Xiaolin Showdown (?!)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 02, 2024 5:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm A certain anime cartoon that didn't start airing until the late 90s in the U.S?
Actually neither original Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z premiered in the US in the late 90s. For the former we obviously have the 1989/90 Harmony Gold dub and for the latter Nippon Golden Network began airing it, albeit in Japanese with subtitles in 1994.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:31 pm Xiaolin Showdown (?!)
Love that show, an underrated gem. Never seen any of the Spanish dubs though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:08 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm A certain anime cartoon that didn't start airing until the late 90s in the U.S?
Actually neither original Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z premiered in the US in the late 90s. For the former we obviously have the 1989/90 Harmony Gold dub and for the latter Nippon Golden Network began airing it, albeit in Japanese with subtitles in 1994.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:31 pm Xiaolin Showdown (?!)
Love that show, an underrated gem. Never seen any of the Spanish dubs though.
I love you.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 02, 2024 5:19 pm

I still don't get the big deal on having DB on modern TV is needed thing?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu May 02, 2024 5:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:31 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm

Their only limit right now that they said is that they wont ever commision new cartoons, they have to be classics.

EDIT: Quoted from TargetmasterJoe on TV Tropes

Alongside the already announced toons like Looney Tunes, Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Jonny Quest, Speed Racer, etc. There's actually more revealed in the video and hinted at the website!

Also coming:

The Smurfs
Go-Bots
Touche Turtle
Top Cat
Secret Squirrel
Underdog
Magilla Gorilla
Josie and the Pussycats
Wacky Races
Captain Planet
Inspector Gadget
Baby Looney Tunes
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Krypto the Superdog
Droopy, Master Detective
The Mask (?!)
Beetlejuice (?!)
Freakazoid (?!?!?!)
Duck Dodgers 2003 (?!)
Xiaolin Showdown (?!)
The ones in bold I haven't seen them, but all the others I watched them. They were all so good. I also enjoyed watching Code Lyoko.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 02, 2024 5:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:19 pm I still don't get the big deal on having DB on modern TV is needed thing?
I dunno but Toei cares and constantly tries new tv deals because they still care.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 pm

I.......yeah I'm aware. That's not quite the same thing as actually airing to a widespread market. The former only aired for like a week at 330 pm when the target audience was in school and only in certain locations the other was specific to Hawaii and not exactly targeted at a large audience

For all intents and purposes Dragon Ball was a cartoon seen by people in the late 90s and early 2000s as far the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 pm

I.......yeah I'm aware. That's not quite the same thing as actually airing to a widespread market. The former only aired for like a week at 330 pm when the target audience was in school and only in certain locations the other was specific to Hawaii and not exactly targeted at a large audience

For all intents and purposes Dragon Ball was a cartoon seen by people in the late 90s and early 2000s as far the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
Well, it turns out that's not a problem after all. XIAOLIN SHOWDOWN is airing too and that just aint from the 60's y'know.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu May 02, 2024 8:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:24 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:19 pm I still don't get the big deal on having DB on modern TV is needed thing?
I dunno but Toei cares and constantly tries new tv deals because they still care.
The guy who champions Dragon Ball being on modern TV can't give a better answer about why that matters than "I dunno but Toei's doing it".

For how important this seems to be to you, I'd figure you would have a better answer than that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:44 pm

I did because it doesnt really matter, reality has given Masenko Ha a comeback that is so VERY GLORIOUS any written comeback is worthless in comparison(That Me TV's new channel INDEED would have ZERO problem airing Dragon Ball). And besides if I did, Masenko Ha would just roll his eyes and say "Oh you silly Cure Dragon". I've done Essays upon essays as to why I wanted DB back on tv that's always been the result. So while I know this channel probably wont get Dragon Ball, my dream FINALLY CAME TRUE HAHAHAHAHA.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 pm

Toei seems to be pushing more on Streaming than they did in the past. That's why Daima is supposedly plan to be on CR as it airs in Japan unlike with Super. TV still had some legs left in 2016-2017 when Toonami got it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 pm Toei seems to be pushing more on Streaming than they did in the past. That's why Daima is supposedly plan to be on CR as it airs in Japan unlike with Super. TV still had some legs left in 2016-2017 when Toonami got it.
I know they do, but for some reason they keep doing tv deals, they are just traditional like that, they still believe in tv deals. Like Nintendo STILL DOES hanafuda playing cards despite those no longer being mainstream, but still do because that's what they did in the past. Sure I know that in Paraguay and Latin America in general broadcast tv still does more than acceptable ratings. Streaming is taking over, but Broadcast TV has yet to be in peril.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 03, 2024 2:58 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:39 pm Well, it turns out that's not a problem after all. XIAOLIN SHOWDOWN is airing too and that just aint from the 60's y'know.
I don't know where this information came from, but I remember once being told cartoons were considered classics if they were 20+ years. Man it makes me feel old that Xiaolin Showdown is 21 years old now.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 pm Toei seems to be pushing more on Streaming than they did in the past. That's why Daima is supposedly plan to be on CR as it airs in Japan unlike with Super. TV still had some legs left in 2016-2017 when Toonami got it.
Actually Daima is set to air on Fuji TV, I'm sure it will come to streaming at some point, it's just not going to debut there.

It will probably air on Pop in the UK too. They still air Super every night at 11pm over 3 years since it concluded on the channel. That's the longest any Dragon Ball show has been on reruns here.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 03, 2024 4:14 am

Can someone please say in what country and dub they broadcast?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 03, 2024 5:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 pmThe former only aired for like a week at 330 pm when the target audience was in school and only in certain locations
Actually come to think of it are US schools open the week of January 1st-5th? That was the week WGPR and WGBS aired original Dragon Ball.

Otherwise I take your point about both broadcasts being quite niche.
sangofe wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:14 am Can someone please say in what country and dub they broadcast?
I believe in the US on syndicated networks. Probably will be broadcasting in English.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:00 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:57 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 pmThe former only aired for like a week at 330 pm when the target audience was in school and only in certain locations
Actually come to think of it are US schools open the week of January 1st-5th? That was the week WGPR and WGBS aired original Dragon Ball.

Otherwise I take your point about both broadcasts being quite niche.
sangofe wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:14 am Can someone please say in what country and dub they broadcast?
I believe in the US on syndicated networks. Probably will be broadcasting in English.
It's not syndicated, the entire network is dedicated to broadcasting the entirety of the lineup. It's broadcast television but different from broadcast syndication.