Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:27 am

Gashaponista wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:56 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:11 pm
Gashaponista wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:36 pm

It's weird to see it that way, considering that the DBS manga was born as a promotional product for the anime.
I think that theory was put to bed when the manga continued on past the finale of the anime, but yeah, it doesn't really matter and can be "different things for different people".
It's not a theory if it was officially announced that way in 2015. In any case, the fact that the manga has become something else and has followed its own path does not change the reason for its origin.

The same will happen with Daima, if it has any manga adaptation only the newbies of the future will mistake the printed version as the basis of the franchise.
Actually, I don't share the popular sentiment that Daima will be a completely different series from Super. I look at the trailer, I look at the tone, atmosphere, and characters, and I just see a new arc of Super.

I expect Toyotaro to return with the adapation of Daima in the Super manga. I think that this so-called distinction between Super and Daima is vastly overblown out of proportions by the community.

I'm calling it now: this show takes place in the time gap between Broly movie and Super Hero movie and that's why there is no Beerus and Whis. Because Beerus was sleeping for some months during that time (confirmed in Super Hero).

I just see this show as "Super Season 2" with a fancy name. People thinking that this is a "grand reboot" or "grand alternate timeline" just because Beerus and Whis are not in the trailer, temper your expectations. :lol:

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon May 06, 2024 6:00 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:18 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:14 pm

And as we all know, that is also the reason why Evolution and GT was so successful.......wait :think:
GT was successful at the time even if it suffered from franchise fatigue. It did worse than the previous two series it didn't bomb. Also lololol FujiTv wishes Dragon Ball Super had the ratings that GT did.

And Evolution was hated for changing the material people hold near and dear to their childhood. What a terrible comparison.

False equivalences are fun!
I'm using your logic, Evolution used Dragon ball's name and it fail because it wasn't good, same thing should happen to Super but it did not, and FujiTv wishes that GT could gather a live crowd like Super did lol. GT ain't breaking no internet if it came out today. When even Heroes don't want to use your original characters and instead is using the only popular thing from your show to put on their OC, you know it's bad lol.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:00 am

And as we all know, that is also the reason why Evolution and GT was so successful.......wait :think:
GT was successful at the time even if it suffered from franchise fatigue. It did worse than the previous two series it didn't bomb. Also lololol FujiTv wishes Dragon Ball Super had the ratings that GT did.

And Evolution was hated for changing the material people hold near and dear to their childhood. What a terrible comparison.

I'm using your logic, Evolution used Dragon ball's name and it fail because it wasn't good,
Well no, because nowhere did I say that. I said Super was part of an existing successful franchise and riding on nostalgia. Evolution was an in name only live action adaptation. That's not even in the ballpark of being the same thing.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 06, 2024 10:42 am

Dragon Ball Evolution completely changed the story and characters in the movie, even how some techniques and transformation works.

Goku is in high school, Bulma is a fighter, Kamehameha heals, Oozaru doesn't need tail, etc.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon May 06, 2024 11:34 am

I'm using your logic, Evolution used Dragon ball's name and it fail because it wasn't good, same thing should happen to Super but it did not, and FujiTv wishes that GT could gather a live crowd like Super did lol. GT ain't breaking no internet if it came out today. When even Heroes don't want to use your original characters and instead is using the only popular thing from your show to put on their OC, you know it's bad lol.

Tournament of Power-arc of Super had bad/lazy writing according to some, but i was always really looking forward the next episode.
GT first and only watch: struggling to not fall asleep on my couch massively.
People who criticize Super for lazy writing but don't criticize GT, the only reason i can come up with is nostalgia.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 06, 2024 11:43 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:34 am

Tournament of Power-arc of Super had bad/lazy writing according to some, but i was always really looking forward the next episode.
People who criticize Super for lazy writing but don't criticize GT, the only reason i can come up with is nostalgia.
I like the idea of Universe vs Universe and tournaments, DBS had some great ideas. However DBS had terrible writing, regardless how great those ideas were.

Making the characters worse and then using said worse characters to move the plot forward is terrible writing. Doing dumb things that they knew or learned in the past just for gags isn't good writing.
In the ToP Goku didn't stop letting his guard down, despite knowing he was the target. He even gets mad at C17 for using his brains. Before the ToP he was acting like a villain towards the other universe.

GT Goku is smart compared to DBS Goku. Characters matures and learns in GT, while DBS they do not.
In GT anyone can fight unless there is a good reason why they can't. An example giving ki to Goku instead of fusing was smart.
In DBS they actually stop fighters from training and fighting for no good reasons.

DBS Goku = Dumb and annoying
DBS Chi Chi = Nagging and selfish
DBS Goten and Trunks = Not allowed to fight, no matter how bad the situation is. Not allowed to train or know of any event.
DBS Boo = Sleeping

In the ToP they were more focused on exhausted Goku and everyone impressed with his battle with SSJ2 Caulifla while everyone ignored SSB Vegeta vs Toppo. They acted like SSJ2 Goku vs Caulifla was the huge fight, which was dumb when there was SSB fighters being ignored.
Ribrianne was really bad in DBS Anime both in personality and design wise.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 06, 2024 1:02 pm

The main criticism I see levied against the ToP arc is "bad pacing", which is a funny criticism. I mean, people go on and on about how they want Human characters to be relevant again, the TOP arc actually made them relevant again, yet people complained that the pacing was too slow and there were too many filler fights. You'd think people would appreciate the ToP giving Krillin, Tien, and Roshi entire episodes centred around them. Apparently not.

I genuinely think that people don't know what they want. People for years complain that the Humans are irrelevant (you see many threads on this very forum complaining about this), so Super gives Krillin, Tien, and Roshi their own spotlight episodes, and now people complain about the pacing being too slow. Super just can't win. :roll:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:02 pm

The main criticism I see levied against the ToP arc is "bad pacing", which is a funny criticism. I mean, people go on and on about how they want Human characters to be relevant again, the TOP arc actually made them relevant again, yet people complained that the pacing was too slow and there were too many filler fights. You'd think people would appreciate the ToP giving Krillin, Tien, and Roshi entire episodes centred around them. Apparently not.

I genuinely think that people don't know what they want. People for years complain that the Humans are irrelevant (you see many threads on this very forum complaining about this), so Super gives Krillin, Tien, and Roshi their own spotlight episodes, and now people complain about the pacing being too slow. Super just can't win. :roll:
Somehow everyone thought in the ToP that SSJ2 Goku vs Caulifla was the match of the century, while everyone ignored SSB Vegeta vs Toppo. Somehow SSJ2 level is more exciting than SSB level.
Then Goten and Trunks not chose for the ToP, while they picked the weak humans. Heck they even had to beg Kuririn to join the tournament.

Power scale was really bad, one moment a fighter could be SSB, then the next episode just base level.

RoF = Goten, Trunks and Chiaotzu not allowed to join, but whines about their numbers being too little
Universe 6 = Goten and Trunks not allowed to join.
ToP = Not allowed to know about it.

They have the desire to train with powerful beings, but they are not given any chance. Boo mess up so much, fails and fall asleep but is given unlimited chances.
The humans only does weak training.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 06, 2024 1:45 pm

This conversation is no longer about Dragon Ball Daima.

If you wish to talk about Dragon Ball Super, by all means, please knock yourselves out... in a different, more appropriate thread, though!

(Also please don't just make up someone to be angry about and claim is being hypocritical. I am one of these mysterious people that hates the Tournament of Power, and literally nothing that's been listed here is an actual reason why I, a real life human being, don't like it.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon May 06, 2024 2:59 pm

Anyone know who's gonna have the license to stream DB Daima in Asia? Anime has been getting sublicensed to Disney+ and Netflix in Asia lately. I hope it goes to Netflix when it airs.
The world is your's.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 06, 2024 3:14 pm

I don't think there has been an official announcement yet, but I would not be surprised if Disney+ got the international license for Daima.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 06, 2024 3:29 pm

I would imagine it would stream on Crunchyroll but it would be way more beneficial to stream on Disney+ or Hulu or Netflix

Although fuck Netflix.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 06, 2024 3:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:29 pm I would imagine it would stream on Crunchyroll but it would be way more beneficial to stream on Disney+ or Hulu or Netflix

Although fuck Netflix.
"Disney Plus"

Yeah... about that... Anime goes there to die, they keep licensing big hits but they are NOT PROMOTED AT ALL. They are dubbed and all but most end up dead in obscurity.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon May 06, 2024 4:48 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:34 am Tournament of Power-arc of Super had bad/lazy writing according to some, but i was always really looking forward the next episode.
And the only reason I can come up for why people like Super is, "lolololol watch da pretty fights goku is badazz u dun watch DB for da plot :P"
Generalizations are fun! :D

Both GT and Super had mind-numbingly bad writing. The stark difference between both is that GT, for all of its many, many, many, MANY flaws, did not transform its cast into caricature-level sociopaths and was not afraid to step out of the Status Quo. The fact that Goku achieves a new transformation in GT by realizing that his family and friends are more important than fighting puts it far, far, far, FAR above Super for me. Forgive me, Toriyama and fanboys, but I am not and will never be a fan of "I forgot I had a granddaughter!" Goku.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:48 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:34 am Tournament of Power-arc of Super had bad/lazy writing according to some, but i was always really looking forward the next episode.
And the only reason I can come up for why people like Super is, "lolololol watch da pretty fights goku is badazz u dun watch DB for da plot :P"
Generalizations are fun! :D

Both GT and Super had mind-numbingly bad writing. The stark difference between both is that GT, for all of its many, many, many, MANY flaws, did not transform its cast into caricature-level sociopaths and was not afraid to step out of the Status Quo. The fact that Goku achieves a new transformation in GT by realizing that his family and friends are more important than fighting puts it far, far, far, FAR above Super for me. Forgive me, Toriyama and fanboys, but I am not and will never be a fan of "I forgot I had a granddaughter!" Goku.
At the risk of driving this further off topic, I'm at a total loss at how this even turned into a GT vs Super flame war.

All that was pointed out was evidence that Super was *snicker* "a groundbreaking anime" was just a clear case of the Dragon ball FRANCHISE being a international phenomenon that people in their 30s and 40s fell in love with when they were 9. The "But GT bombed" rebuttal was thrown out which is not only false, we have evidence on this very site that it's a complete load of crap but also ignores the completely different context of those two series release. GT was the year 10 and 11 of the series. Super was the nostalgic revival 20 years after the manga ended.

Seriously, neither series is very good but that doesn't change the objective facts that Super unquestionably benefits from the nostalgia of millennials falling in love with Dragon Ball (Z) when they didn't have armpit hair yet and that GT did just fine in Japan when it aired.

Back to Daima uh I suspect we'll get another trailer in the next few months that will hopefully tell us if the series has more to offer than pretty animation.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 pm At the risk of driving this further off topic, I'm at a total loss at how this even turned into a GT vs Super flame war.

All that was pointed out was evidence that Super was *snicker* "a groundbreaking anime" was just a clear case of the Dragon ball FRANCHISE being a international phenomenon that people in their 30s and 40s fell in love with when they were 9. The "But GT bombed" rebuttal was thrown out which is not only false, we have evidence on this very site that it's a complete load of crap but also ignores the completely different context of those two series release. GT was the year 10 and 11 of the series. Super was the nostalgic revival 20 years after the manga ended.

Seriously, neither series is very good but that doesn't change the objective facts that Super unquestionably benefits from the nostalgia of millennials falling in love with Dragon Ball (Z) when they didn't have armpit hair yet and that GT did just fine in Japan when it aired.
Yup. I love GT, but its writing is garbage.
I made sure to say in my initial post that DB, Z, GT AND Super, all four of them, not one of them specifically, had questionable writing that aged poorly. The Cell and Boo Sagas remain as a personal low point of the whole franchise for me. I don't know how the fuck GT got thrown into this discussion either, but here we are, apparently. All of them are bad, you can prefer one or the other, but they don't hold up. Period.

I want Daima to be better. I want Dragon Ball to abandon its habit of treating its audience like stupid little kids, especially if it's to pay homage to a 40-year old franchise.

tonysoprano300
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tonysoprano300 » Mon May 06, 2024 6:15 pm

I think Super offers the superficial stuff that a lot of fans beg for whereas GT did not, Super has endless amounts of transformations, fight scenes, fan fiction concepts and power ups where as GT was heavily criticized for not giving us enough of those things.

People wanted to see Vegeta fuck shit up, not the GT version who continues along the path that was set up at the end of the Buu arc where he accepts Goku is better than him and makes peace with it. Look at any fan manga out there and you’ll always see the intense obsession with the surface level DB iconography jump off the page and truth be told that stuff really sells.

Not that I'm even upset about it, I like watching great action scenes as much as the next guy. I also like good stories though.

Now that Daima looks to be somewhat different from the norm of DB, its seemingly only served to piss people off

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 pm

BTW I will be the lone ranger who dares be on topic and say it was lucky Toei finished animating Daima months ago. This means it's animated AND written in its entirety already so Toriyama did get to see it finished even if he didnt see it air.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 06, 2024 7:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:41 pm Back to Daima uh I suspect we'll get another trailer in the next few months that will hopefully tell us if the series has more to offer than pretty animation.
I would imagine we'll get one for San Diego Comic Con, to match the other events.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon May 06, 2024 7:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 pm BTW I will be the lone ranger who dares be on topic and say it was lucky Toei finished animating Daima months ago. This means it's animated AND written in its entirety already so Toriyama did get to see it finished even if he didnt see it air.
From what I recall all we had was that a decent number of the early episodes were finished, not that the entire show was finished. I feel like if they had literally finished the entire show we would have at least some indication of how long it was going to be.