Piccolo Day = another jab at communists?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Piccolo Day = another jab at communists?

Post by coola » Fri May 10, 2024 5:20 pm

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/drago ... 0509205742
9th May is also Victory Day (more like exchange of invaders, but i digress) in Soviets/Russia and their colonies, I'm now curious if it was Toriyama another jab at communists? (After Oolong first outfit and Red Ribbon Army)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Piccolo Day = another jab at communists?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 10, 2024 8:31 pm

He made May 9th Piccolo day because it was a send up of how May 9th should be Goku day

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Fri May 24, 2024 1:27 pm

I always saw the Red Ribbon Army as more of a jab at nazis, not communists. Now I get the "communist pig" thing, as it was a common phrase and the character of Oolong was a pig, so... easy joke.

I get that anti-communist propaganda must've been big in Japan too, but I'd be sad if the RR Army were that. Oh well.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu May 30, 2024 9:08 pm

Interesting thing about your country, thank you for sharing it.

Toriyama does not seem the kind of person that would be interested in pollitics, so I doubt he would impletement that kind of a joke in his stories. It is an interesting point of view though.

In a similar fashion I think the jokes about the nazi were for comedy purposes only as they have been considered to be the bad guys globally for very long.

Red ribbon representing the soviets is suggested in the story due to weather and orography seen and the clothing the characters had, not only the military ones but for example the way village women are dressed.