English Actors that were cast post...a certain timeframe.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

English Actors that were cast post...a certain timeframe.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:35 pm

With this I mean around the time Kai was made but not Kai specifically. Post Funimation wanting to emulate an edgy Western cartoon feel and casting actors to match the Japanese version.

These would be, but would not be limited, to...

-Chris Ayers and any sound a like of his.
.Colleen Clinkenbeard
-James Masters
-Ian Sinclair.
-Monica Rial

Can you help me name some you might want to bring up?

Anyone cast prior to Kai doesnt count.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: English Actors that were cast post...a certain timeframe.

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:38 am

You just want to list dub voice actors for Dragon Ball that didn’t appear in the original run? Not really a topic, this could go in non-thread worthy discussions.

But I guess to answer the question, pretty much the majority of Super original characters.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 11, 2024 12:09 pm

Funimation's casting choices from Kai onwards have been infinitely better than their 1998-2005 castings. Obviously the problem with the latter was always the fact Funimation were not making casting decisions based on the character's essential traits but they were just looking for people with little acting skills (there are exceptions of course like Dale Kelly who had done much radio work) based on how well they were able to imitate the Ocean cast.

I have heard some arguments Chris Ayres was cast to imitate Little Kuriboh, but that doesn't seem likely to me as Funimation was originally hoping Linda Young would reprise her role as Freeza but decided after the fact to recast, reportedly because she had difficulty reading her lines quick enough (although an argument could be made Funi Kai's lines could be trimmed). Everything I've ever heard Ayres say and people say about him says he based his voice on Freeza's personality (his cold demeanour, snobbiness, sense of entitlement, etc) so I will definitely give Funimation credit for his casting.

Colleen Clinkenbeard, her take does lean closer to Saffron Henderson than Stephanie Nadolny, but considering the extent to which Funimation seemingly went to erase fans memories of the Canadian cast I can put this more down to coincidence. It's still a different enough voice for Gohan but it was great in the Cell Games as she really carried the emotional burden of the weight of the world resting on the shoulders of an 11-year old Gohan. She had plenty of experience with the incredibly melodramatic (in a good way) One Piece though, which is where I think a lot of people draw the Luffy comparisons from. Apparently One Piece's dub is handled by a different team than Dragon Balls though, so I don't think her work as Gohan was any happy accident.

James Marsters was perfect casting for Zamasu. Much like Freeza, it's a very cold, ominously sadistic voice with a touch of eloquence, which was very well suited for a character, discretely elitist as he was about his role as a God, only seeing characters like Goku that have, in some cases surpassed many Gods as a stain on his vision of a perfect universe (or mulitiverse given he was from universe 6, not 10).

Monica Rial, I could maybe see some resemblance to Tiffany Volmer's Bulma, although she's a far superior actor. Rial speaks very intelligible though, as Bulma should because she's a scientist. Her voice isn't perfect though and could perhaps be toned down as it can be quite loud at times (which I suppose is where Kunzait is coming from when he says even today Funimation's Dragon Ball voices are too cartoony, even if I think his analysis of their performances is unnecessarily harsh). I don't hear much similarity between Rial and any of the Ocean Bulmas, which is not a bad thing. Just one of those castings I'd call good, but nothing spectacular.

Ian Sinclair is great. Like James Marsters (and we can throw Jason Douglas in there too) there was no previous English casting to base his voice on, but Whis is not a hard character to get right. Just any soft-spoken flamboyant "man of wisdom" (but not in an old man way) voice will do. Doug Erholtz sounded near identical in the Bang Zoom dub, as they were likely casting Whis with the same mindset as Funimation.

As I said Jason Douglas is another great casting that was seemingly done to faithfully present the character. His voice is both Godly and rash sounding. Archie Fletcher excelled at the former in Bang Zoom's dub of Super but didn't have any of the latter. Douglas' Beerus is far more threatening, as is needed because this is a character who will destroy your entire world with a single finger if he had even the slightest criticism of your food.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:38 am You just want to list dub voice actors for Dragon Ball that didn’t appear in the original run? Not really a topic, this could go in non-thread worthy discussions.

But I guess to answer the question, pretty much the majority of Super original characters.
The point is "what characters since 2009 has Funimation cast based on their acting ability not just on being nobodies who just so happened to be good at imitating the Ocean cast"? I've said I agree with most, if not all of Cure Dragon's choices but would also add in Jason Douglas.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland exactly what I wanted to say better than I ever could. That's exactly what I meant with this thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2024 10:16 am

Should be noted Colleen Clinkenbeard did Princess Snake for the UUE dub and was obviously Luffy for One Piece so she actually predates Kai by a few years.

I also don't hear the similarities between Henderson and Clinkenbeard's Gohan's...like at all. Nadolny definitely started out imitating Henderson before dropping it early on for the raspier voice.