Project Picasso Z!!! - A Hunt for the Lost Picasso Tagalog Dub of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peenoisedbfanboi

Project Picasso Z!!! - A Hunt for the Lost Picasso Tagalog Dub of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z!

Post by Peenoisedbfanboi » Thu May 16, 2024 12:50 am

Hello! So what is this project, really? Well, It's about trying to find the lost and elusive 1998/1999 (?) - 2002 Picasso Studios Tagalog Dub of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z!

What is this "Picasso Dub" and why should I care? Well, You don't have to give a shit but if you're interested, here's a little bit of info. This dub was, I guess you can call the "successor" of Creative Productions Filipino English Dub of OGDB and DBZ Since Rio A. Del Rosario supervised the entire production of this dub!

This dub retained the same cast from the past Filipino Eng Dub of the franchise! And the huge example here is Nesty Ramirez reprising his role as Son Goku and Apollo Abraham reprising his role as Kririn from the Greatest Rivals (M5 and M6) and from the remaining episodes of Z and OGDB that aired in '95 -'96 !!

Here's a video example:

https://youtu.be/QgPFJmAvf_c

https://youtu.be/w3jWO39WiMI

https://youtu.be/0k7VdoHfVAY

This dub started with Dragon Ball right around '98 or 99, starting where the Creative Productions Dub left off (right around the finale of Piccolo Daimao Arc). At the time of it's final eps airing on GMA, Picasso's DBZ dub was also airing, and they went straight to the Namek Arc (Also where the Creative Prod. Z Dub left off) but it was unknown if they dubbed Eps 45-49 in TagLish or Tagalog since a lot of Filipino fans remembered watching the dub of OGDB and Z in TagLish but it later switched to full Tagalog.

Once Z reached right around Episode 103-onwards, there was a huge change for Goku's VA. Nesty Ramirez, the first VA of Goku in the Creative Corp. Eng Dub and the early parts of the Picasso Tagalog Dub moved to US so he can be the principal of a school that his parents ran back then. He was later replaced by Jefferson Utanes as Goku, he's still Goku's VA until now.
They also dubbed and aired the Saiyan Arc in 2005, 2 years after GT's original run on GMA (which had mostly the same cast but with some changes but that'll be a different topic) .

Some fans like UndustFixation, PogimonXP1 and others have managed to record the episodes of the original run in '99 - 02 in VHS and the reruns in '07-'08 using their own TV-Tuner.
Some 2008 rerun episode are available to view online but it's still missing a ton of episodes.

OG Airing and 2008 rerun examples:

2000's Airing VHS recordings by UndustFixation (74 and 99) and PogimonXP1 (94 recap and 95):

2008 Rerun recorded by someone many years ago using a TV-Tuner:

Me and my team already have some VHS tapes lying around that we bought online but it's still missing most of the entire dub of the show.

It's still unknown if some fans have managed to keep and preserve their recorded tapes, so if you're a Filipino DB fan and you managed to record some eps or even better, the entire show way back in 1999-2002 or the reruns in 2005-2008, then kindly message me privately so I can give you my Discord and we'll talk about it :D
Last edited by Peenoisedbfanboi on Thu May 30, 2024 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kung ako sa'yo, magi-isip muna ako bago mag-salita!

-Nesty Ramirez as Goku in the Picasso Studios Tagalog Dub, E99

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Project Picasso Z!!! - A Hunt for the Lost Picasso Tagalog Dub of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z!

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 16, 2024 2:33 am

I too would like to hear from any Filipino fans who may have recorded any episodes of this dub, or even the Creative Corp Products English dub, which is also almost entirely lost aside from a handful of Z episodes.

I could definitely see the conflicting stories about whether Dragon Ball Z episodes 45-49 were originally aired in full Tagalog or Tagalish to be another case of the mandela effect as its been so long and most fans would have been so young there's bound to be people misremembering the finer details. If they were airing concurrently with the Piccolo Junior arc though I would guess both were Tagalish as I believe the point was to have a smooth, seemless transition from English to Tagalish and finally Tagalog.

Out of curiosity I actually asked Nesty myself why the language change happened, his guess was that because a lot of foreign series were being dubbed in the local language it was an attempt to reach a wider audience.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Peenoisedbfanboi

Re: Project Picasso Z!!! - A Hunt for the Lost Picasso Tagalog Dub of Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z!

Post by Peenoisedbfanboi » Thu May 16, 2024 6:52 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:33 am I too would like to hear from any Filipino fans who may have recorded any episodes of this dub, or even the Creative Corp Products English dub, which is also almost entirely lost aside from a handful of Z episodes.

I could definitely see the conflicting stories about whether Dragon Ball Z episodes 45-49 were originally aired in full Tagalog or Tagalish to be another case of the mandela effect as its been so long and most fans would have been so young there's bound to be people misremembering the finer details. If they were airing concurrently with the Piccolo Junior arc though I would guess both were Tagalish as I believe the point was to have a smooth, seemless transition from English to Tagalish and finally Tagalog.

Out of curiosity I actually asked Nesty myself why the language change happened, his guess was that because a lot of foreign series were being dubbed in the local language it was an attempt to reach a wider audience.
I've talked to someone that recorded some episodes of this dub but he wasn't willing to share any of it bc he's afraid that some people might profit off of it which is very common here in the Philippines sadly. That's one of the main reasons why there's a lot of lost media content in our country.
Kung ako sa'yo, magi-isip muna ako bago mag-salita!

-Nesty Ramirez as Goku in the Picasso Studios Tagalog Dub, E99