Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 22, 2024 12:12 am

https://twitter.com/torushome/status/17 ... 1AYnA&s=19

https://twitter.com/ToastCrust/status/1 ... f_Y5w&s=19

Fuck this guy, I hope his career is over and we never have to hear from him again.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 22, 2024 12:59 am

The PR is already spinning it out that he's sorry and willing to atone for his mistakes.

So before all the defenders and apologetics come out let's make it clear this man was in his late 60's when this all happened. This wasn't something that happened when he was an angsty hormonal teenager.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Re: Furuya Tooru (Yamcha) Admits to Physically Abusing Woman He Had An Affair With

Post by perucho1990 » Wed May 22, 2024 1:00 am

If Yamcha was going to show up on Daima then now Toei is forced to replace him.

Man I'm in shocked for what happened, really really disappointing.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed May 22, 2024 2:31 am

Toei and Bandai Namco better recast Yamcha and re-record to remove all of his work on Daima and Sparking Zero.

Mostly for Daima, because it'd be really a shame that Toriyama-sensei's last work of Dragon Ball is tainted with this scoundrel's voice work.

Part of the original cast or not, this scoundrel should be out of the franchise right now.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 22, 2024 2:57 am

Yeah, infidelity is bad enough but men harming women and forcing abortions on them is disgusting. I'm all for Yamcha getting the recast treatment.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed May 22, 2024 7:53 am

Forced woman he had affair with to do abortion...may i remind he is also married? https://myanimelist.net/people/6240/Satomi_Majima
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 22, 2024 8:39 am

coola wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:53 am Forced woman he had affair with to do abortion...may i remind he is also married? https://myanimelist.net/people/6240/Satomi_Majima
This is just... sickening and outright cruelty by any stretch of the imagination. As men we can never understand what women go through in pregnancy and can only empatize with and support them. Its sad to see there are people out there who don't show them that level of dignity and respect. I get everyone makes mistakes but this is indefensible.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Wed May 22, 2024 9:02 am

If it were an affair, whatever, personal matters between two consenting adults.
Forcing his partner to terminate her pregnancy and attacking her, though? Absolutely inexcusable.

While it pains me, because I'm major Gundam fan, where he plays the de facto protagonist, I wouldn't be happy with him voicing his characters again. This goes beyond petty Twitter meltdowns, it's actually criminal.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed May 22, 2024 9:58 am

BlueChi wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:02 am If it were an affair, whatever, personal matters between two consenting adults.
Nah, that would still be bad because his wife wouldn't consent to that. Though the abuse obviously does nothing but dig his hole much deeper than it would already be.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed May 22, 2024 10:19 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:59 am The PR is already spinning it out that he's sorry and willing to atone for his mistakes.
If he's genuinely sorry and willing to atone then he should have no issue with facing the consequences of his actions.

But I doubt that's genuine. It comes off more like "I said I'm sorry and willing to atone so please don't make me suffer any consequences that could hurt my livelihood".

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 am

Dr. Casey wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:58 am
BlueChi wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:02 am If it were an affair, whatever, personal matters between two consenting adults.
Nah, that would still be bad because his wife wouldn't consent to that. Though the abuse obviously does nothing but dig his hole much deeper than it would already be.
Infidelity is also an abhorrent act of disrespect. Obviously sleeping with someone else is not as bad as harming any woman but its like Robo4900 likes to say would you rather have a broken neck or a broken wrist? One doesn't hurt as much as the other, but ideally you'd want neither, as is the case with any woman in a relationship. Her partner may not assault her but cheating is still depriving her of the love and loyalty she deserves. Any man who does it (or anyone in general) is a coward for not taking the initiative to have a conversation to explain why he feels things aren't working. It might be hard for some, but ultimately in doing so the person your dating is spared a far greater deal of pain and sorrow, which always comes when they find out.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:20 am

I assume that there's been no official statement made about this by Toei or affiliated parties as of yet, so it remains to be seen how they will ultimately go about this from a legal standpoint. I figure they haven't dealt with that many situations like this involving their contracted seiyuu talent in scandals very often and so it is unknown right now if they will terminate Furuya and recast/redub Yamcha and other roles of his going forward in future Dragon Ball projects and otherwise, more or less something along the lines of what FUNimation did with Vic Mignogna a few years back after all the stuff about him came out as he was terminated from his contract with them and Broly (among others that Vic voiced) was recast granted it's not quite the same deal given that the former is a much more more notable character than the latter but you see the point.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 22, 2024 11:51 am

I am not defending his actions but I have learned it is important to make a difference between judging actions and the person behind the actions. Betraying someone and using violence is the complete opposite of my values and shouldn't be anyone's values.Even so, it doesn't mean I wish the person doing it ill. I hope he tries to make up for this and decides to get help to change.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 22, 2024 12:26 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:19 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:59 am The PR is already spinning it out that he's sorry and willing to atone for his mistakes.
If he's genuinely sorry and willing to atone then he should have no issue with facing the consequences of his actions.

But I doubt that's genuine. It comes off more like "I said I'm sorry and willing to atone so please don't make me suffer any consequences that could hurt my livelihood".
Oh, it's definitely not genuine. Man is 70 years old. He's sorry he got called out

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 pm

To me, Toru Furuya will remain Yamcha, Seiya etc.... i don't see anything that can justify him being recast except if he goes in jail before episodes recordings.

His voice and his work have nothing to do with the asshole human being behind it
i basically don't agree with everything he could have do in his "private life" but it's a justice matter that we have nothing to do or say.

Even if he is an asshole, he just have to legaly paid for that BUT what i just can't understand is why people could not bear a voice actor to keep his work because of what he is doing in his private life when they just don't say/do anything against politics that are doing worst everyday.

how many politics have raped/stole etc and can freely keep their work all around the world and it's okay?

a voice is a voice, a work is a work , the man behind the voice have nothing to do with the job he is doing
else why would criminals, /sexual delinquant should get a job?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed May 22, 2024 1:16 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 pm Even if he is an asshole, he just have to legaly paid for that BUT what i just can't understand is why people could not bear a voice actor to keep his work because of what he is doing in his private life when they just don't say/do anything against politics that are doing worst everyday.
1. So people are free to harm others as long as they keep it private?

2. There's plenty of people that rail against awful politicians and awful actors. Maybe awful voice actors are more the focus here because this is a Dragon Ball forum and said voice actors have prominent roles in Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Wed May 22, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 22, 2024 1:17 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 pm To me, Toru Furuya will remain Yamcha, Seiya etc.... i don't see anything that can justify him being recast except if he goes in jail before episodes recordings.

His voice and his work have nothing to do with the asshole human being behind it
i basically don't agree with everything he could have do in his "private life" but it's a justice matter that we have nothing to do or say.

Even if he is an asshole, he just have to legaly paid for that BUT what i just can't understand is why people could not bear a voice actor to keep his work because of what he is doing in his private life when they just don't say/do anything against politics that are doing worst everyday.

how many politics have raped/stole etc and can freely keep their work all around the world and it's okay?

a voice is a voice, a work is a work , the man behind the voice have nothing to do with the job he is doing
Posts like these are a big part of why we women don't feel comfortable around men.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 22, 2024 1:19 pm

Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 pm To me, Toru Furuya will remain Yamcha, Seiya etc.... i don't see anything that can justify him being recast except if he goes in jail before episodes recordings.

You (and others who largely trot this out in bad faith) seem to assume that people can't care about more than one thing at a time, and aren't already doing advocacy/professional/protest work in these (or other equally-important) areas.

It's a Dragon Ball forum, so the conversation is about Toriyama-adjacent material. We're not set up to handle off-topic discussions about, say, the overdose epidemic in America... which is something I feel strongly about and work on for my "real life" job, but don't bring up here in conversation because -- unless Toyotaro suddenly does a "very special episode" -- it's not relevant to what we're talking about.

I argue that it's important to have strong feelings about issues like Furuya's each-paragraph-is-worse-than-the-last situation here because he's in a position of power: hand-waving it and allowing him to continue the work (which is literally is the backbone of the power dynamics in this relationship) reinforces that behavior as OK, and perpetuates it. This isn't just "aww sowwy I did a criminal thing hewerre". See also: mother fucking Watsuki still having a job. Separate the art from the artist? Fuck that and fuck him.

And fuck Furuya.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Joujou
Banned

Post by Joujou » Wed May 22, 2024 1:24 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:16 pm
Joujou wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 pm Even if he is an asshole, he just have to legaly paid for that BUT what i just can't understand is why people could not bear a voice actor to keep his work because of what he is doing in his private life when they just don't say/do anything against politics that are doing worst everyday.
1. So people are free to be awful human beings as long as they keep it private?

absolutely not, but basicaly you have "justice" for that case, he have to pay for that of course he if he really did it but WE are not judge, and it have nothing to do in his "voice actor" job that is a litteraly different things

2. There's plenty of people that rail against awful politicians and awful actors. Maybe awful voice actors are more the focus here because this is a Dragon Ball forum and said voice actors have prominent roles in Dragon Ball.
a voice is a voice, no matter the people behind, a job is a job, you have "justice" to judge the thing, public are not judge
Take the Johnny Deep case, it's so messy that you can't really and perfectly know what happened but only because he was "accused" he litteraly get blacklisted everywhere no matter the truth

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 22, 2024 1:28 pm

Furuya literally admitted to all of this on the record and made his own public statement.

Are you reading anything at all? Anything?

You can't be for real.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::