Otakon '08

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Otakon '08

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:32 pm

So that time of year is almost upon us yet again. Otakon 2008 is less than a month away, and I figured it's about time someone made a thread for discussing any Daizexer meet-up plans or group activities or whatever the hell anyone wants to do. I'm pretty sure Mike already informed us that DaizEX itself doesn't have a panel of any kind this year.

By some miracle, my group managed to get our rooms a good hotel within walking distance of the Convention Center, so I personally, will be there and about all three days. If all goes well, I'll be sporting a half-decent cosplay of "live-action Son Goku," so hopefully that'll be an easy way to spot me, though I don't know if I'll be wearing it all three days. Definitely be wearing it to the JAM Project concert though, and probably Otakurave. Aside from a few panels and, of course, the aforementioned concert, I'll probably end up spending most of my time in the Dealer's Room and the gaming room.

As for events, I don't believe the con's site has a full schedule up for view or download yet (I can't find one, at least). But they do have a general list of panels and such. So barring any schedule conflicts between them, these are the ones that have caught my interest and I'll be trying my best to attend:

FUNimation Announcements
JAM Project Q&A
Anime's Pirate Legacy & 10 Years of One Piece
Dubs That Time Forgot
Old Fart's Anime Appreciation
Phoenix Wright Mock Trial
Sonic the Hedgehog Through the Years
"Bleep! Uncensored Outtakes! (18+)"

I'm assuming most of us will be trying to make it to the JAM Project concert, at least. Look forward to seeing some of you guys there.

Someone oughta make a big sign that says "DAIZEX" or something.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Oh boy~ ^^

A bunch of friends and I will be cosplaying a few DB characters. We've got the lovely and talented sisters, QuantumDestiny and Glay, in tow, so it's pretty much going to be epic. <3 And, uh, I'm going to be cosplaying Oorin robes!Kuririn, as well as Saiya-jin and Cell arcs gi!Kuririn. o_O (Yay bald cap!)

We've also got a 40th Anniversary SJ One Piece/Dragon Ball crossover cosplay group thing going on for Sunday. The costumes are based on those sexy Banpresto figures. ^^ (I'm going to be Luffy in Goku's gi.)

Oh yeah, and even though the Otakon site doesn't have it listed (yet), Glay, our friend Kat, and I will be hosting a DB panel. O_O Stop on by!

JAM Project, possibly in costume, rocking out to possible One Piece or DB songs...? Yay!
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:49 pm

Girlz on Ballz.

Saturday 7pm-8pm.

Anyway, yeah myself and a bunch of other cosplayer friends have created a huge DragonBall entourage for Otakon! I'll be looking out for you Kaboom! Especially for Jam Project. ^_^ Whahaha train, you only have 20 days until the Saiya-jin arrive.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 pm

QuantumDestiny wrote:Whahaha train, you only have 20 days until the Saiya-jin arrive.
I shall, but damn, I thought it was only Piccolo Daimao in the first movie. Think I'm toast. :shock:

...burnt toa--*harpooned*
deviantART
[thread]

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:01 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
QuantumDestiny wrote:Whahaha train, you only have 20 days until the Saiya-jin arrive.
I shall, but damn, I thought it was only Piccolo Daimao in the first movie. Think I'm toast. :shock:

...burnt toa--*harpooned*
D'oh, you're right! Quick you gotta find the room of spirit and time. BOY I wish I had that right now so I could finish everything I want to!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:58 am

You lucky people! Boy I wish I was old enough to get my drivers license or was allowed to buy a plane ticket to such an event. :cry:

Any way, I was looking through the activity listings for Otakon '08 and saw that there was a "DragonBall (All-Series 1st gathering)" and a "DragonBall (All-Series 2nd gathering)". Does anyone familiar with this convention know what goes on at these "gatherings"? And if it is possible for one of you privileged people who are going to Otakon this year to stop by one of these cult gatherings and snap a few pictures that would only fuel my jealousy at you for being there that would be great!

Have fun guys and don't forget to take lots of nice pictures! :D

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:16 am

Hmmm... Where did you see that? In what section?

They must be adding stuff every once in a while, because I just now noticed Makafushigi: The Ultimate All-in-One Dragonball Panel on the list.
deviantART
[thread]

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:17 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Hmmm... Where did you see that? In what section?

They must be adding stuff every once in a while, because I just now noticed Makafushigi: The Ultimate All-in-One Dragonball Panel on the list.
The gatherings are cosplay gatherings, for photos and general clowning around in DB garb. 8D

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:51 am

kinoko wrote:

The gatherings are cosplay gatherings, for photos and general clowning around in DB garb. 8D
Neato. Where are they listed on the site?
deviantART
[thread]

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:02 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Neato. Where are they listed on the site?
I thought they'd have a list of all the gatherings somewhere on the Otakon forums, but I can't seem to find it.

So... here's a thread over at cosplay.com. ^^ (It's in the first reply.)

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:15 pm

I found them on a forum, under Friday and Saturday, in the post about gatherings: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/cosplay ... 9718783_6/

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Damn, I really wanna see JAM Project.
Trans rights, now!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 am

So yeah! Con is in a week! JAM Project is going to be huge... makes the most sense for a big get-together-and-enjoyment to me. Definitely going to hit kinoko-&-co's panel assuming I'm not tied up elsewhere. Also going to try and hit these DB cosplay gatherings for tons of pictures.

How about a general tally of who is going to the con?

Much excitement for this year...!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:03 pm

I'd like to go, but my only reason for going would be to see JAM Project. Can you definitely get into the concert or is it limited to a certain amount of people? I've never been to a con so I'm not really sure how it works. Actually, I don't even know if tickets are still available. :P
Trans rights, now!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:47 pm

SonEric84 wrote:I'd like to go, but my only reason for going would be to see JAM Project. Can you definitely get into the concert or is it limited to a certain amount of people? I've never been to a con so I'm not really sure how it works. Actually, I don't even know if tickets are still available. :P
I don't know that they've announced ticket plans yet. By attending the con / paying for your badge, you can go see the show. For L'Arc a few years back, all you had to do was get your badge stamped the morning of the show, and that was your "ticket". The show is down in the arena so there is not much chance of it REALLY being full.

There are TONS of reasons to go to the con though... Totally go.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:57 pm

I'll be there. The JAM Project concert is Friday, right? I don't see a time listed anywhere... We'll be getting to the con early that afternoon, so I guess I'll pretty much have to get right in line. Guess I won't know for sure until I've got the schedule in my hands at the con.

Aside from that, I'll be hitting the DB panels, and trying to make it to the DB cosplay gatherings.
deviantART
[thread]

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:I'd like to go, but my only reason for going would be to see JAM Project. Can you definitely get into the concert or is it limited to a certain amount of people? I've never been to a con so I'm not really sure how it works. Actually, I don't even know if tickets are still available. :P
I don't know that they've announced ticket plans yet. By attending the con / paying for your badge, you can go see the show. For L'Arc a few years back, all you had to do was get your badge stamped the morning of the show, and that was your "ticket". The show is down in the arena so there is not much chance of it REALLY being full.

There are TONS of reasons to go to the con though... Totally go.

Oh alright, thanks for the info. I guess now seeing if I'll have the funds to follow through is my only problem. Damn rent and bills.
Trans rights, now!

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 am

I'm definitely going to Otakon next weekend.... a whole bunch of my friends are going up for the JAM Project concert as well. That is going to rock so much.
SSj Kaboom wrote:I'll be there. The JAM Project concert is Friday, right? I don't see a time listed anywhere... We'll be getting to the con early that afternoon, so I guess I'll pretty much have to get right in line. Guess I won't know for sure until I've got the schedule in my hands at the con.
Currently, the concert is scheduled to start at 8pm at the 1st Mariner Arena. (The time is subject to change between now and next week.)

I've been told that there won't be too much of a need to wait outside in line for the concert, especially since the weather's still going to be pretty hot. (mid-to-upper 80s) I think there'll be lots of time to mingle and meet everybody before the concert inside the arena. :)

This is going to be so much fun. I hope to see some of you there!
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:13 am

Alright, the cosplay gatherings/photo shoots are as follows:

FRIDAY
8:00 PM in front of the Fountains

SATURDAY
5:00 PM in front of the Fountains

...I've never been to Otakon before, so I have no idea where the Fountains are. ^^;;

I'd also like to add that the JAM Project concert conflicts with the Friday photo shoot. (...I'm definitely going to the concert.) If anything changes with regards to the Friday cosplay gathering, I'll let you all know.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:44 am

FYI, I'll have "Kaboom" under my name on my badge. >_>
Brakus wrote:I've been told that there won't be too much of a need to wait outside in line for the concert, especially since the weather's still going to be pretty hot. (mid-to-upper 80s) I think there'll be lots of time to mingle and meet everybody before the concert inside the arena. :)
Here's hoping. I saw some of those lines for stuff last year, and boy howdy. Better make sure my DS is charged, just in case. O_o
kinoko wrote:I'd also like to add that the JAM Project concert conflicts with the Friday photo shoot. (...I'm definitely going to the concert.)
Ditto. Looks like Saturday is when I'll be in full costume then.
deviantART
[thread]