Otakon '08

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:41 am

Ugh, I wanted to go this year, but I didn't realize it would conflict with a previous vacation plan. I'll be down in North Carolina for a week when Otakon happens.

-Corey

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:16 am

People should go attend this panel:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=69397

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:16 am

Quick update: Otakon finally posted an easy-to-read grid-format schedule on their website, and according to it, the JAM Project concert is scheduled to start at 7:30pm, not 8 or 9 as previously tentatively announced.

This definitely kills all chance of my attending the first showing of the AMV contest on Friday night - I'm gonna jump in line with the rest of you for the concert!

EDIT: Uurgh. Jim Vowles of Otakon clarified that 7:30pm would be the latest the arena doors would open, and that the concert is still scheduled for 8:00pm. I'll still be waiting in line, regardless, with you all. :)
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:04 pm

*comes out of hiding*

I will DEFINITELY be at Otakon weekend. I probably won't be at the Friday cosplay shoot, considering it's the same time as JAM Project (aka, the reson I decided to go).

I'll probably be at most of the panels mentioned.. and I'll definitely be at the DB panel Saturday night... especially considering it's all I've been hearing about for the last couple of weeks! :P

I'll be in cosplay all weekend, as such:

Friday: Bulma (First appearance)
Saturday: Ed Elric / Son Goten (orange gi)
Sunday: Goku as Luffy (40th anniversary figure)

Feel free to stop me and say hello!
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

wolf

Post by wolf » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Sorry I havent been on the forums much. Real life has taken most of my time.

Yea, sucks about AMV and concert around the same time.

I'll be there as well but not in any of my Dragonball cosplay (Yamcha needs repaired badly). I'll be either as Katara or Meryl from MGS. So if you see me go ahead say hi. Hopefully I'll see you guys at the Jam Project concert!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:59 am

If anyone can put up videos for the JAM Project Concert, that'll be great appreciated. Hope you guys have enjoyed it. I wanted to go, but it's too much on my budget right now.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:46 pm

Oh my god I sang along with Hironobu Kageyama live my life is complete :D

Also stupid AMV contest wouldn't show the parody/trailer category on the second day due to legal issues? Wtf is that.

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:55 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:If anyone can put up videos for the JAM Project Concert, that'll be great appreciated. Hope you guys have enjoyed it. I wanted to go, but it's too much on my budget right now.
Well, since video pictures were strictly forbidden, I don't think that'll be possible. Unless they decide to release an official DVD of the program. I know there were cameras, but I'm not sure if it was just to project images onto the video screens on either side of the stage, or if they were actually recording.

And the concert was FANTASTIC! I will confess, some time into it I was starting to feel a little tired. I had gotten very little sleep the night before, had stood in line in the hot sun, and the guy next to me was jumping around and waving glow sticks, completely ignorant of the fact that he was knocking into me. But then Hironobu Kageyama took the stage and announced he'd be singing a song. As he described the song, saying stuff like, "you might know this one" and "it's from 1989" my heart raced, and I thought, Cha La Head Cha La!

Sure enough, it was. And I swear, it was like magic. All the tiredness was sucked out of my body, and replaced by joy and energy and a feeling of, well...fun. Then the other artists sang their songs and damn...if the theme song to GaoGaiGar isn't incredibly catchy! Well, they didn't all sing their individual anime theme songs at that time. Hiroshi Kitadani sang "We Are!" a bit later in the show.

I also really enjoyed Jam Project's panel. It was all extremely entertaining, but my favorite part was when an audience member asked them each to give their best "scream for justice". After it was translated, Kageyama smiled, lifted up his fist, and shouted "SPARKING!", to which I (and a lot of other people) cheered. The others then followed suit, using catch phrases from their own anime songs.

And I got their autographs at the Bandai booth, and shook their hands! YAY! What a great con. Well, that's it. I might post more Dragonball related stuff later, or I might not.

Sabin Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sabin Deus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Sedorna wrote:Then the other artists sang their songs and damn...if the theme song to GaoGaiGar isn't incredibly catchy!
Ga ga ga ga ga ga Gao Gai Gar!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 am

Sabin Deus wrote:Oh my god I sang along with Hironobu Kageyama live my life is complete :D
Sedorna wrote:But then Hironobu Kageyama took the stage and announced he'd be singing a song. As he described the song, saying stuff like, "you might know this one" and "it's from 1989" my heart raced, and I thought, Cha La Head Cha La!

Sure enough, it was. And I swear, it was like magic. All the tiredness was sucked out of my body, and replaced by joy and energy and a feeling of, well...fun. Then the other artists sang their songs and damn...if the theme song to GaoGaiGar isn't incredibly catchy! Well, they didn't all sing their individual anime theme songs at that time. Hiroshi Kitadani sang "We Are!" a bit later in the show.
Hehe, yeah, the whole time he was dropping the hints I was like, "oh man oh man oh man I know what it is I know what it is" and then he started it, and... I seriously hurt my voice from a combination of screaming like crazy, and singing along to that and We Are. Two nights later, I still can barely manage to speak at an audible level.
Sedorna wrote:I also really enjoyed Jam Project's panel. It was all extremely entertaining, but my favorite part was when an audience member asked them each to give their best "scream for justice". After it was translated, Kageyama smiled, lifted up his fist, and shouted "SPARKING!", to which I (and a lot of other people) cheered. The others then followed suit, using catch phrases from their own anime songs.
Aw man, really? That sounds awesome. I couldn't make it to the panel, but I got their autographs later.

Anyway, got back to Jersey from the con a few hours ago. Posted pics of my cosplay here and a list of stuff I bought here.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:42 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Aw man, really? That sounds awesome. I couldn't make it to the panel, but I got their autographs later.
Oh, yeah. Here are a few more panel highlights, according to me.

Masaki Endoh announced his plan to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for saying the syllable "ga" the most times in a song. 125, in fact.

Masami Okui was asked who her musical influences were. She then said that one of them was in the room right now. As if to sheepishly admit, he was the influence, Hiroshi Kitadani stood up. For those of you who don't know, he's actually the youngest member of JAM Project. The actual influence was Hironobu Kageyama.

Unfortunately, I didn't quite see who gave this answer. I think it might have been Masaki Endoh, but I could be wrong. It was either him or Hiroshi Kitadani. They were next to each other and I didn't see who it was, and I don't recognize their voices all that well. The panelists were asked what kind of music they liked, and one them replied, "I like old music...like Cha La Head Cha La." Kageyama laughed and pretended to reach out and hit the offender. I wish I had had a better view. Then Kageyama admitted that yes, it was an old song. (But it's still a great song!)

Oh, and I now have a crush on Yoshiki Fukuyama.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:05 am

Did Masami Okui sing Shuffle, if I may ask? If she did, I'mma hate myself forever for not being able to go this year.

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Did Masami Okui sing Shuffle, if I may ask? If she did, I'mma hate myself forever for not being able to go this year.
No, she didn't.

Oh, and they made a small announcement. Apparently, they're going to be doing the theme for the newest Sgt. Frog movie.

Misa-chan

Post by Misa-chan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:26 am

Auuuugh I missed the concert because I had to do my J-Drama Panel at 9pm. :< One day they'll come back to the U.S. right? RIGHT??

But I did get to hang out with some awesome cosplayers after the panel! I was dressed as bunny Bulma the first half of Sunday lol. I picked up Shenlong & Majin Buu plushies in the Dealer's Room. I thought I would never waste my money on those things again until I saw Dragon Ball ones.