Earth's Last Hope (Otakon 2008 AMV)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Earth's Last Hope (Otakon 2008 AMV)

Post by Brakus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:44 am

Here is my AMV for this year's contest at Otakon. This was my fifth year trying to make it into the contest... and when I found out I would be a finalist in the contest this year, I was shocked and thrilled.

Video: Earth's Last Hope (a-m-v.org link)
(also available on YouTube)
Category: Action
Anime: DragonBall Z
Song: Without a Fight
Artist: Hoobastank
Creator: Brakus

To see this shown on the big screen in the biggest video room at Otakon on Saturday afternoon was an absolutely exciting experience, and indeed, a very proud moment for myself. It was neat to see this compete with the other videos using much newer material. It finished 3rd in the popular vote in its category (action) at the convention, which has made it now my favorite video I've made so far. In this day and age, long after DBZ has left Cartoon Network, a very effective DBZ action video can still be made with the right song and the right scenes at the right times.

This video is competing in a few other contests at other conventions around the country, so if you see this video, first - thanks! And second, please remember to be impartial! :) Enjoy.
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 am

That was really good, no wonder it made it to the Finals at Otakon. I especially liked the bits where you had the scenes flash in rythm with the snare drum in the background. Also, nice Podcast reference in the end, although I didn't really get why you used that line.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Brakus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brakus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:That was really good, no wonder it made it to the Finals at Otakon. I especially liked the bits where you had the scenes flash in rythm with the snare drum in the background.
The thing at the beginning and after the 1st chorus was fun to put together, I'll admit. However, I was amazed at how much editing there was to synching stuff to beats and musical phrases and such. :)
Also, nice Podcast reference in the end, although I didn't really get why you used that line.
Scott Melzer's quote from Episode 4 pretty much sums up DBZ for many people, and I found it to be one of the most memorable quotes/moments from the Podcast. I put it in there more as a "silent" shoutout to Mike & Meri (and Scott as well).
- J

"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. That is the secret of life."
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero