Which dub character reasonably matches the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:28 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Ah, yes, I agree about Goten and Trunks. Both are good examples of what I said about not having to match the original voice to still be good and fitting.
Edward's Goten doesn't match the original's at all in a vocal sense, but he does A) sound like a kid and B) behaves like Nozawa's Goten, and that's pretty much all that matters to me.

She's still improving, even. Y'know, when I first got my hands on the dub of Movie 10, I almost wasn't sure that it was Edwards because both Goten and Videl sounded better than I remembered-- the series dub had wrapped up a few years prior, an' all.
SSj Kaboom wrote:Also, Babidi. Actually, I really dislike Babidi's Japanese voice. That' whiny, weasely sound... ugh.
o_O;;
DBHighDefinition wrote:And i think Stepahanie Nadolny should get some attention as well with her role as Goku. I thought that she was outstanding in Dragon Ball, just nailing Goku's role, catching pretty much every aspect of his personality perfectly IMO.
Stephanie Nadolny is fantastic no matter what. Strangely, her Gohan is probably the least impressive out of the lot, because both her versions of Goku-- DB and GT-- are so damned good.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 pm

I think Mr. Satan in the dub was pretty good, though not so much in GT where he settled down a little in his old age, FUNimation kept him the same.

I like Daemon Clarke's Perfect Cell, but I think the script and direction kept him from being truly great, though first form Cell was pretty spot on (though the "BLEEHHHR" was missing)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:(though the "BLEEHHHR" was missing)
. . . the . . . the what, now?

~Da Lemmy

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:19 pm

I think Mr Sonny played a great Bardock...he just had horrible lines to work with.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:24 pm

The dub Mr Satan was very Daisuke Gōri, so hats off to Chris Rager for that. One of the few dub voices I really enjoy rather than accept. Oh, Kyle Hebert's Saiyaman is a hoot too.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:51 pm

Raki wrote:I think Mr Sonny played a great Bardock...he just had horrible lines to work with.
Pretty much, yeah.
Captain Awesome wrote:(though the "BLEEHHHR" was missing)
I've been thinking about it since earlier. By BLEEHHHR, do you mean that retarded-sounding guttural "blah" noise that the Japanese version's first-form Cell makes every now and then?

I like that thing. :D
Sprite Satan wrote:The dub Mr Satan was very Daisuke Gōri, so hats off to Chris Rager for that. One of the few dub voices I really enjoy rather than accept.
"NOOOOOOOW, YELL IF YOU LOVE MEEEEEEEE!!"

~Da Lemmy

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:00 pm

I think some of the actors did fantastic jobs at the characters's mannerisms.

Sean Schemmel had Goku's childish side nailed same with Stephany Nadonly

Same with Sonny Straight's Krillin, he got Krillin's mannerisms down flat.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 pm

Actually, the only things stopping me from putting Sonny Strait and Stephanie Nadolny on this list are the way their characters were written. Kuririn's too surfer-dude-ish throughout the Freeza and Cell Sagas, and a lot of his dialogue is terrible. And as loveable a voice/performance Stephanie Nadolny gives young Goku, the script isn't quite faithful enough to the entire character. The speech quirk's gone and he still sounds a teensy tad too smart for Goku, even if it's not as smart as DBZ's dub made him.

Had it not been for the way they were written, I'd definitely nominate them.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Goten's voice was a wee bit different in his first few episodes
So was Laura Bailey's Trunks, now that I think about it. It was a bit too much like her Shin-chan in her first few episodes with the character.

But I'm with you in that I was first exposed to both of them through the dub and I instantly fell in love with the little guys thanks to the women that played them.
Vekurotto wrote:While I agree with Tapion and #13 why'd you put Tullece. I'm not disputing it at all, I agree, but I'm kinda wondering if we're thinking about the same thing. Is it that he's not as maniacal or is it that he just plain isn't running the "What if Goku was evil" scenario like the movie supposed to portray.
For me, it's a mixture of things. As far as ADR direction and acting go, FUNi's movie 3 dub is fantastic. Script-wise, though, it gets my vote for FUNimation's worst dub ever. There are maybe three lines in the dub that even resemble the original Japanese script. Even the Freeza Saga fared better than that.

So, my first problem with dub Tullece is his dialogue. The original Tullece is actually one of the more complex movie villians we get in a DBZ film. Ever since he arrives, he starts playing mind games with Goku and Gohan, alienating them about both their heritage and Goku's willingness to defend his new home. It's all very subtle, and it's a little too much like what Vegeta and Raditz were doing, but at least he has some sort of character trait.

In the dub, all of that is gone. He's turned into a uninteresting broken record spouting nothing but "I can't be beaten" lines throughout the whole film. I mean, we wouldn't even have a clue what his motivations were if it weren't for the fact that the animation confirms that he's here to grow the tree. None of his already small personality is intact in the dub.

Another thing is his voice. I actually think Chris Patton did a good job, performance wise. He was actually pretty good. But why couldn't FUNi just copy the original and have Sean Schemmel voice him? I'm sure he could've done an evil Goku; that was part of the character's original charm.

With his lines completely butchered and his voice lacking the charming gimmick the original had, Tullece is one of the characters least faithfully adapted in the dub.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:09 pm

I just don't understand why FUNi used Pioneer's awesome, uncut, accurate scripts for their redubs of movies 2 and 3, but skipped out and used their own bullcrap for movie 3. It's a shame, it would have been a great product for the new Remastered movies line. Glad I'm keeping my Pioneer copy. :D
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I like Daemon Clarke's Perfect Cell, but I think the script and direction kept him from being truly great, though first form Cell was pretty spot on (though the "BLEEHHHR" was missing)
This. Freaking this. Daemon Clarke's Imperfect Cell is amazing to me. His Semi-Perfect Cell is ok and I'm cool with his Perfect Cell but his Imperfect Cell? Freaking flawless. Watch the episode where he fights Krillin and is about to kill him.

Imperfect Cell: "A valiant effort Krillin...but all in vain. Hm? We have company. How rude of them to interrupt us. This time...you're lucky. What a shame we won't get to know each other today. *flies away leaving Krillin shitting his pants*

Best line ever. (In my opinion)
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:29 pm

How could we forget Brice Armstrong? What a guy, and what a voice. His narrator for Dragon Ball is flawless.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:44 pm

^DBHD, you speak the truth. He is easily the best narrator for a cartoon I've heard recently.

Why wasn't he in DBZ? Ignoring the whole "they hadn't hired him" yet thing, and the "EXTREEM" dub stuff.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:How could we forget Brice Armstrong? What a guy, and what a voice. His narrator for Dragon Ball is flawless.
Internet cookies for you!

Armstrong is truly the most awesome of voice actors, espicially his Ginyû.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:59 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote: I've been thinking about it since earlier. By BLEEHHHR, do you mean that retarded-sounding guttural "blah" noise that the Japanese version's first-form Cell makes every now and then?
That's exactly what I meant, It's a little hard to write down :P.

"Bleaahh!"
Chrono Trigger wrote:Imperfect Cell: "A valiant effort Krillin...but all in vain. Hm? We have company. How rude of them to interrupt us. This time...you're lucky. What a shame we won't get to know each other today. *flies away leaving Krillin shitting his pants*
I'm not familiar with the line (I can't stand the dub, so I only spot check it once in a blue moon) but I'll agree with you that Imperfect Cell was probably the greatest dub voice ever.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:04 am

Chrono Trigger wrote:This. Freaking this. Daemon Clarke's Imperfect Cell is amazing to me. His Semi-Perfect Cell is ok and I'm cool with his Perfect Cell but his Imperfect Cell? Freaking flawless.
Y'know, I kinda gotta agree with ya there; I've always liked his Imperfect Cell. This is one of those things where I think FUNimation made the right move concerning making a change to the original version-- Norio Wakamoto's version is all right, but I think the differing forms requires that Cell's voice be different from stage to stage to illustrate his evolution into perfection. And Clarke did a great job with making the voice match Cell's bug face.
JulieYBM wrote:Armstrong is truly the most awesome of voice actors, espicially his Ginyû.
I agree. Brice Armstrong > Dale Kelly

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:04 am

Clarke is really good as Perfect Cell, too, especially Super Perfect.

"They just keep lining up to die."

"Why don't you just stay down?!"

"No chance! You have NO CHANCE!"
Trunks & Goten forever

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:11 am

I agree with what Captain Awesome said earlier about the scripting and direction keeping Clarke from being a great Cell. He's good, I think-- he matches with the character well and does a good job of diversifying Cell's various forms with his range, but there's just one or two things holding him back from being . . . well, perfect. :D

Still, Clarke has wonderful delivery when he's given good lines to work with. There are plenty of lines that make me think he is Cell, especially during the Cell Games.
Captain Awesome wrote:That's exactly what I meant, It's a little hard to write down :P

"Bleaahh!"
Know what else I miss? There's the moment when No. 17 is protesting against Cell, and Wakamoto goes "blah blah blah blah blah . . ."

I had fun with that all day. :D

~Da Lemmy

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:37 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Also, Babidi. Actually, I really dislike Babidi's Japanese voice. That' whiny, weasely sound... ugh.
What? Babidi didn't sound anything like that. If anything, that's how the dub voice sounded. o_O

Babidi's Japanese voice sounded like it belonged to an old, runt. Whereas the dub made him sound like a regular, shrimpy shrieker.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:but I think the differing forms requires that Cell's voice be different from stage to stage to illustrate his evolution into perfection.
But Wakamoto DID alter his voice for different forms. Especially with that noise, as mentioned earlier, he'd make in his first form. I certainly also can't see any reason why Cell's second form had to sound like he had cotton in his mouth in the dub, though. o_O

And maybe it's just me, but Cell also seemed to have different mannerisms in his actions and speech with each form. Sorta like how later on Boo's ways of thinking and speaking alter with each different form.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:07 am

Personally I hate Sonny Straight's Krillin! I was never all that big of a Krillin fan, and I can remember really growing to dislike him when I was first exposed the Funimation episodes. I find his Ocean/Blue Water voice more tolerable...

I like Sonny's Bardock though (aside from the corny lines).
Just Saiyan...

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:10 am

SaiyaMel wrote:I find his Ocean/Blue Water voice more tolerable...
Terry's Krillin is unbearable in the Canadian/European dub of the rest of the series. He suddenly forgot how to make Krillin sound normal instead of goofy all the damn time.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]