Silliest defense you've heard of the live-action movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:07 pm

I have not heard anyone say anything even remotely positive about this movie. After seeing the preview, my friends and I, who remember watching the show fondly when we were younger, all shared collective dread over just how fucking terrible this is going to turn out.

When the Speed Racer movie was announced a couple of years ago, I called it right then and there that not only would it be fucking terrible, but it would bomb horribly at the box office as well. Sure enough, when it came out earlier this year, both of those things happened.

I'm gonna go ahead and predict the same for the live-action DBZ movie, though it'll make more than Speed Racer did on opening weekend because the name is much more recognizable here in North America. After that, it will die a horrible death and we will be spared from ever having to hear about or see any sequels being made.

The only sort of shitty thing about that is we won't ever get to see a live-action Vegeta on-screen in any sequels, but hey, maybe it's best for the character if he isn't made a mockery of like Goku and Piccolo are about to be.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:35 pm

At least Speed Racer resembled its source material.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and predict the same for the live-action DBZ movie
Hate to nitpick, but there is no DBZ movie. It's supposed to be based off of Dragon Ball. :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Honestly, the people against the movie say a lot sillier things if my inbox is any indiction.

The term "true fan" and word "gay" pop up in the same email a few hundred times.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:39 pm

JAPPO wrote:Honestly, the people against the movie say a lot sillier things if my inbox is any indiction.
Whatever you say, spin-guy. 8)

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Tsukento wrote:
JAPPO wrote:Honestly, the people against the movie say a lot sillier things if my inbox is any indiction.
Whatever you say, spin-guy. 8)
Why don't you go to any other website and see for yourself. I'm not lying, in fact there's a lot worse.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Please stay on-topic. You agreed to do so prior to registration.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Please stay on-topic. You agreed to do so prior to registration.
Okay.

Silliest thing I heard was "at least Goku will go SSJ."

It's completely untrue, though.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:01 pm

JAPPO wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Please stay on-topic. You agreed to do so prior to registration.
Okay.

Silliest thing I heard was "at least Goku will go SSJ."

It's completely untrue, though.
Sadly, this isn't helped by ignorant news sites mixing up the "Oozaru" transformation with SSJ. I saw one site that posted the picture that was leaked and was calling it the film's "Super Saiyan."

As for the "gay" and "true fan" remarks, I'm sorry. Every fandom has idiots, and I'm sure people on both ends (for and against the film) equally use those terms. Using either only proves that those using them have no means to back up their argument.

-Corey

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:13 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:As for the "gay" and "true fan" remarks, I'm sorry. Every fandom has idiots, and I'm sure people on both ends (for and against the film) equally use those terms. Using either only proves that those using them have no means to back up their argument.
If there's any point in this thread I can get behind and agree with, it's this one. That kind of attitude disgusts me. I try and usually succeed to be a nice, calm and reasonable guy, but when people start whipping out and playing the "true fan" card, I won't hesitate to tell them off for it, no matter which side of the issue they're on.

For all the negativity and such that I may disagree with on this board, I'm at least grateful that (most) everyone has the brains and common decency to refrain from that kind of bullcrap.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:25 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I try and usually succeed to be a nice, calm and reasonable guy, but when people start whipping out and playing the "true fan" card, I won't hesitate to tell them off for it, no matter which side of the issue they're on.
Don't think it ain't gone unnoticed, either; you're usually "nice, calm and reasonable" (and particularly where the live-action movie is concerned) to the point where I'm like, "How does he do that?" This is . . . like, the first time I've ever seen you upset over something to where it looks like you could conceivably tell someone off.

Except for when the Season Sets were first coming out. That was bad. Hell, I think we were all pretty bad back then. :D

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:32 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:For all the negativity and such that I may disagree with on this board, I'm at least grateful that (most) everyone has the brains and common decency to refrain from that kind of bullcrap.
Because by the end of the day, we all know we're all fans of this series in some way or another. We may have our differences, but we all know how to be civil and get a kick out of being able to discuss our views on something we ultimately all love.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:38 pm

Tsukento wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:For all the negativity and such that I may disagree with on this board, I'm at least grateful that (most) everyone has the brains and common decency to refrain from that kind of bullcrap.
Because by the end of the day, we all know we're all fans of this series in some way or another. We may have our differences, but we all know how to be civil and get a kick out of being able to discuss our views on something we ultimately all love.
*clap**clap*
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:44 pm

Yes, and that's exactly why that particular jab irks me so much. We're all fans of the same thing. Whether or not we care for particular little parts or have different views on details shouldn't matter, and it certainly shouldn't cause us to get so personal, or resort to claims of being any more or less of a fan than anyone else. To claim so is just insulting.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:20 am

Tsukento wrote:
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and predict the same for the live-action DBZ movie
Hate to nitpick, but there is no DBZ movie. It's supposed to be based off of Dragon Ball. :P
Posts like this aren't necessary. We (should) all know what we're talking about.

And if you think that this movie will be less fighting and action-oriented and more comedy-based like the actual DB series, think again. It'll be a "Dragonball" adaptation in name only.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:25 am

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:And if you think that this movie will be less fighting and action-oriented and more comedy-based like the actual DB series, think again. It'll be a "Dragonball" adaptation in name only.
Yes, the King Piccolo Saga was a whole barrel of laffs.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:47 am

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: And if you think that this movie will be less fighting and action-oriented and more comedy-based like the actual DB series, think again. It'll be a "Dragonball" adaptation in name only.
Have you actually watched all of DB?, once you get to the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, it's almost completely action oriented.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:12 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote: And if you think that this movie will be less fighting and action-oriented and more comedy-based like the actual DB series, think again. It'll be a "Dragonball" adaptation in name only.
Have you actually watched all of DB?, once you get to the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai, it's almost completely action oriented.
I really don't like this argument much either, and I think I might've listed it on my list of silly defenses, albeit not as high as the others.

It seems to me like Piccolo was the dramatic culmination of Dragonball. Yes, it was more grim. But trying this argument is like saying "Well, the Deathly Hallows was really morbid and depressing, why shouldn't the Philosopher's Stone be too?". You can't just ignore the light-hearted beginnings because of a more mature conclusion.

You have something like 12 out of 16 volumes of really silly Dragonball to honor with this movie. Now, if we were to find out that the movie only got serious in the last 20 minutes or so, that'd be a different story...

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:23 am

"It can't be that bad."

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:18 am

omae no kaasan wrote:"It can't be that bad."
That's half of every fuckin' DragonBall (the Movie) thread right there. The other half is not!green Piccolo and Oozaru Fish. :D

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.