What's your BIGGEST mess-up regarding Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Also, before I really started watching it, my sister (for god knows why) thought Vegeta was really Goku's other son and was named Goken. I can't remember, but I'm sure it didn't take me long to realise otherwise.

Plus, I thought the Super Saiya-jin transformation was permanent, so I was surprised when Goku went back to base form.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Plus, I thought the Super Saiya-jin transformation was permanent, so I was surprised when Goku went back to base form.
Now that you mention it, before I first saw GT I'd heard that SSJ4 was 'permanent'. They probably meant that once Goku had achieved it he could use it at will, but for a while I thought he was permanently pink and furry after that.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Now that you mention it, before I first saw GT I'd heard that SSJ4 was 'permanent'. They probably meant that once Goku had achieved it he could use it at will, but for a while I thought he was permanently pink and furry after that.
So did Goku, if I remember correctly. :D
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:51 pm

I thought Goku and Yamcha were the same person in Dragon Ball Z. :oops:
Get Sponsored. Give Back.

SocialVibe

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:06 pm

DBZGokuSaiyan wrote:I thought Goku and Yamcha were the same person in Dragon Ball Z. :oops:
I remember people thinking that Yamcha was a Saiyan because he dressed like Goku and had wild black hair.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Kendamu wrote:
DBZGokuSaiyan wrote:I thought Goku and Yamcha were the same person in Dragon Ball Z. :oops:
I remember people thinking that Yamcha was a Saiyan because he dressed like Goku and had wild black hair.
Around the time I'd seen up to the Cell arc, I got to play the SNES fighter Hyper Dimension. I didn't know why Yamcha was featured as a fighter. Years later I realized it was Gohan wearing the Kame gi.
Last edited by MisterFlashdude on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 pm

Also, I first got into DBZ during the Cell Games saga, and in the Toonami intro, they showed that scene from Vegeta's vision pre-Android saga where Goku and Trunks transform and at first I thought, "Whoah, is that guy in the blue another one of Goku's sons?!"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:54 am

I originally thought Vegetto was Vegeta’s brother. I saw his name online but CN was only into the Freeza Saga at that point so I probably didn’t want to spoil it by reading his actual bio the same way I’d done with the Bulma/Vegeta relationship (which made no sense at the time, BTW) and assumed that the similar name implied kinship.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:44 pm

I miss those things. They had quizzes on random pieces of DB information, some for beginners(Who is Vegeta?), intermediates(How old is Goku when Z starts?), and advanced(What does the symbol on Oolong's house mean before he begins traveling with Goku and Bulma?)
Glad you enjoyed them. I wrote them. :wink:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:01 pm

And I was also one of the many people who thought Goku and Yamcha were brothers because of Yamcha's appearance.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: What's your BIGGEST mess-up regarding Dragonball?

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:19 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:What's your biggest screw-up? (Names, Sagas, Covers, etc;) Mine goes as follows:

So, how about you?
Dragonball Z getting dubbed.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Sometime in 2000, before I had seen anything from the Cell saga, I tried drawing a picture of Cell. I didn't have any ONE picture to use as suitable reference, so I tried to piece his design together from several small pictures. I remember that one was even a screenshot of Super Butoden 2 from an old issue of Game Players.

In the end, I drew something that had parts of all his forms in a single design. It was only later that year that I redrew him correctly.

In a similar drawing-related incident, I drew a re-creation of Goku punching through Piccolo Daimao. Not being that familiar with Daimao at the time, I just drew him like I'd draw Piccolo. I eventually re-did the picture, with Daimao looking appropriately different from Piccolo this time.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Miracles wrote:Dragonball Z getting dubbed.
That was your doing!? :shock:

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Bulma/Vegeta relationship (which made no sense at the time, BTW)
Honestly, that doesn't make much sense now.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Bussani wrote:
Yes, making Dragonball so popular fans across the seas formed the evil knowns as dub.
It's all of our doing, really.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Miracles wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Yes, making Dragonball so popular fans across the seas formed the evil knowns as dub.
It's all of our doing, really.
So, really, as the title indicates, what was your biggest mistake regarding Dragonball?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Leotaku wrote:In a similar drawing-related incident, I drew a re-creation of Goku punching through Piccolo Daimao. Not being that familiar with Daimao at the time, I just drew him like I'd draw Piccolo. I eventually re-did the picture, with Daimao looking appropriately different from Piccolo this time.
I remember those drawings... *sighs*

While your redone one was much better and more dynamic (I think Piccolo not being symmetrical and looking more like Daimao helped a lot, along with your general improvements), I think you should've kept Goku's eyes closed. He just looked... creepy and sort of gaga with them open. :shock:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Rocketman wrote:Honestly, that doesn't make much sense now.
Haha, yeah, I suppose you’re right. But it was a lot weirder when Vegeta was “full evil” and had little to do with the Z crew beyond what was necessary to achieve his goals, and Bulma was almost entirely MIA hiding behind Namekian cliffs all day long, than it was when they just happened to be two compatible species of the opposite sex in apparently close proximity on Earth with no immediate threats to preoccupy them…

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 pm

For me, it would have to be making this thread a whole month after the news had been announced on the site. It wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I hadn't e-mailed VegettoEX about this a while before I made the thread, thinking (why would I ever think this) he was, for some reason, unaware of a piece of Dragonball news that I knew of.

Now, the kicker of this whole story is that as I read the post on the Daizenshuu EX site that was made when this was first announced I realized that I had already read it, and I knew that everyone already knew about this. In my excitement at the prospect of being able to inform Mike of some bit of news that he was unaware of I completely spaced the fact that he was the one who told me this news in the first place, a whole month ago.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:14 pm

The first episodes of Dragonball Z that I saw as a kid were from the Namek arc, and I thought Gohan and Kuririn were the same age. (I mean, they're practically the same size!)