AMVs - The Creative Part?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

AMVs - The Creative Part?

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:15 pm

So, right now, I'm digging into the technical part of ripping video for AMVs, learning that I might have to re-rip them in a different way for convenience...this is hard!

But that's not what this thread is about. I was wondering if anybody had some tips for a guy just starting out with this sort of thing, in the creative sense.

I'm thinking about going for something "Fun" and humorous for my first video, if this thing ever gets made! Generally speaking, this is because, in my experience with writing, an original and humorous concept can smooth over some slight errors. But I'm looking for general tips regarding how things can go together, how to fit scenes with music...

In short, if I have an idea in my mind of what song to use, and what characters I want to use, what other tips would be helpful?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:28 pm

Have fun. Knock yourself out. That's it. There's nothing more to do.

Of course, that only takes you so far. As soon as you want other people to enjoy your work and start publicly putting it out there for their comment, you're in a totally different world. You should still absolutely being making it all for yourself and to have fun, but you can't ignore those other aspects.

Things like:

- Is it really funny? Or is it funny to just me? (see "Dead In Two Episodes")
- Am I telling my own story? Or am I telling the story from the show?
- Does it/something look awkward? If I think so, someone else is going to think so.
- Various other things I'm too-loopy-from-medicine to explain

For slightly-more-technical aspects, check out a video I did for an AMV panel back in 2004. You'll see examples of bad transitions, extraneous lip-flaps, orphan frames, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:- Is it really funny? Or is it funny to just me? (see "Dead In Two Episodes")
- Does it/something look awkward? If I think so, someone else is going to think so.
Which should it be?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:- Is it really funny? Or is it funny to just me? (see "Dead In Two Episodes")
Which should it be?
You can do either, but there is a distinct lack of originality in simply telling the exact story, verbatim/chronologically (see: "Doomrider"), as the actual original story. That's not to say you can't do it, but anyone can tell the same old story over and over.

It's when you start taking things out of context, developing new stories, experimenting with the footage, exploring existing topics/subjects/stories to a new, deeper level... that's when the artform/medium of AMVs actually takes a step up (see: "DBZ AMV Guide") and becomes something special.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:13 pm

If you want something quick and relatively but still "fun" to test yourself and sharpen your timing, music, and such skills, I'd suggest doing a trailer.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:53 pm

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:fun
I was about to say how I love it when people take videos of mine from seven years ago without attribution, but it looks like credits are indeed at the end. I barely remember that video ^^;;.

I concur on the trailer front, though. We try to get out at least one trailer every year*, simply because they're so much fun to make... and when they're done well, they're absolutely impressive beyond Hell. I'm not familiar with any of those other ones linked, though, so I'll have to check them out.

(* = 2001 / 2002 / 2003 / 2004 / no 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / no 2008)

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:54 pm

Hm. I'm personally never *too* fond of trailers for the most part, but it seems short and silly enough that I can do it just to amuse myself and learn a few things about how to do this before I work on a more "real" project. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh, but where do I get the audio for the trailer?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:01 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Oh, but where do I get the audio for the trailer?
I've always just ripped the audio from the DVDs...

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Oh, but where do I get the audio for the trailer?
I've always just ripped the audio from the DVDs...
...Oh! x_x

Haha, I own so very few Hollywood movies on DVD. The option never even OCCURRED to me. I think the most recent film I own on DVD is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. xD

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:54 pm

You can also just record audio from a YouTube clip.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote: no 2008)
There's still time! Go for it!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!