DB manga and anime changes similar to G.I. Joe?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

DB manga and anime changes similar to G.I. Joe?

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Kind of random, but recently I've been thinking that with DB and other manga-based anime is kind of similar in to how the G.I. Joe comic and cartoon were similar, in ways how some things were done as well as having some changes between the mediums. For example, both series had characters whose hair changed colors between mediums (Bulma and Hawk). Also both DB and G.I. Joe had main characters who were supposed to die/stay dead, but didn't due to some fans and higher-ups. And while G.I. Joe's comic and cartoon did not follow each other like DB, there were moments where they had similar events happen that were expanded upon in the cartoon, and like DB the comic took some references from the cartoon with some characters and events. Any thoughts?

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 pm

I thought you were going to bring up the fact that they both had motion pictures animated by Toei, but I was sadly mistaken ):

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Didn't know about that. Then again, been awhile since I saw the movie and it was on video my old man taped back around 88 that unfortunately doesn't have the creidits or the cool opening at the Statue of Liberty.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:17 am

And I thought you were going to compare what we've seen of each's live action movie...
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.