Goku R

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Goku R

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:16 pm

I know the basic idea for copyrights, but why does the American games have to write Goku with an R and Piccolo with an TM ? Whats the Difference and why don't they do it in Japan?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:53 pm

You know, I’ve always wondered about that. As near as I can figure, it could have to do with the fact that “piccolo” is also the name of an instrument. You might have to get a different sort of copyright for a preexisting word used in a new way. I can’t remember, but does Cell have an R or a TM? Because if he has a TM, I might be on the right track.

Ginyu Taiko
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ginyu Taiko » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:24 am

Yep, Cell has a TM after his name. I'm guessing your theory is correct since such characters as Gohan have an R.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:42 am

That's right? How come that the screen caps from the Spanish version [see meristation.com] didn't have (R) or TM after the names!? they shouldn't be there... specially since ATARI owns the rights to make the games...

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:30 am

(R) is for Registerd Trade Mark and means they own the rights to the word itself and that it offically belongs to the material/property in question. In this case, Dragonball. In other words, no one could ever name their own Original Character 'Goku' without breaking DB's copyright.

(TM) is just Trade Marked which shows that it's part of the material/property in question but is not owned exclusively by that copyright which means, so long as the name is not attatched to an alike character you can still use it. *In other words, no naming green men from Mars Piccolo. But you could name a little red dragon Piccolo and not be breaking the copyright.*
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:09 pm

Except of course, that anything marginally involving the Chinese legend on which DB was based will most likely have a character named "Goku," or more likely, "Son Goku." (You could, of course, go with Sun Wuk'ung, but nobody does!)

If the character also looked EXACTLY like Toriyama's Goku (or VERY closely resembled him), then you've got a trademark infringement on your hands.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:59 pm

What if one of your own made up characters is named Gohan but he's a dog. But he acts just like Gohan and has a little brother who's just like Goten. Is that ok?
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:35 pm

Ya, that should be good. I don't know if their both (R) or (TM) or what. So long as they're both (TM) and don't look like their DBZ counter-parts you should be good. ^^
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:24 pm

Ginyu Taiko wrote:I'm guessing your theory is correct since such characters as Gohan have an R.
I guess that means no doggy Gohan.