A new kind of Fighting Game! Or something...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

A new kind of Fighting Game! Or something...

Post by Herms » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:41 pm

I’d like them to make a Dragon Ball fighting game where they don’t have Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, or any of the other main characters. I’m sick of those, there’s got to be a gajillion of those kinda games already. I want one with Uub. And Kaio. And Piccolo Daimao. Has there ever been a fighting game with Daimao?

How about Appule? I’d like to play as him. Devilman? MummyMan? Grandpa Gohan? Kame Sen’nin?

KARIN! I’d give a leg to be able to play as Karin in a fighting game! That would be the greatest thing ever! Or maybe the Great Elder…

On second thought, maybe I shouldn’t take this idea too far.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:21 pm

I demand to play as the Tree of Godly Might.

Ultimate attack? Fruit Ripens.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:25 pm

Comet Gumori, the ultimate fighter.

You have 30 seconds to beat it, then it destroys everything. :lol:

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:36 pm

Unfortunately, that game wouldn't sell much... but if they incorporated them to future Budokais... that'd be great! I wish we could have a game with DB, DBZ, and DBGT characters all together to create fantasy fights!

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:04 am

VegettoEX wrote:I demand to play as the Tree of Godly Might.

Ultimate attack? Fruit Ripens.
Hmmm...*gets to work on game*

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:08 am

SonGokuGT wrote:Unfortunately, that game wouldn't sell much... but if they incorporated them to future Budokais... that'd be great! I wish we could have a game with DB, DBZ, and DBGT characters all together to create fantasy fights!
Nooo! No more Budokai's! I bought enough Budokai games in my life time!

How about another Final Bout or Super Butoden game?

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:17 am

Izlude wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:Unfortunately, that game wouldn't sell much... but if they incorporated them to future Budokais... that'd be great! I wish we could have a game with DB, DBZ, and DBGT characters all together to create fantasy fights!
Nooo! No more Budokai's! I bought enough Budokai games in my life time!

How about another Final Bout or Super Butoden game?
Well, apparently Webfoot heard your prayers, and created a sequel that somewhat blended elements from all games...with obscure characters!

Keep this leak on the down low, I don't wanna get shot.

http://lupin3.home.comcast.net/insfight.exe

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:28 am

I want to play as Ha-chan. ^_^
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:21 pm

Ha-chan is secret in the game, and I'm giving a hint to it.

Karin vs Karin, MAKES FOR ODD BEDFELLOWS!

Man that was a blatant hint.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:06 pm

Mudgen recieces 1000 Deus points.

Buggy as hell, but good for a laugh. :lol:

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:47 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Mudgen recieces 1000 Deus points.

Buggy as hell, but good for a laugh. :lol:
Webfoot's problem.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:47 pm

Murasaki. That’s who we need. Not only would being able to play as Murasaki be the greatest thing of all time, it would set the stage for the showdown of showdowns: Murasaki Vs. Mr. Satan!

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:29 am

Herms wrote:Murasaki. That’s who we need. Not only would being able to play as Murasaki be the greatest thing of all time, it would set the stage for the showdown of showdowns: Murasaki Vs. Mr. Satan!
Webfoot had licensing issues.

(Actually I should probably work on that game because, while the rushed bugs were partially intentional, it would be nice to have a simplistic, albeit crappy, fighting game that actually functions. I guess I'll be making a new select screen, adding some characters, new stages, new songs, and so forth next weekend. If it took me about an hour to bang out this, I have confidence I can bang out something playable in more time.)

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:52 pm

*nods along* Well, whatever you gotta do.

Hmmm...Tenka'Ichi Budokai Announcer?

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:42 pm

Herms wrote:*nods along* Well, whatever you gotta do.

Hmmm...Tenka'Ichi Budokai Announcer?
If time permits.

...Yes for sure.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:34 am

I to like the sound of that. I'd like to kick ass with Roshi/Jackie Chun, Demon King Piccolo, Karin and Tao Pie Pie.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:24 pm

Or Ranfan.

Hmmm....she *should* be a Budokai character! Think of the cool ingame movie moves she could have!
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:04 pm

Mutaito-Sama
Turles
Chi-Chi
Pilaf
Piccolo Daimaou
Tsuru-Sennin
Baby
Super Jyuunanagou
Jyuusangou and Super Jyuusangou
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:37 pm

The S wrote:Mutaito-Sama
Turles
Chi-Chi
Pilaf
Piccolo Daimaou
Tsuru-Sennin
Baby
Super Jyuunanagou
Jyuusangou and Super Jyuusangou
Hey S, I remember your game in Game Maker, so you should bang out something with your dream characters.

That'd be super awesome.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:47 am

Introducing... DRAGON BALL: Super Butoden Z

With hi-res Guilty Gear-style 2D sprites across massive 3D backgrounds that are full of mountains, trees, lakes, buildings, etc that you can smash your oppenent through and destory to your liking! Much like Legends and Super Sonic Warriors, you can have up to three characters on your team and your oppenent can have up to three characters on their team. You may switch between your characters at any time, or even have your characters fight on-screen alongside with you and gang up on an oppenent, or you may be fighting 3 guys all at once on your own!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Combat Basics

You have 4 main attack buttons - Weak Punch, Weak Kick, Strong Punch, Strong Kick, and then a button we'll call "Ki" which is used to charge up your Ki (tap the button rapdily), along with being used for things such as after image (Hold Ki and double tap any direction), using ki-blasts (QCF+Press and Hold Ki), rushing towards your oppenent (Hold Ki and press and hold forward, can only be done in Air Based fighting), and even free flight (In Ground to Air stages, hold up, and double tap ki button)

Ground and Aerial Combat!

Next you have three types of fighting -
Ground Based: In this type, the game plays like a typical 2D fighter, you can jump, super jump (press down then up, or while dashing jump), duck, dash/air dash, dash attacks, perform your special moves, along with combo's and some special attacks that are unique to ground based combat.

Air Based: This type is more diverse than ground based because your now in the sky. You can literally move in any direction now, and of course, dash to your liking! You can also perform dash attacks in any direction now. You also gain a new ability, you can fly straight into your oppenents while being shielded with an aura of ki that protects you from any small ki-blasts, and you will auto-block any incoming medium ki-blasts (This is called Rush). Finally, you have new combo's, and with some characters, new attacks that only work in Air Based.

Almost every stage allows you to switch between Ground and Air Based combat by simply knocking your oppenent high enough into the air/crashing them down onto the ground. When this happens, your character will shift into the new combat based zone and the fight will continue (Kinda like Hyper Dimension, except its much easier to do)

However, some stages will take advantage of both Ground and Air based, and thus our final fighting type. In this type, you can shift into flight mode simply while holding up, then doubling taping the Ki button, and you'll now be in flight mode!

The Many Uses of Ki

You have a Ki guage that stretches itself from 0% to 200%, and it fills itself as you use melee attacks on your oppenent, dash, block attacks, and of course, you can manually charge it your self at an increased rate by rapidly tapping the Ki button. There are 4 Levels of Ki - 50%, 100%, 150% and 200%. At each of these levels your attack rating (and sometimes endurance) may go up, and your characters apperance might change as well, which in some cases may affect your speed if they change shape (which will revert back when they hit zero ki).

The Ki guards main use is to perform Ki attacks, vary in size. Small ones use 10% each, while medium ones use 50% each. Then you have large or "Super" ki attacks which are unique to each character that use 100% of their ki. Some characters also have Ultimate Ki attacks that can be performed with 200% ki, this attacks cause massive damage, however, unlike small, medium and large ki attacks, they cannot be used as part of a combo and must be performed from a certain distance / direction from your oppenent.

For example, Freeza's Ultimate, the Death Ball can only be used when your half screen's distance away or more, and your above your oppenent, while Goku's Warp Kamehameha can be done anywhere on the screen, while Gohan's Raging Assult can be done only when your close to your oppenent. However, for those who do not possess Ultimate's, they have an Over Heat version of their super attacks, which uses 200% Ki, but does much more damage, and can still be used in a combo. For example, Jace can Over Heat his Crusher Ball, drastically increasing its damage, and use it in a combo.

Besides Ki attacks, Ki also allows your character to defend, putting up a Ki shield which is completely immune to any normal physical attacks, and small/medium ki attacks, and cuts the damage by 75% from special moves and large/ultimate ki attacks. However, using this ki shield drains your ki at a pace and is best to be used wisely.

Next use for Ki is Burst, this requires 100% ki per use, done by pressing Strong Punch+Strong Kick+Ki at the same time. Your character will burst with ki, knocking away any oppenents around them, and also will stop their combos in their tracks.

Finally there is the Z-Cancel, this uses 50% Ki per use and it allows you to cut down the delay in any move or cancel into another attack, making for great combo potential. Z-Cancel is performed by tapping the Ki button durring an attack. However, when you perform a Z-Cancel and continue to combo, your Ki will not increase until you end the combo, this is to prevent abuse of this ability and the potential of infinite/Full Life combos.

Guarding

Onto guarding, below your life gauge, you'll have a small stamina meter. Blocking reduces damages from melee attacks by 75% and Ki attacks by 25%. As you block normally, this meter drains, but slowly refills itself when your not blocking. If the meter drains completely, you'll be stunned, and your guard meter will shrink. If your guard meter shrinks to its lowest level, you will begin taking double damage.

Character Rooster (Inlcuding Alter-Ego's)

-The Good Guys-
Goku
Gohan/Teenage Gohan
Piccolo
Vegeta/Majin Vegeta
Future Trunks/Taipon
Android 18/Android 17
Android 16
Krillin/Buu Saga Krillin
Tenshinhan/Aged Tenshinhan
Yamcha/Aged Yamcha
Pikkon
Mister Buu
Kaioshin/Kibitoshin

-The Bad Guys-
Freeza/Cooler/Mecha Freeza/Metal Cooler
Cell/Super Perfect Cell
Broly
Janemba
Slug/Piccolo Daimo
Bojack/Super Android 13
Dabura/Wisp Dabura
Captain Ginyu/Goku Ginyu/Bulma Ginyu
Nappa/Recoome
Jace/Burter
Raditz
Tao Pai Pai/Cyborg Tao Pai Pai
Super Buu/Kid Buu

-Hidden Characters-
Gotenks/Teenage Gotenks
Gogeta/Vegetto
Garlic Jr
H e r c u l e

And that makes for a grand total of 30 fighters, not including Alter-Ego's, whom possess the same attacks, but look completely different. Some characters may also have an Ultimate Ki attack, and those that dont, have Over Heat Super Ki Attacks, and also, some characters are also faster than others, and may have more strength/endurance compared to some, and some of their transformations has their Ki increases will affect these attributes. For example, Trunks is a lot faster in his normal and SSJ state, but as he advances to USSJ he and USSJ2, he loses more and more speed, but gains greater power and endurance.

Play Modes

Arcade Mode: Basic mode where you select up to three characters and battle your way through 12 oppenents or 6 teams of of oppenents, with one surprize Final Boss (The Immortal Garlic Jr!) Beating arcade mode will earn you the right to input your initials on the hi-score ranking, followed with an artwork of your selected character that you can view in the art gallery.

Story Mode: Select from any fighter and go deep into their history with their personal story! Each fighter will advance through 5-10+ battles, with cinemas told using Manga-style imagery, and each character has their own Final Boss and then their own ending upon victory. Beating story mode allows you to unlock Alter Ego's and the hidden characters. Note that Alter Ego's cannot be played in story mode, except for Adult Gohan.

Battle For the Dragon Ball's: Make up a team of three fighters and againest the CPU or up to three other friends, battle it out across Earth or Planet Namek for the Dragon Ball's! Each team moves across the map following the DB radar in a race to each location that holds a DB. Then you must defeat the other teams of players whom hold a DB to accuire their DB's. When you have all seven, you win, and can wish for additional features/modes to be unlocked! Also depending on who you have on your team, you may get a special hidden ending! Using some alter ego characters may also influence these endings.

The Galaxy is In Danger!: In this mode, you pick any good/evil character and racing across the world, battling againest all good/evil characters on multiple planets and worlds intil everything is safe/under your control! You will also battle againest your own allies/other evil characters to convince them to join you in your cause/get them out of your way. Each character will have their own special ending in this mode as well, including Alter ego's.

H e r c u l e Super Butoden: You control H e r c u l e in a Final Fight-like game where you battle across the land taking on various characters and showing them the H e c u l e way is the ultimate way! As you advance through your oppenents, you can teach H e r c u l e how to fly and make limited use of his ki! This in turn opens up more of the DragonBall Z world for H e r c u l e to explore and test his strength!

Survival: Pick any character and battle through EVERY chracter in the game (Including characters you unlocked and their alter-ego's).

World Tournment: Battle again the CPU and/or up to three other friends in this tournment mode! You each pick one character and must win each match if you want to win it big! Beating Tournment mode will unlock some characters.

Free Battle: Battle however you wish whether it be one on one or with teams! You can also select any stage you want, as well as adjust handicaps.

Training/Pratice Mode: Simple enough, train with any character of your choice, or learn the basics of the game as Piccolo and Goku take turns instructing young Gohan.

Options: WTF? Change the settings of the game of course!

Art Gallery:: Like the name suggests, view artwork of characters, including ones you have earned in Arcade mode and also see character story mode and ending pictures!

History of DragonBall: A complete collection of information and images on the entire series from DB to Z, including manga to anime comparasions, images and even video clips, openings, endings, and more! As a bonus, Shin Butoden (For Sega Saturn) is playable!