How come Tien wasn't in the Buu Saga much?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 pm

Rocketman wrote:How was Raditz a good character?
What!?

"Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's green!"
"Why so blue, green man?"

Oh wait, that was original dub only.

Yeah, I guess outside of that Raditz was kind of lame. He fulfilled his role, an incentive for everyone to get some serious training done. Maybe some feel it a waste that Goku's only brother was thrown into a role like that, but it's better than a clichéd 'trying to win him back from the dark side' I've heard some people want.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 pm

To be honest, I also felt Yajirobe was wayy overused. They could've used him for much more, even more comic relief...

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Zuhalter2000 wrote:GO FOR 2!!! :lol: But really , he was a good character that went to waste like so many others (Raditz, Krillin, Yamucha, Uub, etc).
How was Raditz a good character?
He beat the hell out of Kakarrot and Piccolo by himself.

Every time I see your new avatar and read one of your posts, I picture Chi-Chi yelling everything that you said.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:05 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:To be honest, I also felt Yajirobe was wayy overused. They could've used him for much more, even more comic relief...
Yajirobe's a strange one. He comes in as some really impressive contrast to Goku (jovial hick versus asshole hick) but is quickly forgotten about. He didn't really further much of anything even in his début arc, which is generally when new characters get their chance to shine.

But he did do what Kuririn couldn't and cut off Vegeta's tail. And let us not forget his epic sword strike on Vegeta's back that nearly ended things (well, maybe not, but let's pretend!).
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

shinaobi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by shinaobi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:10 pm

I'd honestly say that Yajirobe was probably the most important character of the Saiyan Saga; he kept everyone from getting murdered by a giant angry monkey. From what I can tell he promptly disappeared after that, though; sure, you saw him here and there, but he basically just hung out with Korin and grew(or smoked) Senzu beans.
I dislike you intensely.(probably)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Maybe some feel it a waste that Goku's only brother was thrown into a role like that, but it's better than a clichéd 'trying to win him back from the dark side' I've heard some people want.
That's what I hear a lot, too. I am glad they didn't go that route, Tenkaichi 2's what-if thing was bad enough.
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Every time I see your new avatar and read one of your posts, I picture Chi-Chi yelling everything that you said.
:D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Tenshinhan made it clear that after the battle with Cell was over that the other Z-Senshi probably was not going to see him anymore after that battle. Therefore, his appearance during the Buu arc was a treat. In addition, it is sad that Toriyama could not allow him to at least keep up to Piccolo’s level of strength. Toriyama could have explored Tenshinhan’s alien ancestry in order for him to gain access to more power.
This. All of this.

MajinKing
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinKing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:12 am

Well when tenshinhan said we probably wont meet again in VOL 35 I think akira meant it. He probably just decided, well it's almost over, ill let him have a shot at boo for fan service.
90% of dragonball fans detest dragonballgt. If you are one of the 10% who like GT, post this in your signature.

Read my DBGT Remake fanfic! http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=9747
Read my DBAF fanfic, it has terrible writing the first few chapters but I improve in later ones, http://anime.myfavoritegames.com/creative-corner/fanworks-library/101320-dragonballaf.html

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:15 am

ShinRogafuken wrote:I just felt that he was such a great character!

I mean, they could have least did what they did with Krillin and Yamcha....
You want Ten to sit around pissing his pants and getting eaten? Because that's what they did.

Well, Krillin got to kick a fat guy's ass and attempted to fight Buu despite knowing he was probably gonna die again, but that's it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:03 am

Can you Private Message the links to the Tenshinhan websites you mentioned?
I have some:

http://www.tenshinhanjinja.com/

http://www.freewebs.com/tenshinhan/index.htm

http://threesthecharm.com/index.html
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:15 pm

I think it would have been nice to have one human character get some kind of "super human" status just to keep up with the SSJs. But as we all know, Even Roshi was super human, but what I mean is like a transformation, not as grandiose like gold hair, but something cool. I would pick Tenshinhan or Krillin. But it if DB was real life, Tenshinhan is the obvious choice as he was the more serious fighter.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Don't forget movie 9 and his fight with Trunks
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:31 pm

shinaobi wrote:I'll give Tenshinhan credit for managing to survive his arm getting punched off
Jedi manage it all the time, it's nothing special.

But really though, having an arm cut off wouldn't kill even a regular human (if immediate hospital attention was administered, that is...), unless it gets cut off at the wrist; then you're fucked.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:47 pm

Remember. He didn't get his arm cut off. His arm was punched off.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 pm

omegacwa wrote:I think it would have been nice to have one human character get some kind of "super human" status just to keep up with the SSJs. But as we all know, Even Roshi was super human, but what I mean is like a transformation, not as grandiose like gold hair, but something cool. I would pick Tenshinhan or Krillin. But it if DB was real life, Tenshinhan is the obvious choice as he was the more serious fighter.

Toriyama did have a means to increase Tenshinhan’s power. His alien ancestry could have been the means to accomplish this. Perhaps Toriyama could have devised a way for him to tap into some latent power that he inherited from his ancestors that he was not aware.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:14 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Don't forget movie 9 and his fight with Trunks
Easily one of my favourite movie fights.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
omegacwa wrote:I think it would have been nice to have one human character get some kind of "super human" status just to keep up with the SSJs. But as we all know, Even Roshi was super human, but what I mean is like a transformation, not as grandiose like gold hair, but something cool. I would pick Tenshinhan or Krillin. But it if DB was real life, Tenshinhan is the obvious choice as he was the more serious fighter.

Toriyama did have a means to increase Tenshinhan’s power. His alien ancestry could have been the means to accomplish this. Perhaps Toriyama could have devised a way for him to tap into some latent power that he inherited from his ancestors that he was not aware.
Yeah, it would have been an interesting direction to go in. But at that stage I maybe he thought he had enough characters already? I guess he could have squeezed Tenshinhan in somewhere.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Bussani wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:

Yeah, it would have been an interesting direction to go in. But at that stage I maybe he thought he had enough characters already? I guess he could have squeezed Tenshinhan in somewhere.
He could have finally sat Kuririn down and replaced him with Tenshinhan. Kuririn wanted to settle down anyway. I am glad Tenshinhan made an appearance in the Buu Saga and from his actions; he was far stronger than he was during the Cell story arc. I just wish he could have been more active during that portion of the story. Toei also could have used him in Dragonball GT beyond making a few cameos.

Chrome
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Chrome » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote: He could have finally sat Kuririn down and replaced him with Tenshinhan. Kuririn wanted to settle down anyway. I am glad Tenshinhan made an appearance in the Buu Saga and from his actions; he was far stronger than he was during the Cell story arc. I just wish he could have been more active during that portion of the story. Toei also could have used him in Dragonball GT beyond making a few cameos.
To be fair, in DBGT the majority of the cast felt like they were only making cameos. Tenshinhan, Krillin, Yamcha and many other characters simply became cardboard cut-outs, dusted off occassionally and put on display to show they're not dead.

I do wish they could've done more with the human characters. In particular Ten and Krillin. I was never a massive fan of Chiaotzu or Yamcha. Krillin at least got some vaguely interesting storylines, but Ten, I felt, was wasted entirely. Ten may have even made the Garlic Jr saga more watchable if he was involved, but as per usual he dissappeared entirely.
In a nutshell: Likes the sub and the dub and barely ever posts.
You'll probably find me [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/chromegloss55]here[/url] more often...

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 am

Man, I really just want to make an immature joke here and write that the real reason Tien didn't show up during the Buu saga because he was too busy hiding from Lunch. Her evil side was constantly stalking the long warrior and when she finally cornered him in mountain tops some where, she forced herself onto his body...Tee-hee. But I understand this was serious question that deserved a legitimate answer.

On the serious note, I try not to look to much into it. Tenshinhan just became useless a useless character after a while. Believe me He's is one of my FAVORITE characters but even I knew was he never going appear much (if at all) after the Cell Saga. It's hard to write for a character that can't really tribute anything to the story anymore and throwing a ultra powerful, secret, bullshit, plot device, technique just to make him relevant again probably wouldn't be believable to the reader or the viewer. It was best to just make him fade into the shadows...

Wait second....Why does "secret, ultra, powerful, plot device, bullshit technique" ring a bell?