Dragon Ball Z Being Re-edited and Re-dubbed for HDTV

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZOceanHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZOceanHD » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:25 pm

As far as DragonSmall Z, I am hoping he continues it. It would be a shame to waste it now. He did a good job on episode one.

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 pm

I still haven't watched it :oops:
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:09 pm

As far as DragonSmall Z, I am hoping he continues it. It would be a shame to waste it now. He did a good job on episode one.

I don't know what I'm going to do. If DBZ is actually being condensed into 100 episodes, then the goal is already complete, a faster paced DBZ. Not as fast paced as what I would've done, with an estimate of 25-35 episodes for the entire series in Dragon Small Z, but still a big jump from 291. This is what is going to happen if the 100 episode thing is true. I will release all the project files for anyone who wants to continue the project. I'll be doing video edits such as Freeza killing Cargo instead of Dodoria, etc. I take requests.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:As far as DragonSmall Z, I am hoping he continues it. It would be a shame to waste it now. He did a good job on episode one.

I don't know what I'm going to do. If DBZ is actually being condensed into 100 episodes, then the goal is already complete, a faster paced DBZ. Not as fast paced as what I would've done, with an estimate of 25-35 episodes for the entire series in Dragon Small Z, but still a big jump from 291. This is what is going to happen if the 100 episode thing is true. I will release all the project files for anyone who wants to continue the project. I'll be doing video edits such as Freeza killing Cargo instead of Dodoria, etc. I take requests.
It depends on how this new version of Dragon Ball Z turns out, but it might still not be as close to the manga as possible. If it isn't then there's still room for a project that attempts to create that. I know a lot of people are interested in the idea.

DBZOceanHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZOceanHD » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 pm

It is unfortunate that just when you announced this fantastic project, Toei came along and began to do something similar. I tell you what. I am currently working on an editing project that will take time, but I would be happy to continue this if you’re not, Khalid. I would probably make it more about what is in the Manga, though. It’s up to you, though. You can restart following the Manga pretty much exclusively (people are interested in that idea). I hope to get into contact with you.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Bussani wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:As far as DragonSmall Z, I am hoping he continues it. It would be a shame to waste it now. He did a good job on episode one.

It depends on how this new version of Dragon Ball Z turns out, but it might still not be as close to the manga as possible. If it isn't then there's still room for a project that attempts to create that. I know a lot of people are interested in the idea.
I know, that's why I'll keep my eye on it.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 pm

The differences between cultures here really shows.

There's something I think both can agree on with the film but whenever it comes to the series itself there's always a huge gap.

This news of the 'decade' has hit over here with the force of a feather dropping on a baby's laugh, nestled on the back of a giant flop-eared bunny resting on a fuzzy quilt.

First it received mention in a small corner of the merch. section of JUMP, it doesn't get mention at JUMP Festa (nor did they mention anything big was coming) and when I stop my students in the hallway that I know are DB fans and attempt to guage their excitement it's met with an, "Oh, really? Hm. If I'm not busy maybe I'll watch it."

DB is so deeply ingrained into lifestyle over here that it almost doesn't matter unless Toriyama is doing something. Hence the enormous brewhahaha over Toriyama drawing Hamasaki on morning TV.
Which if you haven't seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpS-B9ukOpM

It's interesting to see what the 'Western' culture sees as big and exciting and the Japanese interpret as being business as usual. Incidently, the fanart of SSJ5-1000000 fascinates the shit out of them.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:The differences between cultures here really shows.

There's something I think both can agree on with the film but whenever it comes to the series itself there's always a huge gap.

This news of the 'decade' has hit over here with the force of a feather dropping on a baby's laugh, nestled on the back of a giant flop-eared bunny resting on a fuzzy quilt.

First it received mention in a small corner of the merch. section of JUMP, it doesn't get mention at JUMP Festa (nor did they mention anything big was coming) and when I stop my students in the hallway that I know are DB fans and attempt to guage their excitement it's met with an, "Oh, really? Hm. If I'm not busy maybe I'll watch it."

DB is so deeply ingrained into lifestyle over here that it almost doesn't matter unless Toriyama is doing something. Hence the enormous brewhahaha over Toriyama drawing Hamasaki on morning TV.

It's interesting to see what the 'Western' culture sees as big and exciting and the Japanese interpret as being business as usual. Incidently, the fanart of SSJ5-1000000 fascinates the shit out of them.
Haha, that's an interesting discrepancy alright. I'm surprised the fans over there aren't taking more interest. Even if it is like you say, has this ever been done for an anime in the past? I find it interesting and exciting just because of that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:09 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:The differences between cultures here really shows.

How about the online Japanese fan-culture, though? I know it's very different from our own, but are any Japanese fansites all in a craze over it?

I'm sure if you asked a random kid in middle school here in America that's been a fan of the dub for a while what they thought of this news, they'd have the same (ambivalent) reaction.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:...It's interesting to see what the 'Western' culture sees as big and exciting and the Japanese interpret as being business as usual. Incidently, the fanart of SSJ5-1000000 fascinates the shit out of them.
What image of Super Saiyan 5 is it something new?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:51 pm

How about the online Japanese fan-culture, though?
From some online communities and the biggest community in Mixi I'm seeing a lot of excitement devoted to new DB Happy Meals and fried chicken at Lawson convenient stores.

Of course fans are expressing happiness about the series:

うぉぉぉぉぉぉ
毎週日曜日は早起き決定

But it's an interesting beast. The 'online' community in Japan is somewhat different than that in the States, I'm not sure about the rest of the world. A good deal of the people excited for it are fans that never got to see it before because of their age. I have one 1st year who is psyched because she can't afford to rent all the DVDs and never got to see it in the first run since she, well, was a toddler when it ended.

But she's also a Paris Hilton clone. That is to say, she's not exactly the kind of person you associate with the online fandom. Now, that's a testament to the appeal and cultural absorption of the series over here, but it also shows the difference between the online communities here and there. That's because fans that I think are on EX and Julian's level, that is to say, faithfully devoted but not mentally ill, have already been deluged with it through the anime channel, past weekly rebroadcasts, the DVDs, etc. A lot of people you wouldn't necessarily think of being DB fans in the States, are hyped for it, while long-time fans seem interested but underwhelmed.

It's just one of the results of DB's place and (incredible) importance in the society.
What image of Super Saiyan 5 is it something new?
Jesus no. Fanart. They think AF is a real series. It's become a believable urban legend over here.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:57 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:Jesus no. Fanart. They think AF is a real series. It's become a believable urban legend over here.
Most likely because Japanese fandom does (or at least does in any of my fandoms) tend to gravitate towards lots of smaller sites dedicated to specific aspects of a series and BBS boards rather than one to three big all encompassing ones, which allows rumour and legend to go unchallenged.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:15 pm

People actually believe AF is real over there?! :shock:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Enough people believe it's real over "here" with the benefit of having large Dragon Ball sites like this one rebuking it.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:Enough people believe it's real over "here" with the benefit of having large Dragon Ball sites like this one rebuking it.
I love when people try to prove that it's real to me by showing me poorly edited pictures they've found.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:11 pm

I haven't read everything that has been posted here, so can anyone tell me if there's been any word on how consistently this v1.2 of the show will be aired? Will it really be once a week for the next two years or so?! Is that normal for such Shonen anime in Japan these days?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:23 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I haven't read everything that has been posted here, so can anyone tell me if there's been any word on how consistently this v1.2 of the show will be aired? Will it really be once a week for the next two years or so?! Is that normal for such Shonen anime in Japan these days?
Shounen anime air for a long time. Konjiki no Gash Bell was 150 episodes and ran for 3 years. I'm pretty sure this is the first time something like this has happened, but from what we've heard from people like Mike and Hujio I think weekly episodes sounds likely.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:17 am

People actually believe AF is real over there?!
They think it's an American series.

Which when you think about how Americans think it's a Japanese series, it's one of those paradoxes in life that causes your dick to shrivel up and drop off like a raisin.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:26 am

omae no kaasan wrote:Which when you think about how Americans think it's a Japanese series, it's one of those paradoxes in life that causes your dick to shrivel up and drop off like a raisin.
That causes your what to do what like a what!?

All I know is that now I'm no longer going to read Toyable's AF.

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:49 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:I haven't read everything that has been posted here, so can anyone tell me if there's been any word on how consistently this v1.2 of the show will be aired? Will it really be once a week for the next two years or so?! Is that normal for such Shonen anime in Japan these days?
It's fairly common, random examples being;

Rurouni Kenshin: 96 episodes
Inuyasha: 165 episodes
Bleach: 205 episodes
Naruto (Including Shippuden): 316 episodes
One Piece: 388 episodes
Detective Conan: 525 episodes
Pokemon (All series): 1,000+ episodes.

And all of these each air one week after the other, stopping occassionally for 1 or 2 week breaks which is usually only if there's something in the schedule or a public holiday.

But the series tend to just run from beginning to end, never actually stopping. So 100 episodes devoted to what was a...
fairly popular series, is perfectly possible.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.